Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Live draft pick trading could be in next year

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-2...e-in-next-year

THE AFL looks increasingly likely to introduce American-style live draft pick trading during each year's national draft – and possibly as soon as 2018.

AFL.com.au reported in June the draft night innovation was being discussed among the AFL's player movement working group.

It would be another significant development after free agency changed the AFL exchange landscape forever in 2012.

Details are still being worked out, but the situation has advanced to the point where Hawthorn recruiting and list manager Graham Wright and Geelong chief executive Brian Cook discussed it publicly the past two days.

In-draft trading would enable clubs to assess the value of their picks on the run and make moves based on which players are still available to increase their chance of landing targeted footballers.

Swap central: Why did your club trade picks?

American sporting leagues, such as the NBA and NFL, can trade players and picks during their drafts, but Wright's belief was AFL clubs would be restricted to picks only, at least initially.

"It hasn't been fully tested and how it would work and where we'd all be and whether (clubs) would be … at our home bases or whether we're in one venue, how it all works hasn't all been finalised," Wright told hawthornfc.com.au.

"But my opinion is it will come in next year, which will be exciting. I think the Trade Period will probably work similarly to how it is now, so there will be picks and players going around October 20.

"Then I think the way it will work is you'll be able to trade picks basically after that period of time, where players stop, all the way through to the draft and in the draft. It will be an exciting and new phase in what the draft will look like."

Cook, speaking on Melbourne radio station SEN on Saturday, said live draft pick trading was inevitable in the AFL.

"To be really honest, I wouldn’t get involved in that, and so I'm only perceiving what my people would feel about that," Cook said.

"I'd think they would prefer not to, but I just think there's going to be more and more changes with more and more flexibility and movement between players and draft picks and so forth and so on in the next few years.

"It's just something we have to do, I think."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Live draft pick trading could be in next year

This doesn't fill me with confidence. We've just had a nearly 2 week trade period where it was basically a snorefest until the last day and now we think the clubs will have all their stuff together on one night.

They tried reversing the draft order to build excitement but that failed and I'll wait to see if this little initiative adds any value.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Just call the kids names out. That's intetesting enough.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes chef, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Just call the kids names out. That's intetesting enough.
    Agree. I dont get all this trying to invent excitement.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Fixing something that isn't broken. Again.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It works well in the US because players can be traded without consent. If it's a matter of being able to trade picks on draft night, or from now to draft night, then I'm not sure what benefit it adds.

If anything it'll increase the time certain clubs take and make the process more agonising and less exciting.

8. Likes divvydan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    It works well in the US because players can be traded without consent. If it's a matter of being able to trade picks on draft night, or from now to draft night, then I'm not sure what benefit it adds.

If anything it'll increase the time certain clubs take and make the process more agonising and less exciting.
    Plus the players selected on the day in the US are well known because the college games are hugely popular and televised.
    Most people that follow the AFL have minimal understanding of the players likely to be selected. It's also very much at the infancy level at the moment.

They need to build towards this rather than rushing.

Post Thanks / Like

If this happens how long & boring will draft night be?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Plus the players selected on the day in the US are well known because the college games are hugely popular and televised.
    Most people that follow the AFL have minimal understanding of the players likely to be selected. It's also very much at the infancy level at the moment.

They need to build towards this rather than rushing.

That ain't gonna happen. We have to do this ASAP. Thinking through the consequences is for wimps. Bugger that!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think this would be widely used - it's alright when you can trade players too, as their value can be pretty well approximated by swapping picks around, but pick swaps are harder to make fair, and harder to find a willing trading partner for

Brisbane wanting to give us pick 40 for Campbell mid draft because a mature age ruck they wanted is gone - sure. Brisbane wanting to get pick 16 from us for 25 & 40 mid draft to select a slider - why would we want to do that, and we don't even have the list spot
    Last edited by boydogs; 23-10-2017 at 02:31 AM.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm envisaging we will we still have a trade period and then follow it up with a mini trade day attached to the draft. Is that what they are aiming for?

So prior to the draft North could potentially trade pick 4 and say Goldstein for pick 1?

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm envisaging we will we still have a trade period and then follow it up with a mini trade day attached to the draft. Is that what they are aiming for?

So prior to the draft North could potentially trade pick 4 and say Goldstein for pick 1?
    They're talking about picks only, not players
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    They're talking about picks only, not players
    Thanks, Maybe there won't be too many swaps then

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to run a few scenarios where this makes some sense or more importantly adds some to the draft night but I still can't work it out.

So if I understand it correctly after the trade period clubs will potentially get together and find out which clubs might be prepared to trade something this year for something else this year or next.

So just as a hypothetical we had pick #9 this year and the player we wanted at that pick Nick Coffield was taken at pick #8 by the Saints.
    For some reason we now don't quite need that high of a pick but we know that West Coast are desperate for Naughton and we trade them pick #9 and our 4th round pick in 2018 for their pick #13 this year and a 3rd round pick in 2018.

Is that the way it's going to or likely to work?

So is it safe to assume that the only real value is if the player a team was really after was taken and the next one on their shopping list could potentially be taken later on? The only currency a team can use is picks for the current season and next?

I'm guessing that there could also be a swap amongst multiple clubs as well?

I guess if a club gets this right it will be a popular option but the main question I have is do clubs priorities really change on the draft night that they need to pull the trigger other changes?

Post Thanks / Like

So is it safe to assume that the only real value is if the player a team was really after was taken and the next one on their shopping list could potentially be taken later on? The only currency a team can use is picks for the current season and next?
    Or there's a slider a club wants to get in on

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...34d4cdde7c1f73

Formerly gogriff