Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

International Rules Series.

I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but *!*!*!*! me that was an entertaining game of football.

The skills of the Irish are fantastic and they pressured magnificently. Physically the Aussies obviously had an effed but the balance in the rules is there.

Nat Fyfe and Dayne Zorko are just natural athletes. Zorko's soccer background was obvious, just so comfortable with the round ball.

And Goddard? Well, he's still a knob, but he performed admirably in goal.

That Connor McManus is a brilliant kick. Just effortless.

I don't care what anyone thinks. I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: International Rules Series.

I'm a big fan of the games and agree it was a more than entertaining encounter.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

How many weeks Selwood?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How many weeks Selwood?

None of course. He's a good bloke and as such he is above the rules of the game

It was a great game, how good was Zorko's skills to get the sealer? The way he just spun around looking for an option.

Can we get Connor MacManus onboard as our kicking coach?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

To me it's just filler, irrespective of the skill of all involved.

The AFL is doing its best to diminish the quality of content through the main season, accidentally - or maybe not - and it's going to pay a price for it just like cricket is currently.

Because of the main season fixturing, the competition is becoming less and less similar to what the excellent football codes around the world enjoy. People want equity, transparency and quality in their core or staple football or other sporting competitions. The AFL, like Test Cricketing nations, can't or won't deliver this.

The AFL doesn't need a two week trade period immediately after the Grand Final. You can have everything done in four days, maybe five. Apparently however, it's important they do have it because summer sports are ramping up alongside the Spring Carnival. The draft is in the first week of test cricket, coincidence perhaps, or more likely, just another excuse to fill the airwaves with footy rather than anything else.

How does the above, or the International series actually improve the AFL's core product? It doesn't. We're not idiots, we can follow different sports at the same time if you give us a chance.

Imagine how good we'd all feel if the AFL was an honest and transparent competition that had quality as its main objective. We are a wealthy or rich nation, not a developing one that is looking for any cheap win, the AFL in its expansion into International Rules and AFLX (women's footy is a no brain idea to me and should continue to be encouraged), coupled with its terrible in-season rigging and poor content is in really big trouble to me.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I like International Rules as an opportunity to represent the country. The games have been improved since the team can only be selected from All-Australians.

There is undoubtedly an issue with the AFL trying to have their product visible 24/7 365 days a year, but I think there are bigger concerns than the International Rules games.

As for the games themselves, I was lucky to play in a gaelic football tournament in Europe. The main rules which the Irish tend to struggle with in international rules were the same ones I struggled with when playing gaelic - you cannot take a mark (which is why they instinctively play on at all times) and you cannot be tackled, but can apply physical pressure (which is why they would try to break tackles and never expected run-down tackles). You also can't pick up the ball off the ground unless it's also touching your foot.

The Irish skills with the round ball is their only advantage. I think the scores reflect that the balance is about right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but *!*!*!*! me that was an entertaining game of football.

The skills of the Irish are fantastic and they pressured magnificently. Physically the Aussies obviously had an effed but the balance in the rules is there.

Nat Fyfe and Dayne Zorko are just natural athletes. Zorko's soccer background was obvious, just so comfortable with the round ball.

And Goddard? Well, he's still a knob, but he performed admirably in goal.

That Connor McManus is a brilliant kick. Just effortless.

I don't care what anyone thinks. I love it.
    I like it a lot and think it's pretty exciting to watch, but I don't want any of our players anywhere near it, ever.
    "It's over. It's all over."