Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  84
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLX revealed: Who your club plays and when

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    What was your game called?
    Ummmm, yeah that's a good question. We just called it touch footy but it had a proper name.

Westdog54 might remember.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

So there's no scope for an exhibition match or SOO (which the huge majority of players want), which is fine, because it 'means little', top players will 'get injured' and clubs won't risk their premiership season campaign and any of their players getting LTI injuries... But this shit is forced onto clubs with the risks above.

If members and fans turn their backs and kill the financial viability or reward of the concept, hopefully we can kill it ASAP. Just when you think the AFEL aren't completely drunk on their own self importance, morally devoid to compete against the AFLW and happy to risk clubs all to turn an extra buck to give themselves even bigger bonuses, they take it up a notch.

The sporting calendar has always worked in my lifetime. Cricket short form, (Hopman Cup, Brisbane & Sydney International, Kooyong) Aust Open tennis, Footy/Rugby preseason, Footy/Rugby Season, Bathurst, Spring Carnival, Cricket Tests - And more recently the A League and AFLW working in with it. Every one gets a bite of the cherry. Everyone works together, and in return they get a turn in the line light and the fans get diversity. Running shotgun over a success system of collaborative efforts between codes and sports is beyond arrogance and pisses on every other sporting management group that gave the AFEL their chance to grow unfettered by encroaching into footy season. I think it's disrespectful to fans and the clubs who have the actual exposure if shit gies sideways, that is player injuries. If the AFEL was a human being, say I met socially, I'd struggle not to punch it in the face and kick it in the arse akin to Satanta O'Hailpin on Cameron Cloke.

Dear Jamie Packer, Andrew Forrest or even Rupert Murdoch. We might just be ready for a super league to take our game away from the AFEL, work well with other sports, stop mindless rule tampering year after year that's ruining the game, stop punishing venue deals still in place, manipulating everything from the fixture to Rising Star winners or even tribunal results, and return the game back to the working folks who aren't placated with a $2 pie as compensation for the AFEL mismanagement. Ch9 & Ch10 would love to get in on footy broadcasting again. I'm sure there's clubs out there sick of it too, there's an opportunity for someone to come in and strike and make a lot of money. Man I'd love to just see the rumblings of thus happening to remind the AFEL they're meant to be custodians of our game, of our traditions and not solely a profit centre to give out to themselves huge wages, huge bonuses, get drunk on self importance bullshit and rooting the young secretaries. So to the AFEL, in the immortal words of Ugly Kid Joe, 'I hate everything about you'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Ummmm, yeah that's a good question. We just called it touch footy but it had a proper name.

Cyberdoggie called it touch footy.

From this thread #25

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showth...-WOOFERS/page2
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Unpopular opinion but i don't mind the sound of it. I'm mot exagtly excited by it but i can understand the AFL being keen to catch up with the growing trend of sports offering a smaller version (fast 5 netball, 20/20, rugby 7s etc). It allows the sport to be played overseas more easily and may or may not be fun.

It isnt as if it will replace their core product, like 20/20 has with cricket.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

The old version was called RecFooty (Recreational Football) and was 8 a side.

The more recent version is called AFL 9s. They've added a player to each team and relaxed the zoning/offside rule.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The old version was called RecFooty (Recreational Football) and was 8 a side.

The more recent version is called AFL 9s. They've added a player to each team and relaxed the zoning/offside rule.

Did we have 3 back, 3 forward and two in the middle?

Post Thanks / Like

Did we have 3 back, 3 forward and two in the middle?
    Yep.

There is now 3-3-3, but once the ball is cleared from the ballup anyone can move anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Unpopular opinion but i don't mind the sound of it. I'm mot exagtly excited by it but i can understand the AFL being keen to catch up with the growing trend of sports offering a smaller version (fast 5 netball, 20/20, rugby 7s etc). It allows the sport to be played overseas more easily and may or may not be fun.

It isnt as if it will replace their core product, like 20/20 has with cricket.
    Don't get me wrong, I have loved playing 9s while in Europe and it is a great way to spread our game to an international community. It allows for smaller fields and smaller participation numbers, both of which are major problems over here.

But why exactly they needed to create the new product of AFLX and put it smack bang in the middle of the AFLW is beyond me. IMO the rule changes cheapen it, as my experience says once you get someone involved they love the game for what it is. 9s is an exciting and fast paced game on its own.

I'll be putting my energy and attention towards the women's games.

Side note, if anyone does love the idea of AFL expansion and wants to live in London, AFL Europe are advertising positions at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I have loved playing 9s while in Europe and it is a great way to spread our game to an international community. It allows for smaller fields and smaller participation numbers, both of which are major problems over here.

But why exactly they needed to create the new product of AFLX and put it smack bang in the middle of the AFLW is beyond me. IMO the rule changes cheapen it, as my experience says once you get someone involved they love the game for what it is. 9s is an exciting and fast paced game on its own.

I'll be putting my energy and attention towards the women's games.

Side note, if anyone does love the idea of AFL expansion and wants to live in London, AFL Europe are advertising positions at the moment.
    I would have jumped at that 10 years ago... alas.

Realistically. They could have probably achieved the same thing with 10 a side on a standard (possibly narrowed) forks and having 10 minute halves.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea why they have made the playing area so dramatically smaller. If anything makes our game different it's the size of the arena it's played on. I can understand all the practical reasons for having a smaller playing field but I would dispute it had to be made that much smaller. It just removes the main Point of difference our game has to offer (a lot of the skills of the game just won't be able to be carried out on a smaller field) and just makes this a crappier version of rugby 7s.

If we had to have AFLX I would have liked to see it played in the bye weekend before the finals started and played between the clubs that didn't make the eight. Make it worth something, winners get 500k or an extra draft pick or something really worthwhile. It's disappointing the AFL have just used it to strangle another competitor of oxygen-I bet the weekend it's on is the same as the Oz open final or the Grand Prix or most likely the A-league grand final. And I would have liked the AFL to really change up the rules. Any player to take the kick from a free kick like in soccer (I've always wanted this in the main game) and that sort of thing. With this they've not made enough changes I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to be VFL players going at it early in the preseason, not a separate comp. Preseason has always been a bit gimmicky
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

All that's happened is that they've taken away the first week of the JLT Cup or whatever it is and made it a separate event known as AFL X.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the AFLX competition holding any interest for people at the moment?

There are a whole variety of rules different to the normal game including that it will be play on if you kick backwards to a teammate even if he holds the mark except in the forward 40mtr arc. The team that last touches the abll as it goes out of bounds hands over possession. There are super goals as well

7 players on the field and 3 on the bench with unlimited inter changes, 2 x 10 minute halves played on a more or less soccer sized field field.

It will be interesting to see how team set-up for this and if teams will go tall or small.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully we only use our fringe players.

A serious injury in this joke comp would give me the shits big time.
    The curse is dead.

15. Likes bornadog, Testekill, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It will be interesting to see how team set-up for this and if teams will go tall or small.
    One tall each end of the field I think. Small rucks
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff