Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  56
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leadership Group 2018 - Wood Captain

Interesting discussion. It's important to remember that the leadership group is selected by the players. Like many, I am surprised that Red, JJ, Hunter were elected ahead of Wallis, Macrae etc, based on my outsiders take on the personalities.

Post Thanks / Like

BEVO ANNOUNCES LEADERSHIP GROUP - WATCH HERE
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

As Peanuts mentioned (and can be seen in the video) the group was assembled based on peer votes.

I think it is really easy for us to say "should have been this bloke" or whatever, but the reality is we don't know anywhere near the detail about the group dynamic both on field, on the track, in the gym, locker room, cafe, wider world etc.

I think most comments on who should/shouldn't be in reference the on-field, based on what we see from playing abilities etc. I think that is way too simplistic and you have to remember that is only 2 hours out of the week.

Assume someone has an issue- It is pretty vital that all players feel represented and feel like they have a go to if there is something bothering them. Too many blokes from the same clique in the group might mean players don't feel they have that and then issues become festering sores. Same goes when someone needs disciplining or motivating- usually much easier to take if it's not just coming from the blokes that you don't gel with.

On a tangent, I think anyone who has played sport at any level would have played with enough gun players that were terrible leaders and vice versa to know that it is not all that cut and dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't know, I hope so but he doesn't appear to exhibit that take no nonsense approach I think we need.
    Does Bont? He's a good kid but not sure he would pull people into line like Mitch Wallis would
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Does Bont? He's a good kid but not sure he would pull people into line like Mitch Wallis would
    I think he is more likely to address bad behaviour than most.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pleased with the Wood / Bontempelli combination - that was a quite obvious choice.

Appreciating that the Leadership Group is chosen by a vote of the playing group it still troubles me that Redpath can find his way onto the Leadership Group in front of the likes of Macrae and Wallis. Assuming Schache commands a position, along with TBoyd, Roughead and a developing English, short of injury, I struggle to see how Redpath is anywhere near our best 22.

I'm hoping with this decision that the tail isn't continuing to wag the dog with the playboys in Dahlhaus, Libba, Biggs, Suckling, JJ, Hunter all choosing their man in Redpath.

7. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I'm pleased with the Wood / Bontempelli combination - that was a quite obvious choice.

Appreciating that the Leadership Group is chosen by a vote of the playing group it still troubles me that Redpath can find his way onto the Leadership Group in front of the likes of Macrae and Wallis. Assuming Schache commands a position, along with TBoyd, Roughead and a developing English, short of injury, I struggle to see how Redpath is anywhere near our best 22.

I'm hoping with this decision that the tail isn't continuing to wag the dog with the playboys in Dahlhaus, Libba, Biggs, Suckling, JJ, Hunter all choosing their man in Redpath.
    Are you basing this on playing ability, or do you have an insight into their leadership capabilities? Personally I don’t see an issue if Red is in and out of the team. Firstly, there are 20 odd AFL listed players that will be playing at Footscray on any given weekend and they too will require on field leadership.

Secondly, I would hope that all players (regardless of title) provide leadership when they throw on the jumper. One bloke out of six from the official group being relegated to the twos shouldn’t upset the Apple cart.

Lastly, as I mentioned I think that all players think they have a voice and having different blokes from different social groups may be a huge plus. Maybe it is enough to stop them getting totally disenfranchised when things get tough?

I tend to feel that the role of the leadership group has evolved and the non-game day role should/already has been given greater importance than in times gone by.

9. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Redpath actually hasn't been out of the team on many occasions over the past 2.5 seasons when fit to play, and not suspended.

In terms of the comments around the Bulldog 'rat pack' type of players voting him in - I don't really buy that to be honest. Redpath is popular across the board - and we even heard Matthew Boyd speak specifically about Redpath during his retirement media commitments.

I think back to how Redpath reacted to doing his ACL (again) and the way that he kept a very positive attitude around the group and got on with the recovery during the latter stages of our premiership year. He showed his character then - and its clear that he is held in high regard around the group. Following this, from doing his knee in Round 18, 2016 - he was back playing AFL football by round 8, 2017.

11. Likes Webby, Prince Imperial, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just something I noted going to VFL games away from Whitten Oval was Redpath's appearance at most of these games (along with the Bont). Suggests he is a team man(??)
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was some discussion on SEN that Bontempelli might be the captain for 2020

Marcus Bontempelli could become Western Bulldogs captain as soon as next season, according to Nick Dal Santo.

Easton Wood has been the permanent captain of the club since 2018 but skippered the side during their 2016 premiership success with Robert Murphy sidelined through injury.

Bontempelli has been widely tipped to eventually become captain of the club he was drafted to in 2013 but Dal Santo said it could happen sooner than expected.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Marcus Bontempelli took over the captaincy (in 2020),” he said on SEN Summer Breakfast.

“I think he’s been touted (for the role) – like many – from a young age and he has leadership qualities. His football clearly speaks for itself and there’s no question with his performance.

“The way he presents himself to the media and the group and the way he’s respected within that football club, I just wouldn’t be surprised (if he takes over) next year.

“It’s going to be one year (when he takes over) but I wouldn’t surprised if it’s this year where Easton Wood feels it’s the time to hand over and Marcus is ready to go with Easton still at the footy club.

The former St Kilda and North Melbourne star said it would be beneficial for Bontempelli to have Wood still at the club to lend a hand should he need it if he does become captain next season.

“If you’re on the football field, you be exactly who you are,” he said.

“The game is changing, and the game has changed since I stopped playing about the way you can speak to each other and the way it’s received.

“Have Marcus say to Easton ‘hey, I’m here for you whenever you need it’.

“I just think Marcus is ready to go.”

15. Thanks bulldogtragic, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Marcus is 24 and with 127 games to his credit and I think with our age profile I think he's ready.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer Wood remain as captain and Bontempelli vice captain for 2020.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I would prefer Wood remain as captain and Bontempelli vice captain for 2020.
    Any particular reason Doc?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm for a mega announcement. Bonts made captain, and he signs a 7 year deal. Keep the good news coming for the club and members.

Plus Bonts thrives on responsibility (usually), and Wood can concentrate on playing good footy alone.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bont for me.

Wood has done a great job and is clearly an outstanding human and teammate, but we are ready for the next generation to run this side and I'd prefer they did it now, while we have senior players getting games who can support. Bont is a proven leader, and him in a leadership role with more camera time helps us market ourselves too.