Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  56
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leadership Group 2018 - Wood Captain

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thank you Easton

That's a great shot with all that red, white and blue in the background and the skipper waving the cup.

I woke up the next day with a bunch of photos on my phone that I have no idea where they came from. Quite a few of them appear to have been taken from out on the ground during the presentation.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic news. I’m pretty excited to see where the Bont goes from here. Well done to Easton Wood. Took on a very tough position when the club needed on field leadership. And to be known as a premiership captain, he will be lauded for the rest of his life. IT JUST FEELS RIGHT. After our finish and with our very impressive new recruits, it feels like something is building and this is the perfect time for the handover. Cheers to the new beginning. I can’t bloody wait now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Fantastic news. I’m pretty excited to see where the Bont goes from here. Well done to Easton Wood. Took on a very tough position when the club needed on field leadership. And to be known as a premiership captain, he will be lauded for the rest of his life. IT JUST FEELS RIGHT. After our finish and with our very impressive new recruits, it feels like something is building and this is the perfect time for the handover. Cheers to the new beginning. I can’t bloody wait now
    I like a Hawthorn 2000's comparison to us.

Sam Mitchell, was a good captain and won the premiership 'early' as a captain in 2008. Then he was also the captain as the 'hang over' kicked in, but also when his Hawthorn side fired back into the finals a couple of years later finishing 7th. Finishing 30 wins, 1 draw, 24 losses.

Mitchell then stood aside for arguably Hawthorn's fiercest competitor and proven big game player, Luke Hodge. The Hodge Hawthorn was a driven, fierce unit that understood the need for delivering on potential, not trading off of it. They played 4 Grand Finals in a row, winning three in a row.

The Mitchell Hawthorn was a premiership side, under a very good captain.
    The Hodge Hawthorn was a three time premiership side, under a very, very good captain.

They needed Mitchell then, they needed Hodge later. One is not necessarily better than the other, it's about the right leader at the right time, in the right circumstances. I see something of a parallel. Wood wins a Premiership, takes over in losing times and sees us back to finals to hand over to the next captain with a positive win-loss record (30 wins, 24 losses). Now it's time for our proven big game player to lead from the front with the (c) and drive the players to his standards. (And kick straight)

I like the way you phrased it Simon, 'the new beginning'. My gut says the Bontempelli Years will be very good years.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Thanks S Coast Simon thanked for this post
    Likes merantau, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The Mitchell Hawthorn was a premiership side, under a very good captain.
    Not sure too many Hawthorn players would agree with this.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Not sure too many Hawthorn players would agree with this.
    I think people were pretty quick to endorse Hodge as soon as he got his shit together.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to Easton Wood on his wonderful stint as captain. Premiership captain says it all.

Best wishes to Bont who now follows in the footsteps of 2 of our greatest ever captains in Murphy and Wood.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

9. Likes merantau, S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's a great shot with all that red, white and blue in the background and the skipper waving the cup.

I woke up the next day with a bunch of photos on my phone that I have no idea where they came from. Quite a few of them appear to have been taken from out on the ground during the presentation.
    TBH when I think of Wood I don't think of that photo - my first thought is the hanger he took in the first ten minutes of the 2016 prelim.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    TBH when I think of Wood I don't think of that photo - my first thought is the hanger he took in the first ten minutes of the 2016 prelim.
    Mark in the f50 in the first q of the GF.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

or this Mark

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes strebla, Mofra, S Coast Simon liked this post