Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New record by the Blues? How did they stuff up so badly?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He's an inside mid so they debut him on the HBF and he has a shocker.

At one point a year or so ago they played the same number of first round draft picks in their side as GWS.
    They are horrible at player development.
    e.g. O'Brien was a lineball selection just ahead of Ed Richards for them. Compare the pair? There is no comparison.

I'll stick my neck out now - within 3 years Bailey Smith will be a better player than Sam Walsh. Anyone is free to bump this.
    O'Brien and Dow are already looking like lost causes, which is quite frankly an amazing turnaround on some elite draft capital. At least they're punctual I guess.

On the other hand, Walsh is already a superstar and I don't know if I'd feel confident saying anyone will be better than him in three years.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    O'Brien and Dow are already looking like lost causes, which is quite frankly an amazing turnaround on some elite draft capital. At least they're punctual I guess.

On the other hand, Walsh is already a superstar and I don't know if I'd feel confident saying anyone will be better than him in three years.
    I've seen Walsh do some standard things pretty well but I haven't seen him shimmy through a pack, take the ball with clean hands then accelerate away and deliver it as smoothly as I saw Smith did on Saturday night. I'm with Mofra. Smith is a gun.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I've seen Walsh do some standard things pretty well but I haven't seen him shimmy through a pack, take the ball with clean hands then accelerate away and deliver it as smoothly as I saw Smith did on Saturday night. I'm with Mofra. Smith is a gun.
    Please tell me I’m not crazy when I say that Smith plays just like Brad Johnson at the same age. Same acceleration, same slight hunch.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It was Malthouse using Carlton to take his frustration out on Collingwood that was really weird.
    Yeah I used to work with a lot of die-hard Carlton fans. It was a miserable time for them and they use to joke " We know he still wears Collingwood underwear". Carlton fans are just the most miserable of them all. Worse than Melbourne, because Dees fans are still a bit self-depreciating and can poke fun at themselves. Blues fans still think they deserve to be a big club.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

5. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The most relevant club according to John Elliott are currently trading pick 1 for pick 16. I understand they rated Liam Stocker, but no one would trade pick 19 in one year for giving up pick 1 and a 15 pick downgrade.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The most relevant club according to John Elliott are currently trading pick 1 for pick 16. I understand they rated Liam Stocker, but no one would trade pick 19 in one year for giving up pick 1 and a 15 pick downgrade.
    But imagine if they had ANOTHER pick 1 and continued to get pumped every week in 2020? That would've been even worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    But imagine if they had ANOTHER pick 1 and continued to get pumped every week in 2020? That would've been even worse.
    For who? If they're getting pumped each week, and maybe even lose to us, I don't mind what pick they have. Carlton losing is like 'The White Album'. It just never gets old.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Incredibly stupid decision
    Silvagni gets kudos for being a great list manager !
    Great player , but not a great list manager .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Incredibly stupid decision
    Silvagni gets kudos for being a great list manager !
    Great player , but not a great list manager .
    Like Dodoro at Essendon, no finals win since 2000 and the media write how they win the draft every year.
    All Silvagni has done is pick up players that he recruited at GWS or anyone named Silvagni.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Please tell me I’m not crazy when I say that Smith plays just like Brad Johnson at the same age. Same acceleration, same slight hunch.
    I must be crazy too/two!! My nickname for him is BBJ - blond brad Johnson. He even has similar big grin. Let’s hope his career is as stellar as brad’s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    They look similar, it would be interesting to see compare their km's covered in a game because Johnno was a champion junior middle distance runner and Smith had an interrupted pre-season.

I think Smith will be more "explosive" but Johnno was superior overhead, an underrated mark on the lead.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Public Service Announcement: If in the presence of Carlton people, be kind and remind them they’re currently trading pick 1 for pick 15.

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If they beat us, this thread might not seem so funny....
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Yeah I used to work with a lot of die-hard Carlton fans. It was a miserable time for them and they use to joke " We know he still wears Collingwood underwear". Carlton fans are just the most miserable of them all. Worse than Melbourne, because Dees fans are still a bit self-depreciating and can poke fun at themselves. Blues fans still think they deserve to be a big club.
    Pagan and Malthouse wasn’t the problem at Carlton but more to do with the toxic culture they inherited from the Elliott/ Collins culture days reducing Carlton from once a powerhouse in the AFL to an also ran. Whether the current Board is capable of turning its fortunes around is still Questionable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Pagan and Malthouse wasn’t the problem at Carlton but more to do with the toxic culture they inherited from the Elliott/ Collins culture days reducing Carlton from once a powerhouse in the AFL to an also ran. Whether the current Board is capable of turning its fortunes around is still Questionable.
    Yep agreed. I read a lot of salty Carlton supporters saying that the punishment they copped for salary cap cheating in 1999 were too much and set the club back too far. Well, yeah, that was part of the idea. They benefited from cheating and playing cute with the rules and spirit of the competition so they get no sympathy from me.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

20. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post