Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  81
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Ed Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bailey Williams wasn't a lock in our best 22 12 months ago.
    It seems Ed Richards and JJ are vying for the same position in the back half, the guy who runs the ball from defence and takes an opposition small. Ed's tougher than JJ but JJ has better agility.
    Moving Caleb up field allows us then to have Richards in defence with JJ. Ed has so much upside.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Moving Caleb up field allows us then to have Richards in defence with JJ. Ed has so much upside.
    But he just won AA and our BF from the backline?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    But he just won AA and our BF from the backline?
    Yes, and he is such an offensive threat that let's use him where he can get more of it and enter the forward 50.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Yes, and he is such an offensive threat that let's use him where he can get more of it and enter the forward 50.
    Half Back/Back Pocket is the easiest position on the ground to get a kick, he's not getting more of it moving up the ground. In fact half forward is just about the hardest position on the ground to get the ball.

I'm sure Daniel would be useful up the ground but I don't think he's a wingman and he will struggle to have nearly the same influence at half forward. There is also no way Richards is going to come close to replicating Caleb's output in the backline. It's a clear net loss for the team for me. You don't move a guy that is just about league best in his position.

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

SA CLUB ENCOURAGED TO TARGET OFF-CONTRACT BULLDOG

Western Bulldogs speedster Ed Richards has been reportedly identified as a possible trade target for rival clubs.

The Herald Sun understands that Richards, who comes out of contract at the end of the season, could become a player of interest once he returns from an ankle injury.

The report also states that the Bulldogs want to keep the 21-year-old beyond this year.

Since debuting in 2018, Richards has played 58 games at Whitten Oval and has been used in a variety of positions.

Kane Cornes believes Adelaide would be an ideal fit for Richards if he were to explore his options at season’s end.

“Geez Adelaide could use him I reckon, in multiple positions,” he told SEN SA Breakfast.

“I’d be putting a call in 100 per cent if I was Adelaide.

“He fits their rebuild age demographically, plays multiple positions, has speed, he’s tough and he’s got a lot of talent. That’s where I’d be aiming.”

Richards injured his ankle in a VFL practice match in March and is still 4-6 weeks away from a return.

He appeared in 17 games for the Dogs in 2020.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Why didn’t Cornes just say “Richards for McAsey”. You know he wants to. Is that the next ‘scoop’?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It honestly looked like this would be his year. Ideally we play him off the halfback flank and move JJ further up the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    It honestly looked like this would be his year. Ideally we play him off the halfback flank and move JJ further up the ground.
    JJ isn't in our first choice back 7 at the moment. Assuming 2 KPDs (Keath & Gardner/Young) which 2 of the following players make way for Ed: Dale, Daniel, Duryea, Williams, Wood, Crozier? Very tough to squeeze Richards in there at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Why didn’t Cornes just say “Richards for McAsey”. You know he wants to. Is that the next ‘scoop’?
    Would that be a bad deal, I like Ed but another tallish defender would be good.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

News flash from Kane Cornes

ED RICHARDS IS A DECENT PLAYER

In news today Kane Cornes breathlessly pointed out the bleeding obvious. For anyone who hasn't watched any football at all in the last 3 years he made the point that Western Bulldogs player Ed Richards goes alright. At least he didn't go with the tired old trope of linking him with Collingwood where he has family connections.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I think I saw him at the butcher a couple of days ago, but it was at Vic Gardens in Richmond so not sure if it was him.........skinny lad if so.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Would that be a bad deal, I like Ed but another tallish defender would be good.
    If we are interested in McAsey, I can see Adelaide probably wanting a player. Maybe it’s something to debate at a list management meeting especially if we want to use our first rounder.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If we are interested in McAsey, I can see Adelaide probably wanting a player. Maybe it’s something to debate at a list management meeting especially if we want to use our first rounder.
    McAsey is currently toiling away with unimpressive performances at SANFL level. Do we even want him?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    McAsey is currently toiling away with unimpressive performances at SANFL level. Do we even want him?
    I would, at a reasonable price.

Post Thanks / Like

So, Ed is not far away from returning.

After a promising start to his career, where his wheels were on show and his ball use looked sharp, he’s had a couple of years where he has stagnated to the point where he’s probably in the 18-30 range on our list.

What role do we see him playing when he comes back at VFL level and will he make a positive impact in the best 22 this year?

I’d still love to see him on a wing, but might be hard this year given our depth and his fitness levels. Half back we are stocked, albeit if Daniel spends more time up the field maybe there’s a spot. Our forward half could use his pace, but is he able to sacrifice his game and focus hard defensively to take one of those spots?