Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season Training 2018

Some ammunition for 2018 sledging when team are playing Melbourne
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Danny Frawley says Melbourne is a laughing stock after cancelling its pre-season camp

FORMER Richmond coach Danny Frawley believes Melbourne Football Club is the laughing stock of the AFL after cancelling its commando-style pre-season camp.

The Demons made the decision to cancel the camp last week in light of player safety concerns.

Frawley said he believes up to 14 players from the club contacted the AFL Players’ Association in an effort to get the camp called off.

“If I am Simon Goodwin, I’m driving to work today and you know what, I’ve got a really shitty feeling in my gut,” he said on SEN radio.

“I just can’t work it out because we (coaches and the players) are in it together but there are 14 of my boys that have gone behind my back.”

The Demons held a similar camp last pre-season which put players through sleep deprivation, a gruelling 20km beach trek before a series of punishing physical and mental exercises.

During the training regime, Dom Tyson injured his knee while Christian Salem suffered a concussion after dropping a brick on his head.

Following the injuries, Melbourne had bolstered safety measures for this pre-season’s camp.

“I think Simon needs to get the playing group in and say, ‘Guys the communication lines are open. Have I not been honest with you guys? Have I not been upfront?’

“The Melbourne Football Club at the moment, it is a bit of a laughing stock,” Frawley said.

“What do we have a leadership group for? Let’s forget our leadership group now. You guys, if you’ve got an issue, ring the AFLPA and I’ll just coach.”

Melbourne is coming off a horror finish to the 2017 season, missing out on finals by .5 per cent after a shock Round 23 loss to Collingwood.

The club did appear to have some strong momentum heading into the New Year after securing gun defender Jake Lever in a trade with Adelaide.

However, Frawley believes there is now a disconnect between the players and coaches.

“I have spoken to a couple of people who are involved with players at the club,” he said.

“They have said, ‘God I hope my son wasn’t one of the ones (who contacted the AFLPA).’

“I’m very confident that there is a real flatness about the coaching staff towards the players at the moment heading into Christmas.

“Undermining is probably a harsh word but when you look at it, they (the players) actually have. They have gone to a different authority out the Melbourne Football Club. To me, Goody has been let down, he really has.”

Other sporting teams, including Melbourne Storm, have run the similar style training camps.

Wow. Just wow. That almost makes Goodwin's position untenable surely? If players are going behind his back and questioning his planning?

I couldn't keep going in those circumstances. I'm thinking "at least 14 of these blokes don't take me seriously"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Look it'll probably blow over pretty quick but I'd be furious if Bulldogs players did this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Look it'll probably blow over pretty quick but I'd be furious if Bulldogs players did this.

I agree. As serious as this is they have to sort of forget it and move on with the season. They just haven't got the time to get distracted by it.

They are a seriously soft and indulged playing group though.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a great look but seems like a real balls up last year as well

Post Thanks / Like

Can imagine Crossy taking a dim view of this.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember in the early 90's, under Wheeler I think, the playing group had to parachute into Port Philip Bay. Some of the players didn't want to, but they did as a group, together. With and for each other.

Maybe Melbourne can do theirs now at Piss Weak World.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 19-12-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Typo
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I remember in the early 90's, under Wheeler I think, the playing group had to parachute into Port Philip Bay. Some of the players didn't want to, but they did as a group, together. With and for each other.

Maybe Melbourne can do there's now at Piss Weak World.

Doug Hawkins didn't want to do it. He didn't want to throw himself out of a moving plane. But he was the captain so even though it was the last thing he wanted to do he did it.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Doggies showing Melbourne how much of a Whimp they are.

Anyone want to take him on

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    For anyone wondering who the little bloke on the end is (like I was), it's professional cyclist Simon Clarke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I agree. As serious as this is they have to sort of forget it and move on with the season. They just haven't got the time to get distracted by it.

They are a seriously soft and indulged playing group though.
    It takes an amazing effort to truly instil a pea hearted culture into a club.

Well done, Dees.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

14. Likes hujsh, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Christian Salem suffered a concussion after dropping a brick on his head.
    That's ****ing hilarious.

What a competent group of players.

I loathe the Demons. I'm not sure why, but it might go back to that last game of 2005.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    That's ****ing hilarious.

What a competent group of players.

I loathe the Demons. I'm not sure why, but it might go back to that last game of 2005.
    If players genuinely feel unsafe they the should not suffer in silence and should seek out the leadership group to get some perspective however to go behind the coaches back without talking to him is a sign things aren't harmonious in with the playing group, the leadership group and coaching team.

They are as talented as any team in the competition but something isn't right.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was thinking about Melbourne reading Hunter's comments - pretty sure he gave them a whack.