Thanks Thanks:  54
Likes Likes:  164
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Aaron Naughton

afl.com.au

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' top two draft picks are hoping to help the 2016 premiers shore up their defence next season.

The Dogs selected key position prospect Aaron Naughton with pick no.9 and running half-back Ed Richards with pick no.16 at the NAB AFL Draft, and given both areas were in need of a restock, they loom as handy additions.

With club greats Bob Murphy and Matthew Boyd retiring at the end of last season, and Marcus Adams, Zaine Cordy, Fletcher Roberts and Kieran Collins struggling to support Dale Morris and Easton Wood in the back half in 2017 thanks to a mixture of injuries and form, the Bulldogs will benefit form the arrival of two elite youngsters.

Naughton will link up with former WA teammate Tim English, the Dogs' top pick at last year's draft, at the Kennel.

He told AFL.com.au on Saturday that gaining senior experience last season with Peel Thunder, Fremantle's host club in the WAFL, will help him make an impact next year.

"I felt confident in my ability to match it with the bigger bodies in the WAFL, and playing alongside some of the Freo Dockers boys really helped me," he said.

"I've still got a lot of developing to do, but I can't wait to get started.

"It's unreal to be picked by such a successful club, and to be in Melbourne playing footy in the coming years is a great opportunity."

AFL.com.au draft expert Callum Twomey described Richards as having "class, pace and pizzazz off half-back with his ball use and creativity", but the 18-year-old said he doesn't see himself as a replacement for Murphy or Boyd – not straight away, in any case.

"Those two have left some pretty big shoes to fill so I'll just have to wait and see how next year progresses," Richards said.

"Hopefully I can slot in across half-back, and I'll definitely be aiming to crack into the senior side in my first season, but there's so much hard work to do before that happens."

The grandson of Collingwood legend Ron Richards, and the grand-nephew of Hall of Fame Magpie Lou, the dashing redhead laughed off any family concerns that he didn't join the black and whites.

"We're all just stoked that I'm able to stay in Melbourne, and I'm not sure Collingwood were ever really that keen on me anyway," he said
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

After potting his kicking earlier, I might add his competitiveness doesn't look like it'll ever be questioned. Tick.

He also has Roberts' height/frame but is considerably more mobile (and competitive). Tick.

Looks to have the makings of a guy who can play on a variety of mid-tall opponents. Tick, especially for Bevo.

Some polishing to do but he looks a valuable piece of the puzzle.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    afl.com.au

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' top two draft picks are hoping to help the 2016 premiers shore up their defence next season.
    What absolute rubbish, are we going to rely on two 18 year olds. Who writes this stuff.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What absolute rubbish, are we going to rely on two 18 year olds. Who writes this stuff.
    It says the draft picks are hoping to help next year. I'd be disappointed if they weren't

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It says the draft picks are hoping to help next year. I'd be disappointed if they weren't
    Shore up our defence? I don't think so. Trengove and Crozier certainly will, not two 18 year olds

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Are they saying that it's from next season or are you reading that into the comments? They will play some senior football but they aren't ready to play 22 games and nor do we have the spots for them just yet.

I didn't think they are necessarily referring to next season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Shore up our defence? I don't think so. Trengove and Crozier certainly will, not two 18 year olds
    L. Young did it last year. There should be enough motivation for the kids to come in and wanting to help and hope to make an impact. Whether we have some spots for them is remain to be seen.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Are they saying that it's from next season or are you reading that into the comments? They will play some senior football but they aren't ready to play 22 games and nor do we have the spots for them just yet.

Well I read the words" Shore up their defence next season" and took it literally. Why not talk about fom next season, or in future

Post Thanks / Like

Well I read the words" Shore up their defence next season" and took it literally. Why not talk about fom next season, or in future
    We all know they're depth players for next season. The media like to add a bit of mayo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

It couldn't be much more explicit that they meant next season;

Of course it says that Aaron and Ed are the ones hoping to shore up our defence next season not that the club is hoping they can do it. That's OK, Aaron and Ed have just been added to an AFL list. They are more of a chance to shore up our defence than most I guess.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It couldn't be much more explicit that they meant next season;

Of course it says that Aaron and Ed are the ones hoping to shore up our defence next season not that the club is hoping they can do it. That's OK, Aaron and Ed have just been added to an AFL list. They are more of a chance to shore up our defence than most I guess.
    I had a look at the article online and it's missing a leading piece of commentary that says "Long-term Bulldogs draftees are seen as replacement for legends". This is not include when you open the article.

I take it as they are seen as long term replacements but either way it doesn't make a lot of difference because we all know they aren't expected to carry the load in 2018. Perhaps Adam Curley could be more specific but I wouldn't read more into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at Naughty’s video on the club website, I didn’t see a single shot of him kicking the ball!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Looking at Naughty’s video on the club website, I didn’t see a single shot of him kicking the ball!

Scott Wynd kicked the ball once in the last four years of his career. And even then he had to. Rohan Smith found him all alone in the goal square with a beautiful looping handball and there was nobody within 15 metres of him to handball it back to, he simply had to drop the ball on his foot and kick the bloody thing through the goals. He literally had no other choice other than standing there with the ball and waiting to get tackled.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

15. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well...........he reminds me a LOT of Dale Morris.

And Dale Morris even has a similar kicking style.

I was expecting a lot worse (kicking wise) as I prepared to watch his highlights reel.

But he has Dale's low predatory running style, semi hunched over and ready to change direction quickly.
    Runs like a desperate hungry Hyena. Fast, tenacious, relentless but never over committed. Not easy to evade or sidestep.
    (it used to infuriate me how Richard Osborne used to run FLAT OUT in a straight line to tackle someone, he was the easiest person to sidestep in the history of the AFL/VFL)

Now I know I've just watched a carefully selected highlights package. But his kicks look creative and attacking and generally seemed to go where they were intended.

I'll admit when we had pick 9 and Fogarty was still available i was chanting Fogarty, Fogarty, Fogarty to the radio. Was even looking forward to calling him 'The Velvet Fog'. I felt a wave of disappointment wash over me as Naughton's name was called. Was so hoping for an exciting beast to replace 'The Baggage'.

But now, I have to just hope/presume they've made the right call and Naughton becomes a star.

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to believe turns 18 today