Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

New record by the Blues? How did they stuff up so badly?

The Blues delisted or traded out 42 players in 3 seasons.

See http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-0...e-are-they-now

Is that a record?

If you read about each player, how did they get so many wrong?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New record by the Blues? How did they stuff up so badly?

That's a lot of players. It would have to be close to a modern day record churning through a third of your list each year.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that Gowers was on their list , is this the same Gowers player for footscray ?

Huge number from WA listed.

A few potential eker nominations on that list.

They let a few good payers go as well : gartlett , Waite, Betts being the amazing loss. HAmpson was an ok defender not sure why he became a ruck at richmond .

We could have pinched Kruezer if only he passed a medical

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Interesting that Gowers was on their list , is this the same Gowers player for footscray ?

They let a few good payers go as well : gartlett , Waite, Betts being the amazing loss. HAmpson was an ok defender not sure why he became a ruck at richmond .

Yep same Billy Gowers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

Josh Kennedy wins Coleman medals for fun at West Coast. Technically he's probably out of the time period for this but it doesn't change the fact he wore Navy Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Kernahan still cries over the loss of Kennedy, but it was a sacrifice they had to make .
    Betts at the time looked like an overpriced Adelaide recruit, but he’s been better than even they’d imagined.
    Hampson is hopeless, but the Grigg trade was a shocker . There was a story that SOS had just shook his head at the draft at some of their selections .The whole raid GWS theory has been hit or miss ( mainly miss) although fire a thousand bullets , you’re bound to hit something . Malthouse took them backwards at a million miles an hour with his almost vengeful coaching and recruiting .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Kernahan still cries over the loss of Kennedy, but it was a sacrifice they had to make .
    Betts at the time looked like an overpriced Adelaide recruit, but he’s been better than even they’d imagined.
    Hampson is hopeless, but the Grigg trade was a shocker . There was a story that SOS had just shook his head at the draft at some of their selections .The whole raid GWS theory has been hit or miss ( mainly miss) although fire a thousand bullets , you’re bound to hit something . Malthouse took them backwards at a million miles an hour with his almost vengeful coaching and recruiting .
    Thats now Grigg, premiership player they let go, cause he could not break into their midfield, beggers belief ???

Along similar theme of plays walking out. Houli , could have been BOG according to some, walked out on the drug cheats

Malthouse boom recruit in Daisy did not quite worked out either. Thomas is fortunate that the blues are in a rebuilding stage, as they need mature bodies for another year or 2 as the young midfield grows experience

Post Thanks / Like

It was Malthouse using Carlton to take his frustration out on Collingwood that was really weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It was Malthouse using Carlton to take his frustration out on Collingwood that was really weird.
    Yeah I used to work with a lot of die-hard Carlton fans. It was a miserable time for them and they use to joke " We know he still wears Collingwood underwear". Carlton fans are just the most miserable of them all. Worse than Melbourne, because Dees fans are still a bit self-depreciating and can poke fun at themselves. Blues fans still think they deserve to be a big club.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Yeah I used to work with a lot of die-hard Carlton fans. It was a miserable time for them and they use to joke " We know he still wears Collingwood underwear". Carlton fans are just the most miserable of them all. Worse than Melbourne, because Dees fans are still a bit self-depreciating and can poke fun at themselves. Blues fans still think they deserve to be a big club.
    Pagan and Malthouse wasn’t the problem at Carlton but more to do with the toxic culture they inherited from the Elliott/ Collins culture days reducing Carlton from once a powerhouse in the AFL to an also ran. Whether the current Board is capable of turning its fortunes around is still Questionable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Pagan and Malthouse wasn’t the problem at Carlton but more to do with the toxic culture they inherited from the Elliott/ Collins culture days reducing Carlton from once a powerhouse in the AFL to an also ran. Whether the current Board is capable of turning its fortunes around is still Questionable.
    Yep agreed. I read a lot of salty Carlton supporters saying that the punishment they copped for salary cap cheating in 1999 were too much and set the club back too far. Well, yeah, that was part of the idea. They benefited from cheating and playing cute with the rules and spirit of the competition so they get no sympathy from me.

13. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep agreed. I read a lot of salty Carlton supporters saying that the punishment they copped for salary cap cheating in 1999 were too much and set the club back too far. Well, yeah, that was part of the idea. They benefited from cheating and playing cute with the rules and spirit of the competition so they get no sympathy from me.
    Well how long can they use that excuse it’s 20years ago.
    Bring back the biff

15. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's only 1 team to win a flag in the same year they cheated the salary cap and they did it twice - Essendon in 1993 and 2000 (both flags should be stripped forever from the record books just as the storm's flags were). Then of course they disgraced the competition with their systematic PED regime straight out of East Germany, and were able to actually benefit through first access to supplementary list players and being able to trade into the first 2 rounds of the draft.

Carlton are dirty skunks who cheated the cap but they were punished far more than those red and black scumbags.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

17. Likes Dancin' Douggy, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Big list of names made more interesting when you look at the likes of Liam Jones who isn't on it.

While it's a significant turnover, a new list manager and coach coming into a perennial wooden spooner were always bound to shake things up and leave their imprint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Big list of names made more interesting when you look at the likes of Liam Jones who isn't on it.

While it's a significant turnover, a new list manager and coach coming into a perennial wooden spooner were always bound to shake things up and leave their imprint.
    Bloody good point. I wonder if Carlton could have that moment they signed him for another 3 years (or was it 2? It was a miracle whatever it was) back again if they would take it?

I don't know why but I have a certain amount of goodwill towards Liam Jones. Normally I couldn't give a rats arse when a player leaves the colours but Liam's career has a car accident aspect to it in that occasionally slows down and comes into sharp relief.