Thanks Thanks:  188
Likes Likes:  119
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season Training 2018

The feedback on Boyd’s marking is a real concern. If he hasn’t learnt to consistently mark the pill by now, he never will.

Combining with one of English/Roughy to form a versatile ruck duo is the only way I can see him fitting in the team.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the knocks on English was that fact he had a poor leap and didn't quite use his hight advantage in the ruck. Loved that clip on the club website yesterday when he jumped over Rough and easily won the hit out, it should be deadly combo when adding the likes Libba Bont and Macrae at his feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I had a look this morning will post a rough report tomorrow. It was difficult to distinguish some players with no numbers on backs. JJ (as a forward), Macrae, English and Adams among the stand outs I thought.
    My take on the performance of some players yesterday and a few other things

Macrae- thought he was the best mid on the ground. Worked really hard and it was very noticeable that he spent more time forward. Bevo obviously looking to get some versatility into his game.

Naughton- Reads poor kicks quicker than most. Took several marks off these types of kicks yesterday. Been a bit said about his kicking but it didn't appear to be a massive issue on what I saw yesterday. The position he is playing he gets many of his touches intercepting as part of our press. Most of the time when he gets it he only has to kick side ways to change direction to an unmarked player behind the footy so his kicking isn't a massive issue in that situation. Played on key forwards and smalls at times.

English- I listed his as one of the better players which was probably pushing it a bit but I was very impressed. There was a period in the second qtr where it looked like we were making a conscious effort to use him in transition. He got maybe 5-6 touches in 10 minutes on the spread. He was just running to space and taking uncontested marks. This could potentially be a massive weapon for us in years to come. He didn't take many big marks but he was just about the only tall on the ground actually jumping at the ball in marking situations. Needs to work on his hands as he got both hands to 3-4 contested marks that he dropped. The rucks rotated very heavily so he actually didn't get a huge amount of ground time.

Adams- took lots of intercept marks and looked good. Over used the footy a few times but looks ready to go.

JJ- Played mainly as a forward with a few spurts on the wing and down back. I think we will move him around a lot to make it hard for sides to sit on him. Must have had 6-7 shots on goal but he was burnt by poor disposal at least 5 times. He was getting out the fat side and in behind the press in the clear constantly we just butchered the ball or didn't see him. He was very frustrated when we didn't get the ball to him and his body language was not great. Will be a big weapon when he is played forward. The problem we have is that we still need him down back. Really wish we had of picked up a Saad or someone like that to help out with some run from behind the footy.

Wood- One of the better players. Looked to be back to linking up through the middle a bit more.

Schache- Didn't set the world on fire but I wasn't expecting him to. Just needs to play a role when he gets a chance and slowly buil on it. Gets buffeted a bit in contested marking situations. Often looks like he is winding up to jump at the ball then the pack or an opponent will take his body and his attempt kind of loses momentum. He did look tired at times but I think everyone did. He looks quite sharp when he had the ball had a little passage of play where he baulked a player to give himself some time on the wing. Took a few hit up marks inside 50 just needs to find some different ways of finding the footy. Wasn't hopeless in the ruck and has a decent jump in the centre bounces.

Redpath- Looked the most dangerous tall forward on the ground.

Boyd- struggled as a forward but was much better in the ruck. Looks in good shape.

McLean- Lock for a near permanent midfield role. Was in everything.

Dale- Looked very classy at times. I wish he would stop trying to kick the air out of the ball every time he gets it but he did appear to have more time than most on the ground.

Dahl- Ran himself ragged. Nearly crawled to the bench every time he came off. Get the feeling he is a player that doesn't enjoy intra clubs too much. Few times I thought if it was a match against opposition he would have been going a bit harder.

Jong- Stood out at times because he is one of our few players with break away pace. Could be a major in for us this year with his marking ability and pace. Still added a few trademark errors after doing something great.

Richards- Just ok I thought but early days. Hard to judge his type at times as they will always accumulate touches. Nice to have a left footer out there.

Bont- Didn't spend much time forward which I found interesting. Clean footy around traffic noticeable as always.

Biggs- Looked good. Probably the most vocal organiser on the ground. With Morris down and Boyd/Murphy gone I was looking to see who was organising. A constantly underrated player in my view.

Hunter- One of the best players on the ground.

Dunkley- Wouldn't be surprised if he kicks 20-30 goals this year given a clear run. Much more clever a player than many realise probably because he looks ungainly. Uses his reach really well and a very sneaky player who always generates shots at goal. Kicked a really nice goal in the last quarter, tapped the ball clear using his height then gathered and snapped from about 40-45.

Williams- Solid without starring. Really need him to take a big step this year. Looks like an AFL player now with some added size.

Webb- Showed some very clean ball handling a few times and while it isn't his natural game you can tell he has worked hard on his inside game. One of thiose kicks that looks better than he actually is. Just let himself down with a few kicks but overall I thought he played well.

Suckling- Despite his weaknesses will continue getting games. In a team with very few real weapons anyone that can kick and carry the ball is going to be needed.

Other Stuff

Rucks- going to be very interesting to see what we do here. Boyd (a ruck IMO) is a lock to play round 1 I would think. We had all of Redpath, Schache, English and Roughy spending time in there during the game. We still have Trengrove and Campbell to add to the mix. I haven't budged on this from the start but I think we have way too many talls. Adelaide do it but their guys are in a different class to most of ours. I will be very interested to see how we line up with all of these guys. As a side note Roughy got hurt at one stage (possibly winded).

