Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  84
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLX revealed: Who your club plays and when

Noticed that the other teams playing up in Sydney have named squads of 14 - 20 players whilst we have just gone with the 12.

Post Thanks / Like

We have pretty much named the bottom 12 players on our list.

When Redpath and Webb are the only players adding "experience" to the squad (a whopping 53 games combined), you know they aren't exactly taking it seriously.

FWIW our next most experienced player named is Young with 7 games, then English and Smith with 2 a piece, Lipinski 1 and the rest none. Average games per player is just under 6.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    We have pretty much named the bottom 12 players on our list.

When Redpath and Webb are the only players adding "experience" to the squad (a whopping 53 games combined), you know they aren't exactly taking it seriously.

FWIW our next most experienced player named is Young with 7 games, then English and Smith with 2 a piece, Lipinski 1 and the rest none. Average games per player is just under 6.
    We’re clearly tanking
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Redpath thrilled to lead Western Bulldogs in AFLX — and he won’t be holding anything back

JACK Redpath — captain.

If those words make you look twice, you’re not on your own. The man himself will agree with you.

Redpath’s is a football journey like few others. One of six kids from Kyneton who never knew his dad, quit school at 16 and was rookie-listed on his 21st birthday.

There’s been three knee reconstructions — the most recent costing him any chance of playing in the 2016 premiership — and only 34 senior matches in five years.

Last year’s comeback from knee surgery was soured by two suspensions, the latter a harsh three-week ban for striking GWS captain Phil Davis.

Yet everything you need to know about how Redpath is viewed at the Whitten Oval can be found in the fact that even after all that, the 27-year-old was last year signed to his first two-year contract and elevated to the leadership group.

Now comes the unlikely captaincy gong for the Dogs’ two AFLX games on Saturday night.

“My name was thrown up and I was happy to take it, of course. Any time you get to captain a group of AFL players you jump at the opportunity,” Redpath told the Herald Sun.

“‘Bevo’ (coach Luke Beveridge) told me in the leadership group meeting this week. It’s a nice feeling.

“I’m missing Round 1 (through suspension) so it’s another chance for me to one; be captain and two; keep building on the fitness. It’s obviously going to be pretty up and back, which is great for me because that’s what I need to work on — that reaction to turnover.”

The hulking 194cm 99kg forward said he wasn’t worried about the potential for injury playing the rapid version of the game.

“I’m rapt to play it. When people say it’s high-speed and there might be injuries, we train three nights a week, our intra clubs are full-on and we’ve been in Mooloolaba for two weeks and everything is full-on,” he said.

“You could get injured at any time and if you do it’s bad luck. But I never worry about it. I’m not scared to get injured. I think once you’ve had a few of them and perhaps now that I’m a little older, it’s just something that comes with the game.

“I also approach it differently. Some boys playing in it might be worried about where they sit, but for me it’s sweet. It’s another massive opportunity and if you go out there and play well it just shoots you into the year.”

In an industry where the elite are put on pedestals and feted, Redpath’s elevation to an AFL leadership group despite a career so-far lacking consistent on-field heroics can’t be undersold.

He is respected by teammates for his toughness, or as he says, “having a crack”.

“I used to be a carpenter and I always take it back to that. I worked on building sites with 40-year-old guys when I was 15 and then at 18 I was running parts of jobs on my own and dealing with older people,” he said.

“I feel my communication skills are pretty good and I’m a boy’s boy. I love getting around the boys; there’s 44 blokes in there and I’ve got a relationship with all of them.

“For me, it’s almost like getting a kick is at the lower end (of the priority list). It’s about relationships and helping the guys through things.

“I’m not gifted with all the talent in the world, but I feel like I’ve contributed when I’m out there.”

If the summer is any guide, Redpath will be out there more often this year. Noticeably slimmer after his first full pre-season in two years, he said the Dogs were poised to answer the critics in 2018.

He dismissed suggestions a premiership hangover derailed the club’s 2017 campaign, instead saying “a lot of stuff gets said that goes straight over your head”.

“You come back for pre-season and it’s honestly like nothing has happened before. Before you know it you’re in match play and guys are cracking it because they’ve missed a kick. It’s such a competitive environment,” Redpath said.

“It’s not about proving anyone wrong. It’s about getting back to how good we know we are. Last year wasn’t where we wanted to finish.

