Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The 1970's Bulldogs - what should have been

Everyone here who followed the dogs in the '70's is no doubt aware of just how many players, and quality players in most cases, left the club. To illustrate the point, here's a team of players who for whatever reason, left the club over a 7 year period 1973-80:

Backs: Murrie Sandilands Baker

Half backs: Low Bruce Reid McGhie

Centres: Stoneham Thorpe Collins

Half forwards: Morrison Quinlan Wilson

Forwards: Round Templeton Huppatz

Rucks: Dempsey Dunstan Bisset

I'change: Foreman

What i've always wondered is what were the various players reasons for leaving eg administration, money, coach etc.
    There was the situation when the Social club locked out the football club which seemed ridiculous.

Even if we had managed to hold on to half of the players above, together with the players who remained, would have seen us be perennial finals contenders during the period.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The 1970's Bulldogs - what should have been

Featherby

depressing isn't it!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

4. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Everyone here who followed the dogs in the '70's is no doubt aware of just how many players, and quality players in most cases, left the club. To illustrate the point, here's a team of players who for whatever reason, left the club over a 7 year period 1973-80:

Backs: Murrie Sandilands Baker

Half backs: Low Bruce Reid McGhie

Centres: Stoneham Thorpe Collins

Half forwards: Morrison Quinlan Wilson

Forwards: Round Templeton Huppatz

Rucks: Dempsey Dunstan Bisset

I'change: Foreman

What i've always wondered is what were the various players reasons for leaving eg administration, money, coach etc.
    There was the situation when the Social club locked out the football club which seemed ridiculous.

Even if we had managed to hold on to half of the players above, together with the players who remained, would have seen us be perennial finals contenders during the period.

That particular incident was too stupid for words. Google the name Dick Collinson. What a *!*!*!*!ing idiot he was.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we only made the finals once in the 70s in 1974. I've heard that the late 70s early 80s were tough times for our club.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I think we only made the finals once in the 70s in 1974. I've heard that the late 70s early 80s were tough times for our club.
    '76 as well Easty but we need not have bothered because we went out in the Elimination Final.

Post Thanks / Like

Add Ken Newland to that list. He saw the football club- social club thing go down in '76 and he, along with Billy Goggin said "stuff this, this place is a joke!" And went back to Geelong.... which was, itself, no beacon of success and stability in the 1970's!

Shows how bad we'd gotten! I'd love to know more about Dick Collinson and the shenanigans surrounding that particular guy!

9. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

*We lost alot of players because the club was in a mess and in particular finances. Those days transfers to other clubs were allowed as long as a fee was paid. We therefore sold off many players to help finance the club. Templeton's knee was shot and we had an opportunity to cash in by sending him to Melbourne for a large fee.

*In the case of Bruce Reid he wanted to stay but the coach told him he should seek other opportunities. Goodbye father/son

*Wilson came back over the summer to preseason training with extra kilos and was basically sacked by Royce Hart (that was the 80s, are we talking the same Wilson?). Went on to win two brownlow medals.

* Barry Round was looking for more opportunities as number one ruck, with Dempsey there he thought he wouldn't get a chance, so he left for South Melbourne. Little did he know Dempsey was also leaving a few years later.

* Quinlan - transfer fee to help finances

Can't remember much more. I do remember my father getting very upset with Collinson and the way he was running the club
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce Reid was traded to Carlton by O'Sullivan (ex Carlton) in return for Jim Sewell's form 4 from WA. Carlton had held it. I think that was just prior to Malthouse joining and Hampshire was already on the way out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    *We lost alot of players because the club was in a mess and in particular finances. Those days transfers to other clubs were allowed as long as a fee was paid. We therefore sold off many players to help finance the club. Templeton's knee was shot and we had an opportunity to cash in by sending him to Melbourne for a large fee.

*In the case of Bruce Reid he wanted to stay but the coach told him he should seek other opportunities. Goodbye father/son

*Wilson came back over the summer to preseason training with extra kilos and was basically sacked by Royce Hart (that was the 80s, are we talking the same Wilson?). Went on to win two brownlow medals.

* Barry Round was looking for more opportunities as number one ruck, with Dempsey there he thought he wouldn't get a chance, so he left for South Melbourne. Little did he know Dempsey was also leaving a few years later.

* Quinlan - transfer fee to help finances

Can't remember much more. I do remember my father getting very upset with Collinson and the way he was running the club

It's the same Brian Wilson. To be fair he only won Brownlow though. It was a very disappointing time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Bruce Reid was traded to Carlton by O'Sullivan (ex Carlton) in return for Jim Sewell's form 4 from WA. Carlton had held it. I think that was just prior to Malthouse joining and Hampshire was already on the way out.
    Bluey had '83 with the new glam recruits and I think we had our 11/11 season for 7 years. But Malthouse was appointed over his head just before the '84 season.

Post Thanks / Like

Did Robert McGhie sit Dick Collinson on his arse? I remember that '76 loss to Geelong. We were a couple of goals up in time on ffs!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Did Robert McGhie sit Dick Collinson on his arse? I remember that '76 loss to Geelong. We were a couple of goals up in time on ffs!
    I haven't heard that but it wouldn't surprise me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Bluey had '83 with the new glam recruits and I think we had our 11/11 season for 7 years. But Malthouse was appointed over his head just before the '84 season.
    Yeah I recall in round 2, 1983 that when we played and beat the reigning premier, Carlton, at WO, that our crown booed poor old Bruce Reid every time he got the footy!

Never really worked out why Bluey was sacked. Have a funny feeling he might've asked for more money after our decent 1983 season and Malthouse was simply cheaper..!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Yeah I recall in round 2, 1983 that when we played and beat the reigning premier, Carlton, at WO, that our crown booed poor old Bruce Reid every time he got the footy!

Never really worked out why Bluey was sacked. Have a funny feeling he might've asked for more money after our decent 1983 season and Malthouse was simply cheaper..!
    You want to know the reason Bluey was sacked? The club found out that he was doing some ruck coaching at Geelong while he was our senior coach. We asked him to stop but Bluey being a good bloke couldn't see what the fuss was about. And Malthouse was available and we had very nearly appointed him the year before But the supporters demanded that Hampshire be appointed.

1983 was the season that the modern Footscray that eventually became the Western Bulldogs was kick started. If we'd had another couple of awful seasons in '83 and '84 like we had although the late '70s and early '80s that would have been a fatal blow to the club. It wouldn't have been fatal there and then but we wouldn't have withstood '89 the way we did.

There's one that scruffy Barrat can use in his Sliding Doirs thing.

19. Thanks Webby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that Ian Morrison or Peter Morrison in your team, Hose B? We lost both, to Essendon and South respectively. Although we got far more value out of Ian.

Also, we could have had Port legend Fred Cook in our forward line. He played briefly for the Dogs in the late 60s. Not sure why he didn't make it.
    Crumbs!