Thanks Thanks:  54
Likes Likes:  164
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Aaron Naughton

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Look at Suckling, brilliant left footer but can't kick right. I know what you mean, but some of those left passes over the last few weeks resulted in damaging turnovers.
    If you watch the Daniher-McLean Tri-call you will see that this is a fallacy.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at Suckling, brilliant left footer but can't kick right. I know what you mean, but some of those left passes over the last few weeks resulted in damaging turnovers.
    He can't kick left when shooting for goal either
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I assume you mean ‘stick to kicking with their preferred foot’ - as Naughton is a left footer, and Cordy a right footer.
    Sorry my bad.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    If you watch the Daniher-McLean Tri-call you will see that this is a fallacy.
    Not sure what I am looking at?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what I am looking at?
    Kicks a good right foot kick at the start before Daniher takes the mark

7. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's showing all the signs of being a very good player for us. He judges the ball in the air so well and has quickly settled into our backline.

He's quirky with his kicking but if we can improve that a bit over time then it's an exciting future ahead
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton is going very well.

With respect to his kicking - I see it very much like Dale Morris. When he first began playing for the Dogs - Morris was an awful kick, but he very quickly adapted to his limitations in that area, and became very reliable because he would take the first safe option available on his preferred foot, or via hand. I can’t even picture Dale using his left foot - he just doesn’t have the need. I think it has been a combination of him being very quick to identify the first safe option - and also his team mates knowing him so well in terms of seeing when he is about to win a contest/intercept mark and being that option for him. Due to this, Dale has been really reliable for a long time now.

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton and Cordy need to stick to kicking with their preferred foot.
    I don't agree here BAD - both need to be able to go off either foot so we can get the play moving again after they intercept mark, and to switch the play.

The one howler Naughton had on the weekend that cost us a goal, was largely because he tried to come back on to his dominant leg instead of backing himself

Now, he clearly he needs to keep working on his kicking, but like Cordy, its probably never going to look classical, even if it is effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I don't agree here BAD - both need to be able to go off either foot so we can get the play moving again after they intercept mark, and to switch the play.

The one howler Naughton had on the weekend that cost us a goal, was largely because he tried to come back on to his dominant leg instead of backing himself

Now, he clearly he needs to keep working on his kicking, but like Cordy, its probably never going to look classical, even if it is effective.
    Yeah I tend to agree with this.

My heart is in my mouth when Cordy goes onto the left - but aside from the howler v West Coast (which was actually an ‘unneccessary Left’) he is usually ugly but reliable. An absolutely Naughton’s error on the weekend was that he tried to get around to the left and by the time he kicked it the option had been closed down.

The players will make costly errors with their non-preferred from time to time - but I think the bigger picture is that they have to keep using both sides of their body.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Yeah I tend to agree with this.

My heart is in my mouth when Cordy goes onto the left - but aside from the howler v West Coast (which was actually an ‘unneccessary Left’) he is usually ugly but reliable. An absolutely Naughton’s error on the weekend was that he tried to get around to the left and by the time he kicked it the option had been closed down.

The players will make costly errors with their non-preferred from time to time - but I think the bigger picture is that they have to keep using both sides of their body.
    I agree both players need to work on their skills so they can kick on both sides, however, until they get it right, try and avoid it.

Naughton is only 18, and will make mistakes, one of his issues is hesitating before he makes a decision. The example you give above, (or could be another one), he hesitated for a second, and should have gone with the first option, and then got caught holding the ball.

I have been impressed by him overall and looking forward to Naughton and Young holding down defense for many years to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy on his preferred is ugly but quite effective - not many other players would have kicked that first goal in the GF but I was confident Cordy would nail it.

His 1-2 turnovers per game are hopefully outweighed by his many intercept marks per game. I can't recall such a young player reading it so well off the boot. Ever.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

We've recently been in the habit of re-signing highly talented top picks in their first year. Any wonder why we haven't got his signature as yet?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We've recently been in the habit of re-signing highly talented top picks in their first year. Any wonder why we haven't got his signature as yet?
    Because, as a tall defender from WA, he is obviously going to walk out on the club to try and get to Freo.

Personally I can't wait to straight swap him for Adam Cerra at the end of 2019.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Because, as a tall defender from WA, he is obviously going to walk out on the club to try and get to Freo.

Personally I can't wait to straight swap him for Adam Cerra at the end of 2019.
    He doesn't want to live in a WA or play at Freo. He said that last year. He said he wanted to get drafted and play for Collingwood.

Edit:

"At the AFL draft next week 17-year-old Rockingham defender Aaron Naughton will be among those predicted to go in the top 10.

But the talent, who is already being compared to the Eagles’ All-Australian star Jeremy McGovern, has a message for the Fremantle Dockers.

‘Let me go to Collingwood’.

Considered a ready-made AFL defender, experts have been suggesting that Freo would attempt to snap up the youngster with pick five.

But Naughton, who is born in Victoria, has his sights on Collingwood at pick six.

“For me personally I think Melbourne, being the home of footy and playing for the biggest club in Australia, that'd be the way to go for me,” he said."
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He doesn't want to live in a WA or play at Freo. He said that last year. He said he wanted to get drafted and play for Collingwood.
    Straight swap for Stephenson then - even better.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -