Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

Dry Rot's 2018 Premature Prediction Thread

Yeah, I know we have not yet had the draft but very few of those young lads will make a real difference to a team in 2018.

So right now we know most of the delistings and all of the trades, so we have a fair idea of sides for season 2018.

So what's your prediction per side?

I suggest this standard format:

Club:

Changes and outlook for 2018:

Why they might do better than I think:

Why they might do worse than I think:

Prediction for 2018:

Here's my first one, because its easy

Club:

West Coast Eagles

Changes and outlook for 2018:

Big changes for the Eagles.

First and foremost, they are crippled by the loss of the great Josh Hill, along with retirements of many greats like Petrie. Players like Priddis and Mitchell will be a real loss. Looks like they are doing a real clean out.

They get Nic Nat back (big plus) and they are going for many replacements in a weak draft. Ordinarily, these draftees wouldn't help, but they may be going for older ready to go draftees like Kelly.

They lost their great home advantage NB early in the season when they will have played at their new ground about as much as any other team.

Why they might do better than I think:

They still have a very good spine with Barass, McGoven, Nic Nat, "I shit myself in big games" Darling and Kennedy. Have some other good seasoned players like Hourn and Yeo.

Why they might do worse than I think:

It's difficult to assess the impact of the new ground and how suited they are to it. Injuries to any of their excellent players above will hurt more than most, with thin depth. And with their recent sides, they were shithouse away from home.

Prediction for 2018:

14 - 16th
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dry Rot's 2018 Premature Prediction Thread

Club: Essendon

Changes and outlook for 2018: Had 3 quality players in Stringer, Adam Saad & Devon Smith nominate the Bombers as their preferred club and managed to land them all, despite burning through their draft picks and their 2nd rounder next year in the process. All 3 could help them straight away, similar to Geelong's bonanza with Dangerfield, Henderson and Scott Selwood. Didn't quite get what they needed though with inside mids

Why they might do better than I think: Stringer could explode with a fresh start and a quality tall in Daniher beside him. If they break even often enough in the midfield, they are very quick in transition and have a quality forward line to score heavily

Why they might do worse than I think: Could definitely have games where they struggle to get their hands on the ball ala Hawthorn the last few years, which eventually caught up with them

Prediction: 3rd to 6th
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Club: Western Bulldogs

Changes and outlook for 2018: Lost Stringer, but he hasn't delivered in the last 2 years as he should have and may have been a bad influence on the group. Cloke & Crameri are also gone from an already struggling forward line, though neither did much in the preceding 2 years either. Schache, Crozier & Trengove have joined and are ready to contribute

Why they might do better than I think: There were a laundry list of players who underperformed in 2017 compared to the levels they reached in 2016, they only need to deliver as they already have in the past for the Bulldogs to shoot back up the ladder

Why they might do worse than I think: A very new forward setup may struggle to kick winning scores

Last edited by boydogs; 11-11-2017 at 11:37 PM.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

6. Thanks GVGjr, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Time for a bump.

The 2018 season isn't far away - what are your predictions?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Libba to win the Brownlow.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Club: Essendon

Changes and outlook for 2018: Had 3 quality players in Stringer, Adam Saad & Devon Smith nominate the Bombers as their preferred club and managed to land them all, despite burning through their draft picks and their 2nd rounder next year in the process. All 3 could help them straight away, similar to Geelong's bonanza with Dangerfield, Henderson and Scott Selwood. Didn't quite get what they needed though with inside mids

Why they might do better than I think: Stringer could explode with a fresh start and a quality tall in Daniher beside him. If they break even often enough in the midfield, they are very quick in transition and have a quality forward line to score heavily

Why they might do worse than I think: Could definitely have games where they struggle to get their hands on the ball ala Hawthorn the last few years, which eventually caught up with them

Prediction: won't make finals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Changes and outlook for 2018: Lost Stringer, but he hasn't delivered in the last 2 years as he should have and may have been a bad influence on the group. Cloke & Crameri are also gone from an already struggling forward line, though neither did much in the preceding 2 years either. Schache, Crozier & Trengove have joined and are ready to contribute

Why they might do better than I think: There were a laundry list of players who underperformed in 2017 compared to the levels they reached in 2016, they only need to deliver as they already have in the past for the Bulldogs to shoot back up the ladder

Why they might do worse than I think: A very new forward setup may struggle to kick winning scores

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Prediction: won't make finals.
    That would be so damn satisfying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    That would be so damn satisfying.
    It would be more satisfying beating them in a final.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It would be more satisfying beating them in a final.
    That would be good. Still, I like the idea of them missing out on finals completely and I feel like that really kicks their "failure" scale up a few notches.

The ultimate scenario would be to beat them in round 22 and knock them out of the eight, but alas we play them early in the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    That would be good. Still, I like the idea of them missing out on finals completely and I feel like that really kicks their "failure" scale up a few notches.

The ultimate scenario would be to beat them in round 22 and knock them out of the eight, but alas we play them early in the year.
    We could pray for our round to be relocated to the bye round before the finals. Or we could tie with games won and points for and against after the home and away season. The opportunities are limitless.

Actually it's really only those two.

Post Thanks / Like

For all Essendons pumped up stuff about this year they have been terrible in Both AFLX and JLT so far, they went into those games giving hope and producing nothing, I think they will drop away , last year was riding the we are back released from all the drug stuff.
    That honeymoon has finished and now it's pressure to perform better again and to be Honest I just don't think they are good enough.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    For all Essendons pumped up stuff about this year they have been terrible in Both AFLX and JLT so far, they went into those games giving hope and producing nothing, I think they will drop away , last year was riding the we are back released from all the drug stuff.
    That honeymoon has finished and now it's pressure to perform better again and to be Honest I just don't think they are good enough.
    I hope they win the wooden spoon
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

In Therage write up it had something like "Jake looked lively when he had a sniff at goal, but seems to run in sand when it's going the other way". Oh really? Sounds a bit unlike Jake....

The age hacks have us pretty underrated. I think we will go all the way again this year. Very confident. If JJ is Half forward going to expect dividends at goal.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 12-03-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus