Thanks Thanks:  54
Likes Likes:  164
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Aaron Naughton

Aren't one-year extensions in the first year of a two-year deal standard practice for players we rate?

This is very encouraging.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Plus why would we commit beyond 2020 with a current 18 year old kid. Who knows what happens in 2.5 years time.
    I guess Richards thinks otherwise.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I guess Richards thinks otherwise.
    Forgot about that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Aren't one-year extensions in the first year of a two-year deal standard practice for players we rate?

This is very encouraging.
    Richards signed for 2. I remember English signing for 2. I'd have to go back and have a look what our others have signed for but think most were 2 year extensions.

Post Thanks / Like

The Bont has hit the nail on the head, Naughton is a natural footballer.

I wonder if he stays forward this week or goes back again?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The Bont has hit the nail on the head, Naughton is a natural footballer.

I wonder if he stays forward this week or goes back again?
    Bont must read my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Suckling is experienced enough to not often get trapped on his right foot. Hopefully it will come with Cordy and Naughton too. Both are fairly natural footballers so it should.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still can't get a rising star nomination. Paddy Dow from Carlton was this rounds nomination. If I'm being cynical I'd suggest it's because he's out for the season and they want to make sure he gets one. Surely Aaron is close.

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaron Naughton is the second most important signature behind Marcus Bontempelli to get.

Hopefully we can extend him again next year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Still can't get a rising star nomination. Paddy Dow from Carlton was this rounds nomination. If I'm being cynical I'd suggest it's because he's out for the season and they want to make sure he gets one. Surely Aaron is close.
    Fully agree, he's played better football than Dow all season and should have had a nomination
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Fully agree, he's played better football than Dow all season and should have had a nomination
    I'm also impatiently waiting for English to return so that he can get the nomination he earned before he was injured as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Aaron Naughton is the second most important signature behind Marcus Bontempelli to get.

Hopefully we can extend him again next year.
    Toby McLean, I'm a huge fan.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Toby McLean, I'm a huge fan.
    Danger of taking the thread off track but good call. He just keeps improving year on year, week by week, game by game.

He has that hard edge with a mix of skill.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs' 'shock' move isn't for nought

AARON Naughton was left stunned when thrown forward by the versatility-demanding Luke Beveridge in recent weeks, but the impressive Western Bulldogs draftee is embracing the challenge.

Naughton has spent most of his career playing as an intercepting key defender, and made his debut for the Bulldogs in that role in round one.

An ankle injury in round eight ended his eye-catching stint down back, because when he returned from a month on the sidelines, Beveridge had other ideas for the 18-year-old.

"I wasn't too sure what was going to happen when I can back from the injury, but I was shocked when I was pushed forward in a drill at training," Naughton told AFL.com.au.

"I thought I was just making up the numbers, and then after training Bevo told me I would be playing forward.
    "He said I just needed to provide a contest, bring my work rate and try and take a few marks.
    "It's a new role, but very exciting and I'm learning a lot.

"I played more games a defender thus far in my career, so I'll have to wait a while until I can class myself as a key forward."

A two-goal haul in round 14 against North Melbourne was encouraging, and the experiment has also coincided with customary stopper Zaine Cordy reprising a role in attack he performed so importantly during the club's premiership season of 2016.

The successful return of key defenders Dale Morris and Marcus Adams from injury is likely see Beveridge persist with the duo in attack.

Kicking was one of the few question marks over Naughton heading into last year's NAB AFL Draft, but the perceived flaw didn't stop the Dogs from pouncing on the West Australian with pick nine.

Plenty of time on the training track with development manager Rohan Smith has paid dividends, with a once wonky ball drop now more refined.

"My kicking was the main knock on me coming into the draft, and it was something I needed to improve on a bit, but I think the standard of training here at the Dogs has improved it," Naughton said.

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Team of the Week nod for Naughts

A team-high 10 one-percenters against Melbourne on Saturday has earnt first year defender Aaron Naughton his first ever selection in the AFL’s Official Player Ratings team of the week.

In his 12th career game after being taken with the Bulldogs’ first pick in the 2017 NAB AFL National Draft, Naughton began the game forward before being switched down back in the second half.

He collected a career-high 18 disposals, took four marks and provided drive out of the backline with four rebound 50s in the 50-point loss.

The Official AFL Player Ratings (OAPR) are calculated differently to AFL Fantasy scores.

Whereas AFL Fantasy scores take into account how many times a player receives and disposes of the ball, how many scores he registers and whether he wins or gives away free kicks, OAPR consider a whole range of other factors.

These include where the player was on the field when he received the ball, whether the player was under pressure and whether his disposal advantaged his team or led to a score.

19. Thanks Bulldog4life, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, Eastdog, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After all that and still no rising star nom