Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  56
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leadership Group 2018 - Wood Captain

I'm torn on this one. I think we're going to have a great 2020. Marcus had an excellent 2019. I want him to have an even better 2020. Giving him the added responsibility of the captaincy MAY militate against this.
    On the other hand, Easton has had to play a difficult role because of our undersized defence. With the addition of Keath, Easton will be freed up to play a more attacking role. I think he should captain us again in 2020
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Any particular reason Doc?
    Wood is one of the best captain's in the league.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

3. Likes bornadog, merantau, WBFC4FFC, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Wood is one of the best captain's in the league.
    I thought he was our best player in the final against GWS
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought he was our best player in the final against GWS
    Are we linking form to the question of the captaincy?

I'm not sure I see any reason to hold Bontempelli back for another 12 months and it's probably better to have the likes of Wood and Trengove around to support him in his first season
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Bont to captain the club in 2020.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Thanks The Pie Man, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Bont to captain the club in 2020.
    As in a fact, or your opinion?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    As in a fact, or your opinion?
    Tis fact - congrats Marcus!

The right call IMV
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep totally agree. Had been hoping for this. Massive congrats to Bont and a huge thank you to Easton for his services (including a Premiership!!)

12. Likes bornadog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bontempelli to succeed Wood as captain
    Bontempelli to succeed Wood as captain
    Marcus Bontempelli will take over as the new captain of the Western Bulldogs in 2020.
    Just now

Star midfielder Marcus Bontempelli will lead the Western Bulldogs in 2020.

The 24-year-old will inherit the captaincy from 2016 premiership skipper Easton Wood, who has stepped down after two years in the role but will remain in the leadership group.

Bontempelli, who has been the Bulldogs’ vice-captain for the past two seasons, will have Lachie Hunter as his deputy.

The three-time Charles Sutton Medallist will lead a six-man leadership group, which includes Hunter, Wood, Jason Johannisen, Mitch Wallis and new addition, Josh Dunkley.

Wood announced his decision to players on Monday, with a player vote this morning confirming the Bulldogs’ new captain and vice-captain.

Senior coach Luke Beveridge praised Wood’s leadership during an important period for the Club.

“On behalf of everyone associated with our Club, I want to thank and congratulate Easton for his outstanding contribution as our captain during a period of success and significant change,” Beveridge said.

“The hallmark of great leaders is consistency of temperament, care for others and work ethic regardless of the circumstances.

“Easton has most definitely been dependable in displaying these traits and has forged a reputation as a beacon of strength and resilience within our Club.”

Wood, who deputised for the injured Bob Murphy to lead the Bulldogs to the ultimate success in 2016, said with many strong leaders in the Bulldogs’ ranks he felt the time was right to hand the reins to a new captain.

Bontempelli and Hunter are the right men to build on the environment and culture fostered by Wood and Murphy in recent years, according to Beveridge and the Bulldogs’ playing group.

Marcus has been acknowledged by his peers as the young man who deserves recognition through past contributions, the promise of the future and the impression he will make as the captain of our Club.
    “Congratulations to Marcus as he succeeds Easton as our captain,” Beveridge said.

“We have come to admire Marcus for the impact he has had on the game and his already remarkable reputation as a Western Bulldogs player.

“We are blessed to have tremendous wealth of character within our playing group. Marcus has been acknowledged by his peers as the young man who deserves recognition through past contributions, the promise of the future and the impression he will make as the captain of our Club.

“It goes without saying that everyone here is thrilled for Marcus and will do all we can to support him as he takes on new responsibilities.

“We also congratulate Lachie as we recognise him through the vice-captaincy as the teammate best equipped to support Marcus, to continue to set a fine example and grow his own leadership qualities.”

Why not share?

Link copied to clipboard
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

14. Thanks Eastdog, merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Marcus, sign that 7 year extension today.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Likes Remi Moses, Eastdog, cinder, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Easton Wood is a person of quality and has been a fine leader, he is a premiership captain, only our second in 165 years since foundation and in 94 years since joining the VFL. With a better backline in 2020 and with less responsibiliity I think he will have a very good year. Marcus Bontempelli is a natural leader with extraordinary ability, mature beyond his years and will be a great captain, congratulations Bont.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done to the Bont
    No great shock
    Easton Wood is a premiership captain
    Done a wonderful job and now it’s time to pass on the baton

Post Thanks / Like

Well done to Marcus and Lachie as his deputy. Great to see Wallis back in the leadership group, he is a player that could easily be captain.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Easton

Post Thanks / Like

Easton Wood is all class. Put the Club first and made it easy for all concerned. I think this will result in a win-win-win because, from what I see, Easton has made the decision himself. This puts him in the best position to play football and not pay any attention to background noise because there won't be any. And, being in the leadership group he is there for the Bont at any time. And I'm sure that has been communicated.
    Initially I thought that Easton should have one more year to allow the Bont to be totally free just to play football. I now think Bont will go to another level s skipper especially with the leadership group around him. Go Dogs. Big year on the horizon.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."