Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Suckling - NFL Punter

There are a couple of articles where Suckling indicates he wants to give NFL Punting a go. I'd suggest it will be at the end of next season once his contract expires. It's a vastly different kicking action but he might do well
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matthew Suckling - NFL Punter

I dunno about NFL punting but with his kicking action he may well be missing a career as a soccer goalkeeper.

TBH while I'm no expert on NFL punting Suckers doesn't strike me as having a classic NFL punting action. He has the talent but I'd reckon to have a special teams career (I've been watching a LOT of NFL the last couple of seasons) then Suckers will have to have some fairly radical remediation on his kicking action.

Richard Oaborne did this too in 1995. Terry Wheeler reckons that decision cost him his coaching career. Wheels must have invested a fair bit of skin in getting Osborne to Footscray only to have it ripped off him when Osborne went to America.

The thing was Osborne was back playing with us by the end of the season. He might have been been playing when Wheeler got the chop for Alan Joyce. I think it's the only time we've sacked a coach after the season started and gone on to make the finals.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There are a couple of articles where Suckling indicates he wants to give NFL Punting a go. I'd suggest it will be at the end of next season once his contract expires. It's a vastly different kicking action but he might do well
    We should really do the right thing and release him from his contract early so he can pursue his dream
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes Twodogs, Mantis, craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We should really do the right thing and release him from his contract early so he can pursue his dream
    I've got a couple who can go with him.

I wonder if any of this was organised when he was over there earlier last month?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe kicking for field goal with his action might work?

Post Thanks / Like

He kicks an AFL ball completely differently to most with good results...who's to say that he can't get similar results with an NFL ball?

Post Thanks / Like

He might as well try to capitalize on his one and only asset.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Seconded.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I'll start the car. If a couple of you lads can help him out to it and sit either side of him on the back seat we can take him to the airport.

I don't mind poor old suckers. He can be a really clever player with his positioning. The ball doesn't just roll to where he happens to be by accident time after time. He's one of our more interesting players just to sit and watch for a few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Good on him, he seems a bloke who'd love the culture of being a sportsman in the US.