Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Change/accountability/who knows best etc

I don't know what to title this thread, but been having a few thoughts that kind of fit under the same banner.

Looks like we will be changing a few things:
    - two assistants with at least one of the replacements being senior/experienced
    - possibly one of our assistants moving into a development role and another change to our development coaches
    - our fitness guy changing
    - feels like a significant shift away from how much power Bevo has over the coaching team, in how it's being formed at least

Feels like a lot of fans think it's not enough change. I think it's clearly a lot of change but how much change doesn't really matter, the right change does. lot of fans

Ultimately it feels like a lot of fans don't have trust in the club. If that's the case and fans are correct, Bevo isn't the problem, it runs a lot deeper.

I see a lot of talking in absolutes about Grant/Baines/Bevo. That they have to go. Not being facetious here. Do fans that believe either of these guys have to go ultimately think they know best/better than the people in charge?

I struggle with speaking in absolutes. That includes fully support of Bevo and co. If you are absolutely wanting Bevo or whoever to go, do you believe you know what's best? Do you think the people are the top are completely inept?

2. Thanks josie, GVGjr, Twodogs, Eastdog, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, lemmon, Sedat, macca, Axe Man, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Change/accountability/who knows best etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I struggle with speaking in absolutes.
    From the top of your post, I totally feel the same.

I certainly can't talk in absolutes. I don't have a wide circle of Dogs friends in Perth but the general vibe is 'The coach must go'. I'm not there on the 'MUST' but I am officially worried that if we don't start well in 2024 'everyone' is coming for us.

That makes footy very UN-FUN.

I'm seriously hoping for a speed-bump free trade period...a controversial trade request (yep, that's your music Bazza!) would send people into a frenzy.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice thread.

I think a few have mentioned that we have to back the club to make the right calls. It's all we can do as fans. If they fail in actioning the right change, they'll end up wearing it heavily next year.

I think the mistrust from fans comes from the fact that many of us saw all our issues at least 12 months ago and it appears (at least from the outside) that nothing was seriously done inside the club to address them and we've all had to consequently sit through the same garbage for another season. That brings about the absolutes of sack Bevo, Grant etc.

I'm not exactly one of those who wants to see Bevo or Grant gone no matter what. I just want change or a shift in thinking. In our gameplan. The way we use our players. We desperately need fresh ideas. If Bevo is capable of delivering that then fine. I of course have to trust those that know to make the right calls. Time will tell ultimately.

5. Likes Sedat, josie, macca, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not trying to have a go at those demanding specific change. I feel the same towards fans who 100% defend the club. Basically, I don't have enough information to be so sure that I want certain people gone. I definitely feel we need change but I do not have the expertise/knowledge/information to be absolute on any of it. And if I truly believed I knew so specifically what was wrong and how to solve it, I'd be demanding a massive overhaul of the board. Well if I was 100% I was right, I'd be hounding the club every day ha!

7. Likes hujsh, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Nice thread.

I think a few have mentioned that we have to back the club to make the right calls. It's all we can do as fans. If they fail in actioning the right change, they'll end up wearing it heavily next year.

I think the mistrust from fans comes from the fact that many of us saw all our issues at least 12 months ago and it appears (at least from the outside) that nothing was seriously done inside the club to address them and we've all had to consequently sit through the same garbage for another season. That brings about the absolutes of sack Bevo, Grant etc.

I'm not exactly one of those who wants to see Bevo or Grant gone no matter what. I just want change or a shift in thinking. In our gameplan. The way we use our players. We desperately need fresh ideas. If Bevo is capable of delivering that then fine. I of course have to trust those that know to make the right calls. Time will tell ultimately.
    Well put.

Let me say, I have a lot of mistrust in the club at the moment. I just don't know what is wrong. Maybe the assistants are absolutely awful. Maybe the assistants are really good and just scapegoats and it'll get worse. I remember plenty of fans happy to see Hansen and King leave as assistants. Maybe Baines and KWW are absolutely crushing it with the off field stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago, on this very forum we had WOOFERs complaining we never change assistants and King, and Hansen were not strong enough, been there too long etc and we had to get new better senior assistants. Woofers were saying no one challenges Bevo etc, etc. Yet as soon as these guys left, we hear that King was the guy challenging Bevo, and we should never have let these two guys go and blame the club.

I feel the same is being said about Bains and Grant, yet 03 one really knows how well they function in their role. We know from the outside looking in that Bains has done an incredible job with Admin and the redevelopment of the VU Whitten Oval - the funding alone of around $70 million is not easy to put together. Internally, how he or Grant operates is a guess, as is Bevo's style.

If we keep losing next year and supporters carry on the way they do, I am out of here and any social media - because as MJP says - it won't be fun.

Not sure I answered the OP - just my two cents worth but for what it's worth, like everyone, I am disappointed we aren't playing this week.

Edit: Wrote this and posted before seeing Rocco's post.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes josie, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well put.

