Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New record by the Blues? How did they stuff up so badly?

The Blues delisted or traded out 42 players in 3 seasons.

See http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-0...e-are-they-now

Is that a record?

If you read about each player, how did they get so many wrong?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New record by the Blues? How did they stuff up so badly?

That's a lot of players. It would have to be close to a modern day record churning through a third of your list each year.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that Gowers was on their list , is this the same Gowers player for footscray ?

Huge number from WA listed.

A few potential eker nominations on that list.

They let a few good payers go as well : gartlett , Waite, Betts being the amazing loss. HAmpson was an ok defender not sure why he became a ruck at richmond .

We could have pinched Kruezer if only he passed a medical

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Interesting that Gowers was on their list , is this the same Gowers player for footscray ?

They let a few good payers go as well : gartlett , Waite, Betts being the amazing loss. HAmpson was an ok defender not sure why he became a ruck at richmond .

Yep same Billy Gowers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

Josh Kennedy wins Coleman medals for fun at West Coast. Technically he's probably out of the time period for this but it doesn't change the fact he wore Navy Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Kernahan still cries over the loss of Kennedy, but it was a sacrifice they had to make .
    Betts at the time looked like an overpriced Adelaide recruit, but he’s been better than even they’d imagined.
    Hampson is hopeless, but the Grigg trade was a shocker . There was a story that SOS had just shook his head at the draft at some of their selections .The whole raid GWS theory has been hit or miss ( mainly miss) although fire a thousand bullets , you’re bound to hit something . Malthouse took them backwards at a million miles an hour with his almost vengeful coaching and recruiting .

Post Thanks / Like

It was Malthouse using Carlton to take his frustration out on Collingwood that was really weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Big list of names made more interesting when you look at the likes of Liam Jones who isn't on it.

While it's a significant turnover, a new list manager and coach coming into a perennial wooden spooner were always bound to shake things up and leave their imprint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Big list of names made more interesting when you look at the likes of Liam Jones who isn't on it.

While it's a significant turnover, a new list manager and coach coming into a perennial wooden spooner were always bound to shake things up and leave their imprint.
    Bloody good point. I wonder if Carlton could have that moment they signed him for another 3 years (or was it 2? It was a miracle whatever it was) back again if they would take it?

I don't know why but I have a certain amount of goodwill towards Liam Jones. Normally I couldn't give a rats arse when a player leaves the colours but Liam's career has a car accident aspect to it in that occasionally slows down and comes into sharp relief.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Kernahan still cries over the loss of Kennedy, but it was a sacrifice they had to make .
    Betts at the time looked like an overpriced Adelaide recruit, but he’s been better than even they’d imagined.
    Hampson is hopeless, but the Grigg trade was a shocker . There was a story that SOS had just shook his head at the draft at some of their selections .The whole raid GWS theory has been hit or miss ( mainly miss) although fire a thousand bullets , you’re bound to hit something . Malthouse took them backwards at a million miles an hour with his almost vengeful coaching and recruiting .
    Thats now Grigg, premiership player they let go, cause he could not break into their midfield, beggers belief ???

Along similar theme of plays walking out. Houli , could have been BOG according to some, walked out on the drug cheats

Malthouse boom recruit in Daisy did not quite worked out either. Thomas is fortunate that the blues are in a rebuilding stage, as they need mature bodies for another year or 2 as the young midfield grows experience

Post Thanks / Like

As a result of the pick trade last year, the Blues currently trading pick 2, for pick 13. Could be pick 1 if they get well beaten next week.

Surely they sack SOS if this gap continues this year.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 05-05-2019 at 07:59 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    As a result of the pick trade last year, the Blues currently trading pick 2, for pick 13. Could be pick 1 if they get well beaten next week.

Surely they sack SOS if this gap continues this year.
    Looking likely to be a horror deal!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Looking likely to be a horror deal!
    It’s looking like that margin will hold having a look at things. Liam Stocker (the player the trade was for) is going to need to be a dead set gun long term to remotely even it out. Adelaide will be ecstatic having pick 1 or 2 this year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It’s looking like that margin will hold having a look at things. Liam Stocker (the player the trade was for) is going to need to be a dead set gun long term to remotely even it out. Adelaide will be ecstatic having pick 1 or 2 this year.
    He's an inside mid so they debut him on the HBF and he has a shocker.

At one point a year or so ago they played the same number of first round draft picks in their side as GWS.
    They are horrible at player development.
    e.g. O'Brien was a lineball selection just ahead of Ed Richards for them. Compare the pair? There is no comparison.

I'll stick my neck out now - within 3 years Bailey Smith will be a better player than Sam Walsh. Anyone is free to bump this.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

If they considered last year's draft's top end to be as strong as most people did and if it's true that they rated Stocker at #6 overall in that draft, then even if it ends up costing them pick 1 or 2 this year for a mid/late first round pick, I still think they did the right thing overall.