Thanks Thanks:  188
Likes Likes:  119
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season Training 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I dropped in for a bit too. The other thing that stood out was even during the general play drills they'd move the ball down the ground cutting different angles with their kicks before eventually a player would receive the ball 50m or so out and run in to have a shot at goal, and that player routinely missed, yet no one seemed to even care.

It didn't look like anyone was tracking how many were being kicked and how many were missing. I saw 4 in a row miss from 20-30m out and no one said a word. It's as if the shot at goal was the meaningless formality and the end of the drill.

It defies belief that we just don't care about such a critical part of the game, a part that costs wins regularly, yet we obsess over making fractional gains in tiny 1% areas. It's beyond madness. You have to think the coaches are so absorbed in their bubble of sexy AFL trends that they can't see fundamentals are hopelessly lacking.
    I'm glad you are seeing what I have been as well. For a professional sport we are very accepting of poor training practices.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Both Buku, and Rhylee West have been training a bit with the main group. Both NGA players for us - so a really good initiative to have them spend time amongst the big boys.
    West is Father/Son not NGA
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs training camp crucial for team bonding says Lachie Hunter

THE Surf Coast turned Dog beach on Monday as the Western Bulldogs descended on Torquay.

The pre-Christmas training expedition started out in less gruelling fashion than in recent years, according to midfielder Lachie Hunter, with a morning session at Whitten Oval before hitting the dunes.

But he knows better than to speak too soon, all too aware that coach Luke Beveridge could have plenty more up his sleeve in coming days.
    “It is only day one. I’m sure there’s a fair bit more in store over the next couple of days which will make it as bad as they normally are,” Hunter said.

Mitch Wallis jumps over Luke Dahlhaus. Picture: Michael Klein
    Luke Dahlhaus jumps over Mitch Wallis. Picture: Michael Klein

“We pretty much just turn up and find out (what we’re going to be doing), I think that’s part of the mental side of it. They keep the boys guessing the whole time and put a bit of fear in to add to it all.

“The energy is always up at the start of a camp and the boys have attacked it really well.”
    The team engaged in boxing and running drills on the sand in the 33C heat, with Hunter backing the value of such trips.
    “The main thing you get out of it is the team-building side of things,” he said.

“Bevo has been massive on that. Aside from the physical stuff, which can be pretty gruelling.”
    Hunter, 23, said draftees Josh Schache, Jackson Trengove and Hayden Crozier have slotted in seamlessly.
    “All three have pretty much been in full training the whole time and have been looking good in our match play and game simulation,” he said.

“It’s exciting what they’ll bring this year.”

Lachie Hunter leads his group back up the beach. Picture: Michael Klein
    Western Bulldogs players hit the surf in Torquay. Picture: Michael Klein
    Western Bulldogs players in a boxing session in Torquay. Picture: Michael Klein
    Western Bulldogs players take part in a tug of war. Picture: Michael Klein
    Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge. Picture: Michael Klein
    Western Bulldogs players run down the beach in Torquay. Picture: Michael Klein
    Jason Johannisen lifts a medicine ball. Picture: Michael Klein

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I like seeing Easton Woods intestines.
    Good to see the boys not shirking the issue though.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

That would be the leanest Tom Boyd has ever been.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That would be the leanest Tom Boyd has ever been.
    The boys look in great shape.

Post Thanks / Like

The boys look... in great shape.

Phew! Time for a Bex and a lie down

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    West is Father/Son not NGA
    Yeah, but NGA and Father Son are 'managed' the same pre-getting drafted.

Post Thanks / Like

At least our players didn't call the AFLPA and have the camp cancelled!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    At least our players didn't call the AFLPA and have the camp cancelled!
    Did another club do this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Yep. Melbourne.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Danny Frawley says Melbourne is a laughing stock after cancelling its pre-season camp

FORMER Richmond coach Danny Frawley believes Melbourne Football Club is the laughing stock of the AFL after cancelling its commando-style pre-season camp.

The Demons made the decision to cancel the camp last week in light of player safety concerns.

Frawley said he believes up to 14 players from the club contacted the AFL Players’ Association in an effort to get the camp called off.

“If I am Simon Goodwin, I’m driving to work today and you know what, I’ve got a really shitty feeling in my gut,” he said on SEN radio.

“I just can’t work it out because we (coaches and the players) are in it together but there are 14 of my boys that have gone behind my back.”

The Demons held a similar camp last pre-season which put players through sleep deprivation, a gruelling 20km beach trek before a series of punishing physical and mental exercises.

During the training regime, Dom Tyson injured his knee while Christian Salem suffered a concussion after dropping a brick on his head.

Following the injuries, Melbourne had bolstered safety measures for this pre-season’s camp.

“I think Simon needs to get the playing group in and say, ‘Guys the communication lines are open. Have I not been honest with you guys? Have I not been upfront?’

“The Melbourne Football Club at the moment, it is a bit of a laughing stock,” Frawley said.

“What do we have a leadership group for? Let’s forget our leadership group now. You guys, if you’ve got an issue, ring the AFLPA and I’ll just coach.”

Melbourne is coming off a horror finish to the 2017 season, missing out on finals by .5 per cent after a shock Round 23 loss to Collingwood.

The club did appear to have some strong momentum heading into the New Year after securing gun defender Jake Lever in a trade with Adelaide.

However, Frawley believes there is now a disconnect between the players and coaches.

“I have spoken to a couple of people who are involved with players at the club,” he said.

“They have said, ‘God I hope my son wasn’t one of the ones (who contacted the AFLPA).’

“I’m very confident that there is a real flatness about the coaching staff towards the players at the moment heading into Christmas.

“Undermining is probably a harsh word but when you look at it, they (the players) actually have. They have gone to a different authority out the Melbourne Football Club. To me, Goody has been let down, he really has.”

Other sporting teams, including Melbourne Storm, have run the similar style training camps.