Likes Likes:  164
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Aaron Naughton

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    We would have known that if you had used an emoji

No worries Jasper
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

CORNES CALLS OUT NAUGHTON FOR NOT MATCHING HIGH EXPECTATIONS WITH STAR OUTPUT

Kane Cornes has called on Aaron Naughton to take the next step in 2024.

Naughton finished the 2023 season with 44 goals from 23 games, less than his totals of 51 in 2022 and 47 in 2021.

While Naughton has the reputation as one of the competition?s best forwards, Cornes believes his performances don?t stand up to that tag.

Cornes listed several players who kicked more goals than the Bulldog in 2023 and put him in the gun this off-season.

?It's a bit of a fallout from the season and I've got your man and you've been big on this all year. Aaron Naughton is in the gun,? Cornes said on SEN Breakfast.

?I think his reputation far exceeds his performance, Aaron Naughton.

?These are the players that have kicked more goals than Aaron Naughton this year.

?Charlie Curnow, Taylor Walker, Nick Larkey, Toby Greene, Oscar Allen, Charlie Cameron, Jeremey Cameron, Joe Daniher, Kyle Langford, Tom Hawkins, Luke Breust and Brody Mihocek.

?Jye Amiss kicked three less than Naughton, Ollie Henry kicked three less than him.

?Ben King missed a lot of footy, but he kicked 40. Aaron Naughton kicked 44.?

While Charlie Curnow stands above all other key forwards at the moment with back-to-back Coleman Medals to his name, Cornes believes Naughton has the ability to match him in 2024.

The former Port Adelaide star urged Naughton to kick 70 goals next campaign and meet the high expectations set for him.

?If Curnow kicks 78, Naughton has every bit the amount of ability that Curnow has or near enough to that athletically,? Cornes said.

?He (Curnow) nearly kicked double the number of goals compared to him.

?Aaron Naughton is in the gun. He needs to come out next year and target 70 goals.

?Kicking 44 and taking one or two contested marks a game is not enough for a player with that much ability.?

Naughton has played 123 games for the Bulldogs since being taken with pick No. 9 in the 2017 Draft

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog Tragic is now ghost writing for old Cane Kornes
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Defender.

Post Thanks / Like

I do think Naughton didn't quite measure up to previous standards and he will need to do better next year but I wonder if it's somewhat offset by Marra's arrival as a genuine marking target and of course Lobb?

If he can improve his set shot goal kicking he can be at least a 50 goal per season forward.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes azabob, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I do think Naughton didn't quite measure up to previous standards and he will need to do better next year but I wonder if it's somewhat offset by Marra's arrival as a genuine marking target and of course Lobb?

If he can improve his set shot goal kicking he can be at least a 50 goal per season forward.
    It also doesn't help that our ball movement and delivery inside 50 is putrid. It's not as simple as Naughton is as good as Curnow therefore should be kicking the same number of goals. Cornes should know better although I do agree that Aaron was disappointing this season.

8. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    It also doesn't help that our ball movement and delivery inside 50 is putrid. It's not as simple as Naughton is as good as Curnow therefore should be kicking the same number of goals. Cornes should know better although I do agree that Aaron was disappointing this season.
    Curnow is a natural forward, and a far better kick.

Naughts is v good but Curnow is next level.

10. Likes angelopetraglia, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Curnow is a natural forward, and a far better kick.

Naughts is v good but Curnow is next level.
    Curnow's positoning in 1:1s is far superior to Charlie. Naughton is probably a better contested mark when he gets a run at it.

The biggest difference is definitely kicking. Curnow has a beautiful natural fluent action. He can wheel around from 55m on one step and put it through post high. Naughton isn't in the same post code at that skill.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Naughton was a bit underwhelming this year compared to his previous seasons particularly in relation to his contested marking.

However, whilst his goal average was down, his averages for goal assists, tackles and one percenters were all well up so overall I would not fault his effort, though I was disappointed with a few of his games.

Post Thanks / Like

Curnow kicked 78.41 66% conversion

Naughton kicked 44.33 57% conversion

Post Thanks / Like

2023 v 2022 (Better formatting here https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=P&fopt2=2022)

23 Games 22
    7.8 Kicks 8.1
    3.8 Handballs 3.5
    11.6 Disposals 11.6
    4.3 Marks 4.7
    1.9 Goals 2.3
    1.4 Behinds 1.6
    2.6 Tackles 2.1
    1.0 Hitouts 0.9
    1.9 Inside 50s 2.0
    1.0 Goal Assists 0.6
    1.3 Frees For 1.2
    0.9 Frees Against 0.5
    6.8 Contested Possessions 6.4
    5.1 Uncontested Possessions 5.2
    7.4 Effective Disposals 7.7
    63.8% Disposal Efficiency % 66.4%
    2.4 Clangers 2.4
    1.8 Contested Marks 1.9
    2.5 Marks Inside 50 2.3
    0.2 Clearances 0.5
    0.2 Rebound 50s 0
    2.2 One Percenters 1.2
    0 Bounces 0
    86.4 Time On Ground % 85.9
    0 Centre Clearances 0
    0.2 Stoppage Clearances 0.5
    6.3 Score Involvements 6.2
    204.3 Metres Gained 200.2
    2.6 Turnovers 2.2
    0.8 Intercepts 0.8
    1.4 Tackles Inside 50 1.6
    66.9 AFL Fantasy Score 70.2
    75.1 Supercoach Score 78.1

Post Thanks / Like

Quick summary.

Disposals the same. Less marks. Less goals. More tackles. Almost double goal assists. More marks inside 50m. Almost double the one percenters

So he was much better at creating goals for others and put a lot more pressure on with more tackles and more one percetners.

16. Thanks Grantysghost, josie, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Curnow kicked 78.41 66% conversion

Naughton kicked 44.33 57% conversion
    Actually:

Curnow 78.41 from 127 shots on goal @ 61.4% (plus 18 goal assists)

Naughton 44.33 from 88 shots on goal @ 50% (plus 22 goal assists)

Curnow has improved his accuracy this year (54.7% last year) whilst Naughton was slightly down (52.6% last year). Naughts maybe just below the mark for key forwards but not as bad as people make out.

I don't think Naughton should be judged solely on goals kicked. I don't think he needs to kick +70 either. 50-60 as part of a well functioning forward line will be fine if he's doing the other things he's so good at.

18. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know who I’d rather in the RWB, and it ain’t Naughton.well not in the fwd line anyway.

And this is based more so on goal kicking accuracy and that curnow is a natural fwd which we severely lack.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Agreed. The number of times the ball was kicked on top of his head when he had space in front of him was frustrating. We've never had a key forward who works as hard as Astro does when he doesn't have the ball. Lots of repeat leads and efforts. Goal kicking an issue. Still only 23.

21. Likes josie liked this post