“This year obviously we want to play finals, but it all starts Round 1 and we build from there.

“This year just feels so fresh and our Mooloolaba camp was amazing. I don’t know if it’s because guys are a year older, everyone is better friends or the camaraderie is stronger in the group.

“I guess you say that every year, but it really feels good. It feels like we’re right on the right track and ready to go.”

Post Thanks / Like

It’s the exact sort of squad I was hoping we’d pick, first time up.

Things may change over the coming years, but I see this format as a chance for kids and fringe types to show their stuff on a bigger stage than VFL.

I would have included Suckling because this format looks made for him.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we could have added a couple of experienced guys like Honeychurch, Schache and Suckling assuming they are fit enough.

I've never been a fan of tanking but really this is a big 'Up Yours" to the AFL and the competition.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Dogs. Exactly the sort of squad we should have picked.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh, I'm happy with squad. Lynch must be carrying an injury of some sorts as he should have been named also.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think we could have added a couple of experienced guys like Honeychurch, Schache and Suckling assuming they are fit enough.

I've never been a fan of tanking but really this is a big 'Up Yours" to the AFL and the competition.
    Games of AFL experience for the named AFLX squads

1052 NTH
    955 STK
    932 FREM
    877 GEEL
    848 PORT
    786 ESS
    774 SYD
    752 HAW
    748 COLL
    709 BRIS
    681 MELB
    540 GCS
    472 GWS
    412 CARL
    278 ADEL
    261 RICH
    91 WCE
    65 WBD
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That's because North and the Saints have no good kids.

12. Likes N/A, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Redpath has missed more games through suspension than the others have played
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Redpath has missed more games through suspension than the others have played
    Good stat. It makes him an interesting choice as captain "boys I may not play much but when I do I promise I will thump someone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Rohan Smith to coach AFLX side

Western Bulldogs Development Manager Rohan Smith will take the coaching reins this weekend when the Club travels to Sydney for the inaugural AFLX tournament, along with development coaches Jamie Maddox and Jordan Russell.

Smith, who played 300-games for the Bulldogs over a 16-year career and has fulfilled a variety of coaching roles at the Club since 2012, said he’s excited to have the opportunity to coach his own team.

“It’s a great opportunity for me to coach my own team for the first time, definitely.” he told westernbulldogs.com.au on Wednesday.

“When we came back from Christmas holidays Bev (coach Luke Beveridge) asked me if I wanted to do it, and I jumped at it. “ Smith said.

Speaking on the AFLX concept, Smith said he expects fans will embrace the tournament, but there’s also great scope for players to further develop their offensive and defensive games, particularly the ability to quickly switch between sets, and apply them to the season proper.

“It’s fast paced, high scoring, we’ll see a lot of long goals and some great offensive play, but we’ve got to make sure we play the game properly, the way we want to play AFL footy, both offensively and defensively and I think AFLX lends itself to that.

“It’s good learning for everyone, basically.”

The Bulldogs will announce their squad at 4pm today on westernbulldogs.com.au.

Another thing that bubba can cross off his bucket list. Play a senior game for Footscray, check, play 300 games for the Bulldogs, check. I'm willing to bet that Rohan's bucket list involves football completely.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to the AFLx in adelaide tonight with some port mates. Ticket only cost $10 and is on the other end of my tram line so will have some beers and be mildly interested for a few hours. Will be barracking for injuries and suspensions and whomever is playing the crows

16. Likes Twodogs, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Games of AFL experience for the named AFLX squads

1052 NTH
    955 STK
    932 FREM
    877 GEEL
    848 PORT
    786 ESS
    774 SYD
    752 HAW
    748 COLL
    709 BRIS
    681 MELB
    540 GCS
    472 GWS
    412 CARL
    278 ADEL
    261 RICH
    91 WCE
    65 WBD
    Only naming 12 players in the squad compared to up to 20 in other squads doesn't make it a like for like comparison, an average would be better. No doubt we are incredibly inexperienced though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Only naming 12 players in the squad compared to up to 20 in other squads doesn't make it a like for like comparison, an average would be better. No doubt we are incredibly inexperienced though.
    I realise that, but just goes to show how inexperienced we are.

Rohan Smith said we are using the AFLX as a development tool - thank you.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.