Mids- Potentially where we can make some ground this year given our relatively fit playing list. With Jong and Dunkley available, a fit Libba/Wallis and another year into Mclean we have massive depth through the midfield. It just gives us a bit more flexibility with some of our guys.

Our skills were shocking at times but with both teams pressing extremely high, blustery conditions and some lesser players in the mix it is probably to be expected.The nature of intra clubs means you will have players 30-50 (including vfl) on your list involved. You are going to have some variations in skills.

Our coach is incredibly relaxed. It does annoy me how little we get in terms on training and intra club access but when we do get let in he is incredible with the fans. Took time out at qtr time to get a photo with a kid and just generally looked very relaxed.

The game seemed to lack a vocal edge to it. Hoping this was just that I was keeping an eye on it but must call it as I see it. Just seemed a bit of a hole there in leadership and organisation at times. It is something to watch with no Morris and Boyd. I may be reading too much into it and I am an unashamed fan of professional war horses but there just didn't seem to be that fanatical, instructive yelling edge to the game.

Clay Smith looks leaner than he has been for a long time.

Didn't think our hands were as clean as they have been. Thought early on we were using lots and lots of short kicks but it faded a bit as the game went on.

We looked a bit scrappy going inside 50 when the opposition had time to get numbers back or when we had locked it in. We scored quite easily out the back when we got through the press but in situations where all the numbers were in the front half it was hard work. We need Dickson up and firing badly. We seemed to kick long and deep quite a bit which as much as anything I think is designed to allow us repeat entries. Anyone thinking we will play a wildly different brand is dreaming IMO. We pressed high and looked to win the territory battle. Any changes will be in execution not in method from what I have seen.

If anything else comes to mind I will post later on.

Post Thanks / Like

Some great reports with thorough detail. Much appreciated.

Pleasing to hear we look fit and strong - particularly the likes of Bont, Boyd, Libba, Clay, Wallis, Dale, McLean, Jong, Adams etc. who for varying reasons were injured or under developed last year.

We'll never be the most skilled team but I felt like our effort never reached 2016 heights last year. Quietly confident we will be primed to go again in 2018.

I think our back half and our mids will be OK. We have plenty of depth in both areas and some weapons in each. The concern is the forward half - which explains why we are playing JJ there. I agree with the move, but it also makes me wonder why we didn't target Saad to play half back - was very disappointed we didn't enquire.

Dickson is a real key and given his age and injury history that's a worry. Schache isn't ready yet and Boyd (sadly) looks like a ruckman who can rest forward, not the other way around. I think Dunkley could be a goal scorer given his ability to generate 2-3 shots per game but he isn't a great finisher.

Will be interesting to see what we do with our forward structures and personnel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    . The concern is the forward half - which explains why we are playing JJ there. I agree with the move, but it also makes me wonder why we didn't target Saad to play half back - was very disappointed we didn't enquire.
    What I have seen - the issue with Saad is he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What I have seen - the issue with Saad is he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.

I can point to the tibia and fibia but nobody ever told me where the defensive bone is.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think Trengove missed yesterday due to some parental duties (that's what I was told but I'm not sure) Dickson was a runner. Collins and Clay Smith also missed, Campbell has a knee injury and Wallis was 'managed'
    Trengoves partner had the twins today.

Congrats to Jackson
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Thanks chef, Twodogs, Eastdog, bornadog, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Trengoves partner had the twins today.

Congrats to Jackson
    That's great. No sleep for Jackson for the next 18 months then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The feedback on Boyd’s marking is a real concern. If he hasn’t learnt to consistently mark the pill by now, he never will.

Combining with one of English/Roughy to form a versatile ruck duo is the only way I can see him fitting in the team.
    Not sure intraclub one, in swirly conditions (of which the mention of was as prevalent as his marking issues) is enough to warrant concern of any significance.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Not sure intraclub one, in swirly conditions (of which the mention of was as prevalent as his marking issues) is enough to warrant concern of any significance.
    He has had marking technique issues since he entered the league.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He has had marking technique issues since he entered the league.
    Honestly I think he is one of the worst marks I've ever seen. Luckily he is huge and is competent in other areas, but pound for pound it's hard to think of a worse mark in our side (and possibly list) technique wise. It's as if he's trying to catch a bar of soap with just his fingertips.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I can point to the tibia and fibia but nobody ever told me where the defensive bone is.
    And where exactly is this bone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Honestly I think he is one of the worst marks I've ever seen. Luckily he is huge and is competent in other areas, but pound for pound it's hard to think of a worse mark in our side (and possibly list) technique wise. It's as if he's trying to catch a bar of soap with just his fingertips.
    Lucky he managed to get it together in the one game that really mattered but in general I agree with you.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

16. Likes Go_Dogs, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    And where exactly is this bone?

No idea but you can back it in that Tom Williams has fractured it at some stage. I'm sure he's broken bones that have yet to be discovered.

18. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A question for the TAC Cup watchers. What were Boyd's hands like at that level. Surely he couldn't have been identified as the undisputed number 1 draft pick if he couldn't hold his marks. Is it all between the ears?
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!