Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The 1970's Bulldogs - what should have been

Quote Originally Posted by W W Biscuit View Post
    Is that Ian Morrison or Peter Morrison in your team, Hose B? We lost both, to Essendon and South respectively. Although we got far more value out of Ian.

Also, we could have had Port legend Fred Cook in our forward line. He played briefly for the Dogs in the late 60s. Not sure why he didn't make it.

I thouroughly reccomend Fearless Fred, the third best football book I have read and the best biography. Fred's story is unique.

He went to Port from Footscray via Yarraville where he won a Liston trophy as the best player in the competion.

Fred left Footscray because he'd been dropped to the reserves and he thought that Jack Collins (hon secretary at the time) didn't like him and got him dropped for reasons other than football (knowing Fred that would have been correct) and Yarraville just happened to offer to buy him a house at the same time. So Fred did the sensible thing and accepted Yarravilles offer. Probably the only sensible thing he ever did in his life.

There is a quote from Doug Hawkins (a man with plenty of demons of his own) in Fearless Fred that hits it straight on the head. "When I was a kid I used to carry Fred's boots into the ground so I could get in for free. Unfortunately 20 years later Fred wasn't fit to carry my boots into the ground."
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Thanks bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Ian Morrison biscuit. Don't know if Fred wouldv'e had the dedication to make it at the top level Loved watching Fred kick a bag for Port on Sunday afternoons on the black and white tv.

Post Thanks / Like

I also recommend that biography of Fred Cook. Very sad ending for him. Drugs really played havoc with his life. He was a very talented footballer and we should never have let him go.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I thouroughly reccomend Fearless Fred, the third best football book I have read and the best biography. Fred's story is unique.

He went to Port from Footscray via Yarraville where he won a Liston trophy as the best player in the competion.

Fred left Footscray because he'd been dropped to the reserves and he thought that Jack Collins (hon secretary at the time) didn't like him and got him dropped for reasons other than football (knowing Fred that would have been correct) and Yarraville just happened to offer to buy him a house at the same time. So Fred did the sensible thing and accepted Yarravilles offer. Probably the only sensible thing he ever did in his life.

There is a quote from Doug Hawkins (a man with plenty of demons of his own) in Fearless Fred that hits it straight on the head. "When I was a kid I used to carry Fred's boots into the ground so I could get in for free. Unfortunately 20 years later Fred wasn't fit to carry my boots into the ground."
    Is that book Fabulous Fred: The strife and times of Fred Cook?

Post Thanks / Like

It is definitely worth a read I bought my copy from his car boot at the 2014 VFL prelim at Port

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Is that book Fabulous Fred: The strife and times of Fred Cook?

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.