Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs to lose good Friday

Seems that the saints will replace us in this fixture

Disappointing outcome for the club

2. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs to lose good Friday

Winning not enough. Huge crowd not enough. Our families trying to create new traditions not enough. Happy to take increased revenue with selling our games to advertisers this year.

AFEL in every sense.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So what exactly were the KPIs we didn't meet that justifies taking the game away from us but letting North keep it?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to know why our claims on Good Friday games hasn't been successful? I think our promotion of the game was spot on and certainly the participation was a good number as well. I'd also like to know what playing other teams on the day offers the AFL and the AFL community? Perhaps a schedule that has 2 years on and one year off so that 3 teams can rotate through could be a decent compromise but purely on perception of that we've been shunted aside without an adequate explanation.

There need to be a significant level of transparency in what the AFL is doing here.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like they gave us one to shut us up. So AFL.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Winning not enough. Huge crowd not enough. Our families trying to create new traditions not enough. Happy to take increased revenue with selling our games to advertisers this year.

AFEL in every sense.
    On the crowd point it was a dogs away game. I was at the game and crowd was support was 50/50, which means majority of dog fans had to put their hard earned over the counter and pay for entry and a reserved seat.

As a rule I don’t like 4pm - 4.40pm games but I went to support the club in the belief the AFL would do the right thing and give us the home game in 2018.

Clearly I was wrong.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

9. Likes bulldogtragic, anfo27, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets see if the Saints come out for the game like we did.

North likely won't get a huge turnout since they look like big ole contenders for the spoon.

Could well be an awful game (Hello Essendon vs Carlton 2019?)

Post Thanks / Like

Up yours McLaughlin!
    Keep looking after the big Vic clubs although they have rorted the system for years. Keep giving the artificial teams drafting favours and bucketloads of money but do not give the Dogs Good Friday although it would acknowledge the club's honest and magnificent rise against the odds and it's fair claim on the event.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

This smacks of a group of senior leaders in a corporation doing everything they can at any expense to achieve their incentive targets.
    Its the sort of short term thinking that others pay for down the track.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's an utter shambles for the AFL this year.

North fans will stay away in droves throughout 2018.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Not concerned by this at all.

From a selfish POV, it cost a fortune for family tickets thanks to Norf's "blockbuster" tax. Then had to put up with Melbourne's pathetic public transport system after the game - took over 2 hours, when it is normally a 25 minute trip.

It would not surprise me at all if AFL HQ are still experimenting with the format, and will continue to rotate the teams each year - Norf have been pushing for it for decades, so it is only fair they get the first couple. The only question now is will the tragic club from Royal Parade get a gig, or will we get to host the 27 time wooden spooners in 2019.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Not concerned by this at all.

From a selfish POV, it cost a fortune for family tickets thanks to Norf's "blockbuster" tax. Then had to put up with Melbourne's pathetic public transport system after the game - took over 2 hours, when it is normally a 25 minute trip.

It would not surprise me at all if AFL HQ are still experimenting with the format, and will continue to rotate the teams each year - Norf have been pushing for it for decades, so it is only fair they get the first couple. The only question now is will the tragic club from Royal Parade get a gig, or will we get to host the 27 time wooden spooners in 2019.
    Yeah, thinking about it short of forming our entire membership into a human pyramid I literally don't know what else we were supposed to do to justify keeping it and frankly we can't control what the AFeL does what's the point of getting upset about it?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    The only question now is will the tragic club from Royal Parade get a gig, or will we get to host the 27 time wooden spooners in 2019.
    This better not happen, they already get a number of blockbusters, why the hell should they get more. I really hate the AFL and their contrived fixture.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This better not happen, they already get a number of blockbusters, why the hell should they get more. I really hate the AFL and their contrived fixture.
    Contrived everything. Control freaks.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a flop this year, that gives the AFL a chance to say "let's try it with a couple big clubs."

Reckon this is all part of a plan to just shut the small clubs up and enable them to put the blockbusters in the hands of the big clubs.