Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  56
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Leadership Group 2018 - Wood Captain

Easton Wood has been announced as the new captain of the Western Bulldogs.

The 28-year-old will lead a leadership group of six, which includes Marcus Bontempelli as vice-captain.

The new-look group, which was voted on by the players, includes Lachie Hunter, Jason Johannisen, Jack Redpath and Jordan Roughead.

Wood, the Bulldogs’ vice-captain for the last two seasons, led the Club to a historic premiership in 2016 in the absence of Bob Murphy, who missed most of that season with a knee injury.

Murphy, the Club captain from 2015-17, retired in August after 312 games.

Bulldogs’ senior coach Luke Beveridge praised Wood for his leadership qualities.

“Easton provides inspiration on and off the field and stimulates all of us to reach new heights on both a personal level and as a team,” Beveridge said.

“He is selfless, caring, always puts the team and the Club first, and is the ultimate professional.

“His experience of stepping in as captain in Bob’s absence in 2016 will give him confidence that he can lead the Club into the future, and we have full confidence in him.”

Wood has established himself as one of the AFL best defenders, playing 125 games since his debut in 2009.

“It’s a huge honour. I’m really excited about taking on the role,” Wood said.

“I feel like I’ve been pretty fortunate to have had a great lead-in into it when Bob went down, but still having that support there for him to guide me through it.

“I couldn’t have had a better apprenticeship. It’s exciting to have that challenge and opportunity to keep growing.”

In a joint decision between Dale Morris and Beveridge, Morris will step away from official leadership duties to allow a new group to forge their own identity.

“While Dale, a long-time leader at the Bulldogs, won’t have the official title, he brings outstanding leadership qualities to the playing group and that won’t change,” Beveridge said.

“We ask each of our players to provide leadership in their own way, and Dale will continue to be one who has plenty to offer to his team-mates and the Club.”

Link

2. Thanks GVGjr, Eastdog, Twodogs, Smads57, Daughter of the West thanked for this post
    Likes Remi Moses, Max469, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leadership Group 2018 - Wood Captain

Interesting that two of our six man leadership group are players that many of us have predicted may struggle for games in 2018, namely Red and Roughy. It shows how well respected Redpath is, and while it doesn't completely explain the decision to give him a two year contract it does show part of the reasoning.

Also pleasantly surprised to see Lachie Hunter recognised by his peers as a leader. That wasn't the perception I had of him, and JJ has also struck me as a fairly quiet guy. Happy for both of them.

Wood and Bont speak for themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Interesting that two of our six man leadership group are players that many of us have predicted may struggle for games in 2018, namely Red and Roughy. It shows how well respected Redpath is, and while it doesn't completely explain the decision to give him a two year contract it does show part of the reasoning.

Also pleasantly surprised to see Lachie Hunter recognised by his peers as a leader. That wasn't the perception I had of him, and JJ has also struck me as a fairly quiet guy. Happy for both of them.

Wood and Bont speak for themselves.
    It near impossible looking from outside, but was also surprised to see a few names in that group. It’s good to have some fresh players in and blokes like JJ and Hunter whilst still young, are sernior players in the group. Good to see them get recognised by their teammates.

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ doesn't actually surprise me that much - known workhorse on the track.

Hunter is a bit of a surprise, Roughy is a quality person and I still think the no 1 ruck mantle is his to lose while English develops, but Redpath is the head scratcher. Heart of the change-room they say, but with Schache and Boyd fit I really don't see where he plays.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm not privy to the inner sanctum and its goings on, but it's perplexing to me to have a guy in the leadership group who isn't even assured of playing.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Leadership around the club is as important as playing talent. It looks like that's what the players takeaway from the Stringer situation is. I like the fact that it's not just the best 6 players the playing group went with but other factors came into play.

They are learning and growing, that's got to be good news.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

9. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I know I'm not privy to the inner sanctum and its goings on, but it's perplexing to me to have a guy in the leadership group who isn't even assured of playing.

You're talking Redpath yeah? If he is half a leader he will make it his business to do everything possible at the club and away from the club to make sure he is best 22. The other players might think that some trust invested in him might drive him that bit harder or even make him more responsible and stop doing idiotic things every now and then.

Or maybe the other players wanted a soft touch in the leadership group? The leadership group are effectively the lowest level management of the playing group. The players report to them, the leadership group hand out discipline, they can suspend you or fine you, they organise a lot of the training drills and extras. I'd want my best mate involved in all that.

Post Thanks / Like

I see Redpath being included as only a good thing.

It's up to his form to dictate whether he plays or not, but being voted into the leadership group suggests he's very well respected as somebody who is a hard worker, leads by example and is a popular teammate.

Captain/VC aside, I see no issue in a player being in the leadership group who isn't a walk up start to the 22. The younger players will look up to him moreso at VFL level.

12. Likes bulldogtragic, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Three time Premiership Captain Easton Wood. Sounds good.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes dadsgirl16, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Three time Premiership Captain Easton Wood. Sounds good.
    One premiership at a time, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

2018 and 2019 sounds good though
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Wood is an excellent appointment and an obvious one in my view. Well deserved and was a mighty leader in our premiership year.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wood reminds me a bit of Nick Maxwell/Tom Harley type of captain. Not the best plYer in the team but prepares well and sets a huge example.

Post Thanks / Like

Wood showed himself to be a wonderful leader and I am really pleased that Bont is his deputy. He is the obvious heir apparent.
    I'm happy with the leadership group two especially with the appointment of JJ. It is a big vote of confidence in him.
    Roughie had an indifferent year for us last year but had a lot to contend with injury wise. He played his best ever footy for us in the 2016 campaign and a fit, firing Roughie will see our stovks rise. Hunter is a very good player who gives everything and it's good that this has been recognised. Redpath ? Like others gave said, the LG doesn't have to be the best 6 players. The best 6 leadets will do just fine. I trust the decisions that have been made. Go Dogs! 2018 - let's creat a bit of mayhem and excitement with a full-on, attacking brand of football which s ribes might dub : Shock and Awe!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

20. Likes Eastdog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Bont looking in great shape.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

22. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The Bont looking in great shape.

Are their boots colour coordinated?

24. Likes josie, N/A liked this post