Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  81
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Ed Richards

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    He has had a ripping year. Maybe a top 5 B&F finish on the cards?
    He's been a very consistent performer and has added something to the back line. For me, probably closer to top 10 but you never know.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Richards on RSN

"I struggled to be that player that was constantly moving around. I wanted to settle down at half-back."

@westernbulldogs
    young star Ed Richards says he asked to be settled after stints on a wing and half-forward. Now in career best form in his natural slot.
    Here is the interview.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=1031092
    More of an In Bruges guy?

3. Thanks Bulldog4life, GVGjr, Smads57 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richards on RSN

"I struggled to be that player that was constantly moving around. I wanted to settle down at half-back."

@westernbulldogs
    young star Ed Richards says he asked to be settled after stints on a wing and half-forward. Now in career best form in his natural slot.
    Fair play to the coaches, they are often pilloried for their play anywhere methodology but here they've listened to the player and it's worked a treat.
    He is really fulfilling the potential we all knew he had. I've loved Ed since his first season when he was tagging around with Billy Gowers at a player sponsors function. I think Bill was teaching him the ropes so he was bringing over to people and introducing him. He was so nervous but with Billy the clown there it was ok He is a good guy Gowers.

5. Likes Mofra, azabob, GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At the end of last year I thought Ed has been a disappointment, wasn't a best 22 player & why did the club hold this kid in such a high regard. Been the most pleasing surprise to see Ed play so well off half back. Gives us something that Daniel & Dale can't bring in daring run. Better in the air than both & i think a better defender as well.
    Also feel that him playing so well back there & having Dale back kind of leaves Daniel out of position down there. Daniel needs a reinvention me thinks.

7. Likes GVGjr, Testekill, bornadog, Scraggers, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    At the end of last year I thought Ed has been a disappointment, wasn't a best 22 player & why did the club hold this kid in such a high regard. Been the most pleasing surprise to see Ed play so well off half back. Gives us something that Daniel & Dale can't bring in daring run. Better in the air than both & i think a better defender as well.
    Also feel that him playing so well back there & having Dale back kind of leaves Daniel out of position down there. Daniel needs a reinvention me thinks.
    We could certainly use Daniel in other areas and next year might be the time to reinvent him into a forward or mid.

Post Thanks / Like

We could certainly use Daniel in other areas and next year might be the time to reinvent him into a forward or mid.
    Daniel is a brilliant inside 50 kick, especially if it's a slow entry. He's our bench utility who can play anywhere
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes Testekill, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see that. He has the skill set to be a goal assist king Caleb. I've even liked seeing Treloar down there of late. He takes the game on more with run.

12. Likes Testekill, Scraggers, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I've even liked seeing Treloar down there of late. He takes the game on more with run.
    Gives away an uncontested mark 20m out from goal every week. We're playing too many rebounders that can't defend. I would send JJ back
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Gives away an uncontested mark 20m out from goal every week. We're playing too many rebounders that can't defend. I would send JJ back
    Why do you think JJ was shifted from defence?

15. Likes azabob, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Maybe I'm misremembering but I recall it being that he was easily tagged out of the game in defence. I don't remember him struggling to defend necessarily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Was it that he couldn’t break a tag, so he became the tagger? Even if he’s tagged again, he can defend better than Daniel & Treloar and Dale & Richards can rebound untagged
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

He was moved forward because we needed pace in that part of the ground and had more creative users behind the ball squeezing him out.

The whole couldn't break a tag thing was overplayed, and not reflected in his Sutton Medal standings when he was still being highly rated by the MC whilst playing defencive half roles.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He was moved forward because we needed pace in that part of the ground and had more creative users behind the ball squeezing him out.

The whole couldn't break a tag thing was overplayed, and not reflected in his Sutton Medal standings when he was still being highly rated by the MC whilst playing defencive half roles.
    JJ's actually done pretty well as a forward and we should remember that he received a couple of dirty tags where his team mates should have done more to help him.

Did we move him forward after we tried Wood there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

I must admit I am quite surprised by this. Finished top 10 in 2017/18/19.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I must admit I am quite surprised by this. Finished top 10 in 2017/18/19.
    I've only posted it 500 times.

But I have a few hobby horses so I can see why I'd be ignored!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.