Let me say, I have a lot of mistrust in the club at the moment. I just don't know what is wrong. Maybe the assistants are absolutely awful. Maybe the assistants are really good and just scapegoats and it'll get worse. I remember plenty of fans happy to see Hansen and King leave as assistants. Maybe Baines and KWW are absolutely crushing it with the off field stuff.
    Yes I certainly don't have a lot of faith in the club right now. We've been stagnant for a long while and haven't appeared to be serious about striving for internally set goals. But as you say, we have no idea what's going on behind doors so we just have to trust (or is it hope?) that the club has now realised the situation it's actually in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    A few years ago, on this very forum we had WOOFERs complaining we never change assistants and King, and Hansen were not strong enough, been there too long etc and we had to get new better senior assistants. Woofers were saying no one challenges Bevo etc, etc. Yet as soon as these guys left, we hear that King was the guy challenging Bevo, and we should never have let these two guys go and blame the club.

I feel the same is being said about Bains and Grant, yet 03 one really knows how well they function in their role. We know from the outside looking in that Bains has done an incredible job with Admin and the redevelopment of the VU Whitten Oval - the funding alone of around $70 million is not easy to put together. Internally, how he or Grant operates is a guess, as is Bevo's style.

If we keep losing next year and supporters carry on the way they do, I am out of here and any social media - because as MJP says - it won't be fun.

Not sure I answered the OP - just my two cents worth but for what it's worth, like everyone, I am disappointed we aren't playing this week.
    Totally agree re the assistants coaches although it was strange to replace 2 experienced assistants with 2 in experienced ones. But it's another reason why the proverbial will hit the fan if that again is the only change we make this off-season.

The rumours about appointing Dew or someone more senior is interesting given many have been calling for such an appointment for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think that if you want to change the coach or the footy department or whatever then you have to have a succession plan.

Take Bevo. If you want to sack him then who do we replace him with? Are you happy to take the risk of watching him go to another club and see him coach multiple premierships just because they were capable of supporting him properly while we weren't? From what I see there really isn't an upgrade out there and Bevo is contracted for two more years. Yes he can be frustrating but sometimes that's part of the package that makes him a great coach.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

14. Likes bornadog, bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Personally I think that if you want to change the coach or the footy department or whatever then you have to have a succession plan.

Take Bevo. If you want to sack him then who do we replace him with? Are you happy to take the risk of watching him go to another club and see him coach multiple premierships just because they were capable of supporting him properly while we weren't? From what I see there really isn't an upgrade out there and Bevo is contracted for two more years. Yes he can be frustrating but sometimes that's part of the package that makes him a great coach.
    Agree with this although we started the review mid season so Hardwick, though unlikely, could have been an option.

I do agree Bevo has earnt the right to have the time to prove himself once more. I just wish he was challenged and supported a year earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

It is very difficult to know what is going on inside but what I do know is that we need some fresh ideas.

Bevo will be staying but change around him needs to happen that best support him. A change in game plan this off-season would be very good.

Would love to play the way Richmond has in recent years which has been hugely successful in them getting multiple premierships and currently how Collingwood plays. Easier said than done of course and you need a strong fitness base and the right players to do it.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I get it, but the reason people wanted new ACs was because the side had clear deficiencies that appeared to be continually getting overlooked, and the most effective way people could see to change the way those decisions were made was to change coaches.

I'm not sure saying these people were wrong when we lost (as in we didn't let these guys go, they chose to go) these coaches and replaced them with inexperienced guys late in the year is fair.

Besides to me as we were then we are ultimately still just trying to fix Bevo without firing him.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    It is very difficult to know what is going on inside but what I do know is that we need some fresh ideas.

Bevo will be staying but change around him needs to happen that best support him. A change in game plan this off-season would be very good.
    Totally agree. I guess the point I'm trying to get at is we don't need inside info to know something is wrong. I am sure something is wrong. Just that it is impossible to be absolute in assessing exactly what is/who are in the wrong.

I think a massive part of the temptation in demanding/being sure it's Bevo/Baines/Grant is the quick fix. Get rid of 1-3 guys and we are golden.

19. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree. I guess the point I'm trying to get at is we don't need inside info to know something is wrong. I am sure something is wrong. Just that it is impossible to be absolute in assessing exactly what is/who are in the wrong.

I think a massive part of the temptation in demanding/being sure it's Bevo/Baines/Grant is the quick fix. Get rid of 1-3 guys and we are golden.
    I guess getting rid of 1-3 guys means we can at least rule out who is or isn't the problem. The impact at that level is far greater. Getting rid of a high % of the playing list isn't as practical to see if it's the players fault. (I'm not suggesting this method is effective, just the potential source of people's thinking).

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t had much bandwidth to think about it over the last few weeks, however I think the internal review outcomes are kept under wraps because so many are staying on. There is no scapegoat. Everyone has an ego/pride (not saying this in a negative context) so completing a review, providing feedback and then making changes to roles / responsibilities / structures is happening.

This is I think what many are finding frustrating. We want some specificity about why things didn’t click this year and we’re not going to get it.

Bring on 2024 I say. A lot of clubs are improving and making ground. It’s not going to be easy to climb back into the 8, but some tweaks to our training and conditioning, some tweaks to our game plan, the message, our personnel both on and off field. A wise man on this site once said things can change quickly in football. Let’s hope that is true for us.

22. Likes josie, hujsh liked this post