Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

New book: How the west was one

This isn't strictly Bulldogs- related but I hope it's ok to post about a new book launched on the weekend about growing up in the western suburbs. The collection of memoirs includes stories by people with Western Bulldogs connections such as Ted Whitten Jnr, the actor Kevin Harrington, and broadcaster Tony Leonard. The central place that our footy club occupied in many people's childhoods is celebrated in many of the articles.

And I have a story too, about growing up in that western suburb that will surely never be trendy: Deer Park. It's called: The land of the purple thistle.

Best of all, 100 per cent of proceeds go to a charity which supports western suburbs kids with their education costs, Western Chances.

The book is called: How the west was one. I've read most of it now and the stories are fascinating, funny, poignant and honest about a time when the west was certainly not hip. A great Christmas present perhaps?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Likes WBFC4FFC, Eastdog, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New book: How the west was one

Sounds great. Will have to get one. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks TBT, that will make a perfect Christmas present for my old man who grew up in Sunshine.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. The west should be celebrated.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    For sure. The west is a very important part of the city of Melbourne's history.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Where is it available?
    When will it be available?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Come around my place on the weekend. We can start a music festival.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    Where is it available?
    When will it be available?
    https://howthewestwasone.com.au/
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Bought a copy. $29.99.
    Will be a good Christmas Present.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    This isn't strictly Bulldogs- related but I hope it's ok to post about a new book launched on the weekend about growing up in the western suburbs. The collection of memoirs includes stories by people with Western Bulldogs connections such as Ted Whitten Jnr, the actor Kevin Harrington, and broadcaster Tony Leonard. The central place that our footy club occupied in many people's childhoods is celebrated in many of the articles.

And I have a story too, about growing up in that western suburb that will surely never be trendy: Deer Park. It's called: The land of the purple thistle.

Best of all, 100 per cent of proceeds go to a charity which supports western suburbs kids with their education costs, Western Chances.

The book is called: How the west was one. I've read most of it now and the stories are fascinating, funny, poignant and honest about a time when the west was certainly not hip. A great Christmas present perhaps?
    Thanks. Suggested this to my wife for my pending B'Day as a present. Win-Win all-round!