Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  84
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLX revealed: Who your club plays and when

May as well play soccer instead of inventing a game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

As a spectator I just don't like it. I can see the appeal to the younger generation but I'm a traditionalist and I get annoyed at constant rule changes let alone introducing something that would turned out on American TV.
    So for me I won't be viewing any more as I had enough of the one game I watch last season.
    Each to their own I guess.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Fair enough, i guess to me it seems like an unnecessary risk and surely it interrupts preseason preparation and planning(even if only slightly).
    I went to a presentation by Clarkson years ago where he talked abiut the benefits of taking players through the Kakoda experience and he was comfortable with the substantially higher injury risk because of the overall benefits for his players.

We can't not push the players to be the best they can without increasing the risk.

AFL X has no tackling or bumps so there is less risk but I don't think comes with any benefit
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely see your point MJP and think the game has merit, although I am sceptical of it as a spectator sport. A bit like other shorter versions of sports it has me wanting to watch the real thing instead, which I guess is half the point. Its value as a gateway drug to non-AFL people remains to be seen but i am in no position to judge that and can accept I am not necessarily the target market for it.

I think the biggest issue is the marketing. The game was guaranteed to be met with scepticism and be laughed at by supporters (I seem to remember T20 also suffering from this initially) and considering the average AFL fan automatically defaults to the time honoured conversation topic of "Why can't they just leave it alone" and the media love overreacting it was always going to be walking on eggshells until it took off. However as soon as they did that joke announcement with GIil standing awkwardly with jugglers and clowns and basically an entire circus and they announced "zooper goals" I think it just solidified in everyones brains (including mine) that it was not going to be anything more than a joke tournament. Using the clubs was also a mistake, with most of them treating it with disdain (none more than us, which is something I found disappointing).

Of course the players are going to be used to showcase the game, they are the AFLs most (and almost only) marketable product so trotting them out is the best way they can capture everyones attention. This years concept of a shortened tournament where you can be invested and interested in each time at the expense of no other is a much better idea, and for the most part has been setup pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Surely the Gaelic experiment is a better option.
    God no. AFLX may be a compromised version of AFL, but atleast it isn't a mish mash of two sports to the detriment of both.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    God no. AFLX may be a compromised version of AFL, but atleast it isn't a mish mash of two sports to the detriment of both.
    To me the Gaelic footy option is at least country vs country that has the players go hard at contests where as the AFLX is a showcased product that still doesn't represent the game that is played and will have players going through the motions while they're effectively on an overseas jaunt.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I suppose someone has to help stump up for whatever $$ inducements are being made to clubs and players to play weirdoball.

Gatorade, come on down.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Well I suppose someone has to help stump up for whatever $$ inducements are being made to clubs and players to play weirdoball.

Gatorade, come on down.
    I'll give the AFL credit for creating a very different game than what the traditional supporter follows.

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will there be multi-ball? The game couldn't get any more ridiculous so just chuck in a few more balls for fun.

10. Likes bornadog, N/A, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'll give the AFL credit for creating a very different game than what the traditional supporter follows.
    Wait till there is a major injury (fingers crossed none of our players), and then let's see what the AFL and clubs think about this ridiculous experiment.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Wait till there is a major injury (fingers crossed none of our players), and then let's see what the AFL and clubs think about this ridiculous experiment.
    I'd be surprised if clubs are on board with it but it's just a no contact training drill with flashy training vests. If players get injured I don't think the clubs will complain.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they could have celebrities playing and have everyone miked up.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Maybe they could have celebrities playing and have everyone miked up.
    They can't even get celebrities on "I'm a Celebrity get me out of here"
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I could try but i don't i could come up with a worse concept and implementation than aflx

Post Thanks / Like

The farce gets worse. The draft was held last night and the results have been embargoed until today so we can pretend that it's all live. Why didn't they just broadcast it last night?

I didn't think that they could do something that would make this concept even sillier but I've gotta hand it to the AFL because they have. Shocking is an absolute genius.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bont and Lachie Hunter on Fyfe's team. Easton also selected. No JJ or Suckers (for the Zooper goals) was a surprise.
    Footscray member since 1980.

20. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post