Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Clayton

Post Thanks / Like

Scott Clayton

There is a fair bit of speculation that Scott Clayton is on his way out as List Manager of the Suns replaced by Craig Cameron. Clayton has apparently been linked to the Saints.

He has a reputation of being very good with managing player contracts and I think there is enough evidence to suggest he's struggled attracting the right players to clubs in the recruiting component of his job.

I think his biggest weakness with us was his inability to project the playing list requirements when we were leading into a couple of years of father son selections and compromised drafts with the new teams coming on board.

This is a problem that followed him at the Suns where he was given a plethora of early picks over the years and once again he struggled to bring the right players into the fledgling club.

I wonder if he is seen as a direct replacement for Bains for the Saints?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scott Clayton

Read the article this morning.

Have a feeling he may end up at the AFL in some capacity, although perhaps the Saints have appeal. Looks like he will struggle to get another role as a recruiter but has enough experience to step into an administration role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

Have a feeling he may end up at the AFL in some capacity, although perhaps the Saints have appeal. Looks like he will struggle to get another role as a recruiter but has enough experience to step into an administration role.
    He hasn't been recruiting for a number of years now, he has been the list manager at GC.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you can't find the right picks with what GC had then it's clear he won't get another job in recruiting talent.

There was also the inability to find a decent tall while he was at the dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Every person in the industry has an expiry date. I think he's reached his expiry date.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I think if you can't find the right picks with what GC had then it's clear he won't get another job in recruiting talent.

There was also the inability to find a decent tall while he was at the dogs.
    Minson, Brian Lake, Roughead

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Minson, Brian Lake, Roughead
    One star tall in 10 years with a mountain of early picks. A truly horrendous performance that easily have been matched by anyone who follows the draft predictor online.

He's done remarkably well to last as long as he did in the AFL industry. It's not only his absolute ineptitude in picking talls, his obsession with skinny outside runners, and ambivalence to competitiveness and character were also bizarre.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    One star tall in 10 years with a mountain of early picks. A truly horrendous performance that easily have been matched by anyone who follows the draft predictor online.

He's done remarkably well to last as long as he did in the AFL industry. It's not only his absolute ineptitude in picking talls, his obsession with skinny outside runners, and ambivalence to competitiveness and character were also bizarre.
    Yep heard it all before

Post Thanks / Like

Yep heard it all before
    So why point out 2 plodders and one star as some sort proof that people are wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

So why point out 2 plodders and one star as some sort proof that people are wrong?

Your opinion.

I was responding to: There was also the inability to find a decent tall while he was at the dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Your opinion.

I was responding to: There was also the inability to find a decent tall while he was at the dogs.
    I see, you were laboring a technically while we were clearly talking generalities. There's 5 minutes wasted I'll never get back.

Post Thanks / Like

I see, you were laboring a technically while we were clearly talking generalities. There's 5 minutes wasted I'll never get back.
    me too

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing that this bloke has had a job for so long.

Surely he has to be the worst recruiter of all time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Amazing that this bloke has had a job for so long.

Surely he has to be the worst recruiter of all time?
    But for those 3 Brisbane premierships nobody would have heard of him. And that list was essentially 2 lists distilled into 1 with a bunch of early picks and list concessions stirred in and combined.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

So what you are saying is, "Them that can't do, administrate".
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.