Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1975

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Walk around the streets Easty. Swan st, Adelaide st, cross st, Barkly st. Walk up to Sims and back, that trip should be on the bucket list of every bulldog supporter.
    Hocking, Cross, Gordon, Barkly the big 4
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Hocking, Cross, Gordon, Barkly the big 4

Yeah, I don't know a walk along Gordon street would be advisable mate. It would be a bit like standing on the side of a Grand Prix race track hitchhiking.

And it's more the streets across the road from the ground like Adelaide, Swan, Sydney, Eleanor, Southampton streets that will give you a feel of what it was like. Those blocks have barely changed in 100 years, although I can't see the redevelopers waiting forever.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I don't know a walk along Gordon street would be advisable mate. It would be a bit like standing on the side of a Grand Prix race track hitchhiking.

And it's more the streets across the road from the ground like Adelaide, Swan, Sydney, Eleanor, Southampton streets that will give you a feel of what it was like. Those blocks have barely changed in 100 years, although I can't see the redevelopers waiting forever.
    The good thing about those streets is the blocks are not wide, so if a developer wanted to get in they would have to buy at least 3 or 4 houses to knock down.

I grew up in Wales street and most of the streets around there like Empress, Coronation, have small blocks as well. My cousin lives on Kingsville st, and the blocks are huge and therefore lots of flats.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The good thing about those streets is the blocks are not wide, so if a developer wanted to get in they would have to buy at least 3 or 4 houses to knock down.

I grew up in Wales street and most of the streets around there like Empress, Coronation, have small blocks as well. My cousin lives on Kingsville st, and the blocks are huge and therefore lots of flats.

Mum lives in the area bounded by Francis and Somerville road where the new suburb is being built 100 metres away. It's weird watching the neighbours you've known for decades get tattslotto offers for their property and then have to make a decision. Amenity or money? And if I stay how much of the amenity is going to be left? Dr Wong in Roberts st retired last year and his old practice is about to be redeveloped into units so that's one less doctor in the neighbourhood and 20 more residents traipsing into Footscray to see a doctor. As a result Thring the Chemist in Somerville rd doesn't get as much business so she is thinking of closing so yet another very useful to the locals fast food place takes her shopfront meaning the closest pharmacy is a 30 minute walk away. Less amenity, more people looking for a parking spot.

I'm an only child and I already know what my choice between amenity and money will be when the time comes.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah a lot of cars turning off from Geelong Road into Gordon Street.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Mum lives in the area bounded by Francis and Somerville road where the new suburb is being built 100 metres away. It's weird watching the neighbours you've known for decades get tattslotto offers for their property and then have to make a decision. Amenity or money? And if I stay how much of the amenity is going to be left? Dr Wong in Roberts st retired last year and his old practice is about to be redeveloped into units so that's one less doctor in the neighbourhood and 20 more residents traipsing into Footscray to see a doctor. As a result Thring the Chemist in Somerville rd doesn't get as much business so she is thinking of closing so yet another very useful to the locals fast food place takes her shopfront meaning the closest pharmacy is a 30 minute walk away. Less amenity, more people looking for a parking spot.

I'm an only child and I already know what my choice between amenity and money will be when the time comes.
    Is that the same Dr Wong (i think that was his name) that operated on Williamstown rd near the corner of Charles st or something?

The trouble is when you sell you have to buy something else.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that the same Dr Wong (i think that was his name) that operated on Williamstown rd near the corner of Charles st or something?

The trouble is when you sell you have to buy something else.

Dr S. K. Wong. I don't know if he had another practice but it would surprise me because he didn't come across as a dilettante or an empire builder. He derived his satisfaction in life from actually helping people to get better not seeing how much he money he could extract out of them.

25 years ago my dad wasn't feeling very well and mum rang Dr Wong and described the symptoms. He listened to the symptoms, put the phone down and ran to my parents' house, took one look at dad and rang 000. The woman on the 000 number wasn't all that keen on dispatching an ambulance until Dr Wong told her he was a doctor and he'd like her name to pass onto her superiors during the investigation he would institute if dad died! about 90 seconds later we could hear the sirens.

He was magnificent that day.

9. Likes bornadog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds a bit dangerous. Surely he could have done that in a surgery?!

(boom tish)
    Crumbs!

11. Likes bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W W Biscuit View Post
    Sounds a bit dangerous. Surely he could have done that in a surgery?!

(boom tish)

He is a man of many talents.

His wife and son used to come to bulldog games with us. Mrs Wong could cut up pretty rough at times!