Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  84
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLX revealed: Who your club plays and when

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What is the market it's pitching for? I'd say the kids already know Betts, Dangerfield, Fyffe and Riewoldt

My son was interested first time around but I think that my constant criticism, the fact he has gotten a year older and actually having seen it played has curbed his enthusiasm for it. He got right into the build up last year but has barely mentioned it this year. I think the fact he has realised that Bont could get injured playing a glorified game of touch footy that has no meaning whatsoever may have something to do with it too.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Doesn't happen much in my place...the kids absorb the games in 3-4 15x minute chunks throughout the 2 1/2 hours of a broadcast...and if it 'blows out' (more than 4 goals is a good guide) then they lose complete interest.

It isn't as bad as the basketball - I sit down to watch 'a game' and my (supposedly) basketball mad 12yo tells me to let him know when there is 10 mins to go - but honestly all they really want to watch is:

1/. First 10 minutes or so.
    2/. Last 10-15 minutes of a close game.
    3/. The half-time highlights

When I was 12, we would get dropped at the gate for the u18s and stay all day...and for the majority of the seniors we actually sat and watched. Kids aren't like that today.
    I was 13 all of 13 years ago and that was when Rocket came on the scene and we were playing real exciting football. By the end of 2005 when we were making that run at finals I was watching every game and digesting every bit of Bulldog world I could get my hands on. If we played like that earlier I'm sure I'd have been more interested before then as well.

I also went to the game as a kid but that was probably as much about the food as it was the footy.

Maybe it's the case of growing up with a smartphone in hand but I struggle to believe that 13 year olds today who have actual interest in their clubs couldn't sit though a whole match. Then again I don't know many 13 year olds.

Post Thanks / Like

There are just so many distractions for young kids these days. I was 13 in 1977 and pretty much the only thing to do was footy, cricket and upsetting your parents by listening to the rudest, most obnoxious punk rock you could find.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes N/A, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They're not being bumped or tackled
    Stephen May doesn't understand those words.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Stephen May doesn't understand those words.
    That’s why he has a “hamstring” injury and won’t be playing.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I was 13 all of 13 years ago
    Same - we should hang out some time
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Maybe it's the case of growing up with a smartphone in hand but I struggle to believe that 13 year olds today who have actual interest in their clubs couldn't sit though a whole match. Then again I don't know many 13 year olds.
    LOL. Most 17 and 18 year olds who are part of the AFL's talent pathway would watch < 3/4 game of AFL footy each weekend. This isn't true of ALL - but most. 10 years ago I would be able to ask players about elements of an AFL game and they would be able to talk coherently about it/discuss what happened. Now I have to cut the vision and show it to them first before having a discussion. Once upon a time I could talk to players about AFL players who had similar characteristics to them and they would know what I was/who I was talking about. Now, well, you mostly get blank looks unless it is a player from the team they support who puts up videos on IG - which (btw) doesn't exactly help from a style of play perspective!

13 year olds don't consume sport like you did...hell, they don't consume anything like you did. An average 13yo would consume 60-80% of their 'media' via youtube versus television...live sport is the singular attraction of television for them - but as I said, they aren't going to watch for long. They don't watch tv shows - they just dont. They don't watch movies. The world is a very (very) different place.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    LOL. Most 17 and 18 year olds who are part of the AFL's talent pathway would watch < 3/4 game of AFL footy each weekend. This isn't true of ALL - but most. 10 years ago I would be able to ask players about elements of an AFL game and they would be able to talk coherently about it/discuss what happened. Now I have to cut the vision and show it to them first before having a discussion. Once upon a time I could talk to players about AFL players who had similar characteristics to them and they would know what I was/who I was talking about. Now, well, you mostly get blank looks unless it is a player from the team they support who puts up videos on IG - which (btw) doesn't exactly help from a style of play perspective!

13 year olds don't consume sport like you did...hell, they don't consume anything like you did. An average 13yo would consume 60-80% of their 'media' via youtube versus television...live sport is the singular attraction of television for them - but as I said, they aren't going to watch for long. They don't watch tv shows - they just dont. They don't watch movies. The world is a very (very) different place.
    To be fair, I've been moving more in that direction myself the last two years. But yeah it's interesting to hear how drastically things have changed in a relatively short period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

'No interest': Bulldogs president criticises timing of AFLX

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has "no interest" in an AFLX tournament that he believes shouldn't take place during the women's season, if at all, while admitting he wasn't aware that former Bulldog Emma Kearney always had her heart set on a move to the Kangaroos.

Ahead of the Bulldogs' top-of-the-table clash with the Kangaroos in Launceston on Friday, Gordon said he stood by his belief that all the money invested in AFLX should be diverted to a women's game he describes as the "fastest growing sport in Australia, both in terms of participation and audience".

I’ve got no interest in AFLX, and I wish that it wasn’t played during the AFLW season, if it were played at all," he said on Thursday.
    "I think everyone’s entitled to be interested in what they’re interested in, and not be interested in what they’re not. I’m not interested in AFLX. For those who are, good luck to them.

"But I’m not here as a paid employee of the AFL."

Gordon's words reiterate the concern he expressed last year at the disproportionate funding and promotion given to AFLX in its first edition.

Next Friday's AFLX tournament has been hit by the recent withdrawals of star players Chad Wingard (Hawthorn), Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide) and Steven May (Melbourne).
    The AFL maintains that clubs and players are keen to participate in the tournament.

But with most teams to play intraclub matches in the coming days, there's a risk of yet more dropouts.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As with most things, I agree with our Pres. Succinctly encapsulates how a good many people feel I'm assuming.

The final drop out number of named players will be the only interesting thing as to what it might say about players and clubs really being on board with this.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Caught the end of the Bont interview this morning on SEN, he seemed to be saying the right things (i.e. media managed to a finite degree).
    All I really took from the interview is that Bailey Smith is a freak and has been very impressive in the match sim while showing some genuine burst speed.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Caught the end of the Bont interview this morning on SEN, he seemed to be saying the right things (i.e. media managed to a finite degree).
    All I really took from the interview is that Bailey Smith is a freak and has been very impressive in the match sim while showing some genuine burst speed.
    The Bont speaks so well. The media must love interviewing him. He plays a good defensive game too. Future captain without a shadow of a doubt. #fewch
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

How many players have crossed themselves out of contention so far?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

How many players have crossed themselves out of contention so far?
    9 so far that I can tell: Jeremy Cameron, Tom McDonald, Isaac Smith, Luke Breust, Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Steven May, Joel Hamling and Robbie Tarrant.

Smith and Bruest aren't even injured, they are just going to play a practice game instead. I didn't realise that was an option, why aren't our players playing in a practice game instead? At least no Bulldogs have been called up to replace the drop outs.

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't get. Make a version of AFL to be played on a rectangular ground. Then tweak it to the point that it no longer resembles AFL football. How is that supposed to attract more followers to AFL proper?

Meanwhile, make sure that this pointless parody of a game takes resources away from and treads on the toes of AFLW which people WANT to play and WANT to watch.

Makes no sense to me.