Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs to lose good Friday

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    If it's a flop this year, that gives the AFL a chance to say "let's try it with a couple big clubs."

Reckon this is all part of a plan to just shut the small clubs up and enable them to put the blockbusters in the hands of the big clubs.
    Average all games at Etihad - 2017

WBulldogs: 37,969
    Saints: 31,568
    North: 29,089
    Last edited by bornadog; 29-10-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Average all games at Etihad

WBulldogs: 37,969
    Saints: 31,568
    North: 29,089
    Is that this year?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Is that this year?
    Yes 2017, I made the edit.

Includes 42,000 for Good Friday
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

For all their want to change teams playing on Good Friday why doesn't the AFEL change the teams on all the blockbuster matches yearly. They have now set a precedent so there is nothing stopping them now. We know it won't happen but it bloody well should.

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How much is it the AFL and how much say would the networks have in it.
    It would be more about ratings than bums on seats I would think in this day and age of huge media rights.
    Networks would be asking for the bigger supporter based clubs to get the cream to increase their potential ratings.
    And not looking at members, the surveys would have gone out with the question what AFL club do you follow.
    Collingwood would be a large portion of that. What ever their members are their followers would be triple or more.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Why do Essendon Collingwood get the Anzac day game every year? Why????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PedroArvy View Post
    Why do Essendon Collingwood get the Anzac day game every year? Why????
    Tradi$hon.

I'm aware its not spelt like that.
    "It's over. It's all over."

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    For all their want to change teams playing on Good Friday why doesn't the AFEL change the teams on all the blockbuster matches yearly. They have now set a precedent so there is nothing stopping them now. We know it won't happen but it bloody well should.
    With tongue in cheek maybe we should have engaged Kevin Sheedy to retain our Good Friday presence. Hasn't he been the force behind most of the AFL blockbuster games? North appear to be the flavour of the month ATM with the AFL also wanting to replace Hawthorn to allow Norf to become the sole tenant in Tassie. You can quite understand PG's current war on the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

According to the Coodabeens Kevin Sheedy invented Anzac Day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Not Bitter Anymore View Post
    According to the Coodabeens Kevin Sheedy invented Anzac Day

They mean Bruce Ruxton.

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This better not happen, they already get a number of blockbusters, why the hell should they get more. I really hate the AFL and their contrived fixture.
    Exactly. This Good Friday game was supposed help those clubs including ours that don't get those big 'blockbuster' games like the big clubs. If that's the case then it's very very dissapointing.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    On the crowd point it was a dogs away game. I was at the game and crowd was support was 50/50, which means majority of dog fans had to put their hard earned over the counter and pay for entry and a reserved seat.

As a rule I don’t like 4pm - 4.40pm games but I went to support the club in the belief the AFL would do the right thing and give us the home game in 2018.

Clearly I was wrong.
    Went along to the Good Friday game as well. Was a very good crowd of 42K. The AFL really need to clarify what is going on with this fixture.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

16. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Give us time to build Good Friday: Roos
    NORTH Melbourne is confident it can build Good Friday into a marquee game if given the necessary time by the AFL.

The Kangaroos played on Good Friday for the second time last week, beating St Kilda by 52 points before a crowd of 33,966.

That crowd was a significant drop from the 42,814 who watched North host the Western Bulldogs in the augural Good Friday game last season, while the standard of that match – a thriller the Dogs won by three points – was vastly better than last Friday's game, the first half of which was strewn with errors from both teams.

Fairfax Media reported on Tuesday the AFL would consider fixturing well-performed or bigger clubs to play on Good Friday in future in an effort to increase the crowd, television ratings and spectacle.

North coach Brad Scott told reporters on Wednesday the Kangaroos would "relish" the chance to remain part of the Good Friday game and believed they could eventually make the occasion an integral part of the AFL calendar.

"We've worked for about 30 years on building the opportunity to play on Good Friday. The club has done a power of work, both in campaigning for the game and then in doing a lot of work to make sure that we build our partnership with the Royal Children's Hospital, to make it a big event," Scott said.

"We'd certainly relish the opportunity to continue to build on that tradition and it takes time to build up a big marquee game.

"I know the quality of the football in the first half wasn't what either team would have liked, but I was really happy with our players' response in the second half and I'm sure all North Melbourne fans were really pleased with the standard of footy they saw in the second half from us."

Asked whether the crowd for last Friday's game had been disappointing, Scott noted that when North hosted St Kilda at Etihad Stadium in round 13 last year the game drew just 26,107 fans.

The North coach also said the fact the Bulldogs entered last year's inaugural game as reigning premiers had been a factor in its far larger crowd.

However, Scott was confident that, with time, North could condition its fans to view Good Friday as a must-see game.

"I know a lot of my family and friends went away on holiday on (Easter) Thursday night. They're either down the beach or interstate; they're on holidays on Good Friday," he said.

"We need time to indoctrinate North Melbourne people into the fact that you stay in Melbourne on Good Friday, you come to the footy and then you go away Friday night and have Easter Monday away, (you) take your kids away on school holidays.

"That sort of thing takes a bit of time for people to get used to."

Scott did not feel North needed to play the same opponent each Good Friday to create a tradition.

"I'm not overly concerned as long as there's one core team involved," he said.

"Who we play is completely up to the AFL. I think the AFL do what they do best, which is they always analyse what's happened and they try and make the best decision going forward.

"We certainly support them in that. We'd just like a seat at the table to help build this game into a real tradition."

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

We have to stand up and stop this bullshit treatment of our club.

The Kangaroos played on Good Friday for the second time last week, beating St Kilda by 52 points before a crowd of 33,966.

That crowd was a significant drop from the 42,814 who watched North host the Western Bulldogs in the augural Good Friday game last season

So they took it away from us after one game in order to try and build up to the sort of crowd we already had last year? Does tgat sound bat shit *!*!*!*!ing crazy to anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like

Channel 7 are reporting the AFL are giving Good Friday football to Essendon starting next year.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships