Thanks Thanks:  54
Likes Likes:  164
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Aaron Naughton

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I've always worn a watch. A few months back I broke my arm, had to have surgery to insert plates and the surgery caused nerve damage which has left some numbness in my forearm/wrist/hand/thumb (the surgeon assures me it will all repair itself with 12 months).

Since then I can't stand to wear a watch. Hopefully when normal sensation returns I can wear one again.
    I think that I was always worried about losing the bloody thing. I don't wear jewellery for the same reason.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

How the AstroNaught can launch into superstardom

WESTERN Bulldogs swingman Aaron Naughton put some of the competition's best defences on notice last year, but his journey towards becoming one of the best forwards in the League is only in its infancy.

The 20-year-old finished with 53 contested marks for the year, trailing only Richmond star Tom Lynch.

Naughton's nine contested marks against the Tigers in round seven fell just one short of levelling North Melbourne great Wayne Carey's record for the most contested marks in a game.

The signs are there that he can become a special player, but Naughton knows he's got a few things to work on to get to the next level.

"It's more of my running patterns and timing of leads and repositioning are probably the little things that are going to help me going forward next year," Naughton said.

Forwards coach Ashley Hansen is charged with teaching Naughton the nuances of forward craft, with a focus on figuring out how to exploit each different defensive set up.

"The growth for this year is building on that game sense and in-match awareness to be able to apply different leading patterns and different craft for different defenders because sometimes you're double teamed," Hansen said.

"Different defenders do different things so to be able to negate that, it's probably going to be where he's going to take his game to the next level."

The two main defensive strategies at a basic level are categorised as either 'assertive' or 'back-shoulder'.

Some clubs will use different terms for that, but essentially assertive defences play in front of the forwards and will try and read the play and cut off the forwards' space to lead into.

Assertive defences are team-oriented and rely on switching opponents and guarding space. It's a tactic used by many clubs with mobile, intercepting defenders, but it relies on trust and communication between teammates.

Back-shoulder means the defender lines up just behind the forward's shoulder. It's more individual-based and means defenders are less likely to get beaten out the back, but it leaves plenty of space for the forwards to lead up into.

It's no surprise that two of Naughton's better games came against two of the League's best assertive defences in Geelong and Richmond.

After all, the Bulldogs employ the same strategy in the backline.

In the clip below, Naughton breaks down exactly how he gets an advantage against an assertive defence.

In the first instance, Naughton works up behind Blicavs to throw the Cats defender off before tracking back with the flight.

In the second play he curves his lead just after Blicavs turns his head.

Naughton is clearly advanced in a lot of areas already, but in terms of his forward craft development, the Bulldogs kept the messaging really simple.

The key forward admits he hasn't watched a lot of game tape, but Naughton has already discussed ramping that up with Hansen heading into the 2020 season.

The Bulldogs are keen to embrace Naughton as his own player, and as such the film room focus won't be on what other star key forwards do really well, but more about his own game and how he can exploit different defenders.

One area of the forward's game that could be improved with some film study is breaking down where the faults come into Naughton's usually sound goalkicking routine when he takes relatively straightforward set shots.

Eleven of Naughton's 23 behinds were kicked from 15 to 40 metres out on angles that weren't too tight.

*Set shot chart supplied by Champion Data

Additionally, 74 per cent of the behinds Naughton kicked from set shots in 2019 faded to the left.

Naughton admits he really should be nailing those set shots, but it's not a case of the yips or dealing with fatigue.

"It was probably just not getting enough momentum through the footy, sort of poking at them a little bit and skewing them to either side of the goals," Naughton said.

"There's certainly entrenching his routine in his set shot goal kicking," Hansen said.

"Making sure that every shot is consistent and looking like the one that he does nail it, that's going to be really important. When he goes away from that, that's when there's a flaw in his technique which is exposed on those shots."

Hansen is confident Naughton will be able to improve on that and won't miss those goals when it really counts.

"He likes the big moments, he's going to embrace it," the coach said.

It would be unfair to expect Naughton to follow on with his development instantly this year, as he's spent the vast majority of the pre-season with the rehabilitation group.

Naughton sustained lateral ligament damage to his left knee in the elimination final against Greater Western Sydney, but he's recently returned to full training and remains confident of playing in round one.
    "From the incident to be where he's at, it really is a blessing because it could have been a lot worse," Hansen said of Naughton's injury.

"It certainly looks like he's got his straight-line speed and spring from the non-contact drills that he's been doing.

"That's going to increase over the coming weeks with the game-based non-scripted drills, he'll be able to ramp up the change of direction and agility and contact."

Once Naughton returns, not only will he have to get used to his knee, but also a completely different forward line structure.

Josh Bruce's arrival from St Kilda has been a positive for Naughton so far.

"Having Josh Bruce – I've been watching a little bit of his match sim and we're two pretty similar players. Both tall forwards, left footed, like to take contested marks. To be able to watch him, his patterns are really good," Naughton said of his new teammate.

"It's been nice even though I'm not out there to still pick up the way that he's moving, so hopefully when I'm back out there we'll be able to work really well together."

Hansen says it won't be a 'prescribed' plan, but expect to see Josh Schache and Bruce play closer to goal on occasions, with Naughton a little higher up the field.

The Bulldogs were pleased with Naughton's development as a link up forward, and that position could see him start to find more of the football every week.

"He also started to improve his positioning with getting more marks on the lead between the arcs. That also got him into the game and allowed us to move the ball out of our back half really well," Hansen said.

"He wasn't always just tied to the goalsquare or the 50-metre arc which I think supported his influence on the game and gave him the freedom to run a little bit."

Naughton has no doubts that the three-headed attack can work, and with a greater understanding of forward craft and improving his set shot accuracy from shorter distances, Naughton can truly thrive in the forward line.

"I don't want to put a ceiling on it, I don't want to have an end goal and hit it and be like yeah I'm done," Naughton said of his potential.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Some high praise from Steven May on SEN:

“I would say the best young, hard player to play on is probably Aaron Naughton.

“Just purely because the umpires are really hot on holding, but if you let him run and jump, good luck. He can fly over a pack.”
    Link

4. Thanks azabob, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to get him a decent forward, even Tom Lynch would do. This is what next year looks like with just tinkering Hannan & English around. Not good.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Also, at what point does his inability to kick easy goals factor into things. His job is to kick goals and he misses way too often, often from bloody easy shots.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He needs to have some of the kinks in his technique ironed out so it's more consistent. When he hits them well he looks really good and they penetrate and go dead straight, but because of the complicated nature of his action there's too much margin for error.

Something to work on in preseason. He's too valuable to us forward to not persist.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He needs to have some of the kinks in his technique ironed out so it's more consistent. When he hits them well he looks really good and they penetrate and go dead straight, but because of the complicated nature of his action there's too much margin for error.

Something to work on in preseason. He's too valuable to us forward to not persist.
    It’s something to work on for sure, but will he? He hasn’t yet so I’m not convinced he will.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We need to get him a decent forward, even Tom Lynch would do. This is what next year looks like with just tinkering Hannan & English around. Not good.
    We don't need a Tom Lynch - big no for me. He will be just another Hannan who we also don't need.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We don't need a Tom Lynch - big no for me. He will be just another Hannan who we also don't need.
    He’s not the messiah, he’s a cheap one year insurance policy. Who has done infinitely more than Hannan. Who I agree with you, we don’t need.

Post Thanks / Like

Highlights 2021

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Thanks SquirrelGrip, Smads57, Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs.

Average Contested Marks per game. (Minimum 30 games).

Naughton 2.1
    Jones 1.6
    Grant 1.5
    Darcy 1.4
    Lake 1.2
    English 1.2
    Roughead 1.1

Naughton is in a league of his own.

14. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, bulldogtragic, 1eyedog, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Western Bulldogs.

Average Contested Marks per game. (Minimum 30 games).

Naughton 2.1
    Jones 1.6
    Grant 1.5
    Darcy 1.4
    Lake 1.2
    English 1.2
    Roughead 1.1

Naughton is in a league of his own.
    It is fantastic that he can do this, but I would love a game plan that improved his chances further.

It would help a lot if less of the contests were with his team mates and all of their opponents.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

16. Likes derb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    It is fantastic that he can do this, but I would love a game plan that improved his chances further.

It would help a lot if less of the contests were with his team mates and all of their opponents.
    The one issue I have with Naughton is he doesn't lead enough and prefers to rely too much on his contested marking. Hanging around your opponent is not the way to go.

18. Likes derb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our ball carriers need to lower eyes and start using other options regularly and Naughton won't be crowded to the extent he is as often as he is.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The one issue I have with Naughton is he doesn't lead enough and prefers to rely too much on his contested marking. Hanging around your opponent is not the way to go.
    Agree. When he has been quiet (against better teams such as from memory Melbourne/May, Geelong/De Koening) he needs to lead more and our players delivering into F50 need to kick lower, more bullet like/less long bombs.

21. Likes bornadog liked this post