Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cloke opens up on Mental Health Struggles.

Cloke opens up on mental health struggles.

Recently retired forward Travis Cloke has revealed his difficulties in being able to break away from social media, which he believes was a major factor in his mental health battles this year.

The 2010 Collingwood premiership forward missed two games in the middle of this season for second club the Western Bulldogs after admitting that he was battling depression.

Cloke says that these struggles were a culmination of a tough two to three years mentally, citing the impact of social media criticism as a big factor towards his degrading mental health.

“I took so much on, a lot of pressure and obviously social media is a big influence on all our lives,” he told SEN’s Crunch Time.

“It’s the way the game has gone, the way advertisement is happening and the way players are there to build their own brand.

“Anyone can say what they want to say on social media, and it’s not necessarily those one or two comments that gets you, it’s death by 1000 cuts. You read it after a game, week in, week out. You start doubting yourself and having insecurities and I broke down this year.

“I was just sitting there one day and I thought this was all too much for me, I need to talk to someone here and I need a bit of help here.

“That’s the tough thing. Footy is such a robust, masculine sport. To show feelings or emotions is almost frowned upon, but I think we are getting there as an industry and also as a sport.”

Cloke says that simply removing himself from social media wasn’t a straight forward action, believing that an addiction to social networking sites is tough to break.

“I did remove myself from social media. I deleted Twitter and really limited how I used social networking, but sometimes it’s hard to remove yourself from something that’s so addictive,” he said.

“Addiction isn’t nearly always to do with drinking, alcohol or gambling, you can have social media addiction as well.

“It’s tough. Mental health as well is probably an issue that is on the rise in professional sport, not just football, and in society.

“The way we use our phones now is so important to all of us in any work environment so it is a little bit of education and a little bit of understanding of what we use it for, but it’s also trying to take time away from just your phone in general.”

Cloke says that he feels for the pressure younger players will now have to deal with, advising them to try and spend as much of their time away from their respective clubs off social media.

“I feel sorry for the young kids coming through because it is going to be a tough environment to cope with the mental stress but also the physical stress of AFL football,” he said.

“I worked with young Josh Schache when he was coming through the AIS academy at Collingwood, he was there for a week. I always told him balance about football and lifestyle is important.

“I think that’s the key now more than ever. Really work hard when you’re at the footy club, but you also need to find time to switch off and remove yourself from that football world and that bubble because it is so contagious here in Melbourne and it is so hard to remove yourself from.”

Cloke played 256 games in his 12-year AFL career, booting 452 goals.

He says he is yet to decide whether he will emulate his older brothers and enter local footy after their AFL careers were over.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cloke opens up on Mental Health Struggles.

So how much should boards and forums like us take responsibility and look at ourselves?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

4. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I very much doubt players go onto football forums and even less club specific forums. It's be twitter FB etc he's referring to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    So how much should boards and forums like us take responsibility and look at ourselves?
    A fair bit but you won't change people from potting or ridiculing players. If I was a player or coach that was finding the content hard to deal with I wouldn't visit the sites. Don't forget what goes on at the grounds can be pretty bad as well.

I feel for Cloke, good bloke and it's a shame he's lost to footy. Hopefully he will find the right balance.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I very much doubt players go onto football forums and even less club specific forums. It's be twitter FB etc he's referring to.
    We've had a few players on here over the years but yes it's mainly FB and Twitter that were the issue for him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So he's already mentored Josh Schache. Come back Trav, I'm sure Josh and the club would benefit from working together as a mentor/assistant coach type role.

Plus, good on you for having the guts to talk about issues that in past times wouldn't have been discussed openly. Future players will be better off for it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I heard this interview today. Sam McLure was hellbent on creating a 'Bulldogs in crisis' narrative at the start but Trav gave him donuts, so the narrative quickly went to social media.

Our club is saying nothing but I am personally sick and tired of the negativity surrounding our club by these pieces of shit in the media who are cultivating a negative narrative about us without any regard for fact. We all need to bombard the likes of McLure and let him know we are onto his bullshit and call him out in it. Ditto Cooney, Barrett, Watson and any other farkwit scribe out there with a mouthpiece.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I heard this interview today. Sam McLure was hellbent on creating a 'Bulldogs in crisis' narrative at the start but Trav gave him donuts, so the narrative quickly went to social media.

Our club is saying nothing but I am personally sick and tired of the negativity surrounding our club by these pieces of shit in the media who are cultivating a negative narrative about us without any regard for fact. We all need to bombard the likes of McLure and let him know we are onto his bullshit and call him out in it. Ditto Cooney, Barrett, Watson and any other farkwit scribe out there with a mouthpiece.
    I can't believe Cooney's negativity, the guy has a chip on his shoulder about the club that gave him an opportunity to play AFL
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The club is very good at saying nothing and I prefer that they stick to the club stuff than worry about outside white noise , if they did they would spend most of their time defending the club, let's just let the club attend to business and leave us woofers to call out the crap :-)
    Bring back the biff

14. Likes Smads57, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cooney is a flog its embrassing the way he talks about the Bombers like he was a club great when in fact all of the Bombers fans hated him.

16. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickenitup View Post
    Cooney is a flog its embrassing the way he talks about the Bombers like he was a club great when in fact all of the Bombers fans hated him.
    He only played 31 games at the bombers I don't understand the unbridled love he has for them.
    And he loves putting us down , why ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Round 1 next year.

Let's get our shit together over the pre season and then belt the Giants by 10 goals in Round 1.

That will shut them up for a while.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

19. Likes hujsh, bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Round 1 next year.

Let's get our shit together over the pre season and then belt the Giants by 10 goals in Round 1.

That will shut them up for a while.
    I would love to see that, and Tom Boyd run through Stringer, in round 3, legally of course
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes McLure is a pain. Believes his own bath water. I try to avoid him on the radio. He tries to make headlines up when they are not there. I also can't understand Cooney's love for the Bummers and the disdain for us. He probably still holds it against us for getting rid of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He only played 31 games at the bombers I don't understand the unbridled love he has for them.
    And he loves putting us down , why ?
    Might have something to do with the fact his wife is employed by them. He's loyal to whoever is paying.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.