Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  81
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Ed Richards

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

A return to the back line seems a long way off now given the options we have and I think he needs to be established on the opposite wing to Lachie Hunter.
    I'd like to see Richards and Lipinski interchanging/rotating through that wing/half forward spots - Richards speed and use give him a chance to impact the game in less touches than others, but he does need to accumulate more also.

I think youve outlined the challenges for him, and I'd back him in to be ready to take on the challenge.

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really, really prefer him behind the ball. I know we need help on the second wing but he's either going to be a 'hopefully ok' wingman or an excellent rebounder. Suckling isn't going to play forever, and Wood is getting long in the tooth and with his hammies I can't see him playing well into his 30s.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I'd like to see Richards and Lipinski interchanging/rotating through that wing/half forward spots - Richards speed and use give him a chance to impact the game in less touches than others, but he does need to accumulate more also.

I think youve outlined the challenges for him, and I'd back him in to be ready to take on the challenge.
    Lipinski is an interesting one. I’d like to see him as a perm high half forward who only rotates through the middle when we need it.

6. Likes Testekill, Insufficient Intent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Despite racking up an impressive 41 senior games in his 2 years with us I wonder if 2020 will be a bit more challenging for Richards?

In his first season he was mainly used as a defender and looked right at home but with our gun coach always looking for versatility in players and with a surplus of mid sized defenders in 2019 Richards was used more as a small forward and in the midfield and I think it's fair to say that he had some challenges with that. That's all fine though because most young players will experience some leaner times early in their career.

Going into the 2020 season it seems Richards will need to establish himself in the midfield as available spots up forward are going to be quite scarce but a role in the midfield should suit him perfectly. I've said it before but his best position might be on the opposite wing to Hunter.

Much like in his debut season in 2018 I think Richards best game in the 2019 season was against Collingwood and as the Pies are our our first round opponent this year Richards needs to be in our best 22 come round one, well at least that is my fuzzy logic

What do you see as the main challenge for Richards this year? Can he continue to be a regular senior player and what does he need to improve on?

I'm a big fan of Richards but this might be a testing challenge for him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Despite racking up an impressive 41 senior games in his 2 years with us I wonder if 2020 will be a bit more challenging for Richards?

In his first season he was mainly used as a defender and looked right at home but with our gun coach always looking for versatility in players and with a surplus of mid sized defenders in 2019 Richards was used more as a small forward and in the midfield and I think it's fair to say that he had some challenges with that. That's all fine though because most young players will experience some leaner times early in their career.

Going into the 2020 season it seems Richards will need to establish himself in the midfield as available spots up forward are going to be quite scarce but a role in the midfield should suit him perfectly. I've said it before but his best position might be on the opposite wing to Hunter.

Much like in his debut season in 2018 I think Richards best game in the 2019 season was against Collingwood and as the Pies are our our first round opponent this year Richards needs to be in our best 22 come round one, well at least that is my fuzzy logic

What do you see as the main challenge for Richards this year? Can he continue to be a regular senior player and what does he need to improve on?

I'm a big fan of Richards but this might be a testing challenge for him.
    He definitely has the capacity to be top 22. His pace and skill by foot are both great assets, but he does play a position where we have a surplus of talent. As you say, I think ideally he plays the opposite wing to Hunter. I have to say I haven't taken great notice of his defensive running so not sure where he sits there, but he certainly can be an offensive threat.
    He's getting heat for a lesser 2nd year but I think a lot of people want all players to have a linear progression and it just doesn't happen that often. Players often drop back a little in season 2 for whatever reason. He did also have some moments in his first season where he was moved forward and was effective, so I'm not sure the drop off can be totally put down to him being played out of position. But I'm a big believer in Ed, I think if he can consistently find the football, he can be a big weapon in 2020.

9. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He could be a JJ clone has some dash and maybe better evasive skills than JJ. So I see him off the half back flank but fitting him in is the problem.
    Could you alternate him and JJ off the bench and let them run all day. Although this may not work with the rotations cap in place.
    We appear to be in a very good place at the moment with trying to find spots for players.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Has pace and footskills - that sets him apart from many of our best 22 locks.

I still have question marks over his production forward of the ball. He plays 'ok' on a wing and has his moments as a forward, but he is still clearly better suited to a role behind the ball where we have a surplus of talent.
    Perhaps he starts there for a round or two (while Duryea recovers) which gets his confidence up, then becomes one of those second wing rotations.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richards has now completed 3 seasons with us and despite playing 17 of 18 games for us this year he really hasn't progressed like I think many of us thought he would have. Mofra pointed our before the season got underway that he seems to be better if he was to be played as a defender and I think his best game for us this year as when he was played in the back line

So after 58 games with us is Richards likely to become the type of footballer many of us thought he could be after a highly encouraging first season or is he more likely to be someone who fills in for us in a variety of midfield and forward positions?

His season stats were not impressive for a midfielder/forward averaging just under 11 possessions a game albeit in reduced length of games.
    I wonder if his concussion injury earlier in the year had a lingering impact with him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think if we swapped him with Wood (Wood out of the side) we'd have a better balance. He looked good back there and that second linebreaking option besides JJ would be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Nowhere near becoming the player he looked like he might, but he's tough and willing and I remain hopeful.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I love Ed and really think he's got a high level of ability, but the fact of the matter is that he's gone backwards in consecutive seasons now. Of course he'd look better on a half back flank, literally every player does.

He has the skills and some of the traits to make it as a flanker or a winger, but he also doesn't get the ball without having it given to him nor does he make himself dangerous in space. And there is absolutely no excuse for a player so skillful to miss as many targets as he does.

In sum, I am officially concerned.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I have big concerns. He can't find the ball and his disposal is poor.

Either he makes it as a half back/wing or he doesn't make it IMO.

I'd entertain what offers we could get for him though I do like his pace and ability in 1-v-1s.

Post Thanks / Like

Word on the street is his not happy with where his being played and is looking to swap clubs to somewhere that will play him in his desired position, atleast, according to the trade threads on bigfooty.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

When I gaze with envy upon Port's ability to develop and integrate their kids as best-22 types who can positively influence games, then look back at ours before getting the shits, I'm afraid Ed's Exhibit A.

There's a Heeney-esque star somewhere in there I reckon, but have zero faith he'll get near it under our tutelage and lest we fix that his best value to us may well be as bait.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    When I gaze with envy upon Port's ability to develop and integrate their kids a-22 types who can positively influence games, then look back at ours before getting the shits, I'm afraid Ed's Exhibit A.

There's a Heeney-esque star somewhere in there I reckon, but have zero faith he'll get near it under our tutelage and lest we fix that his best value to us may well be as bait.
    I have watched our coaches get blamed for many things I disagree with this week on several threads but I can’t let this one slide.

Richards just isn’t very good at this stage and HE needs to address some major flaws in his game. Of course our development should be doing this as well but you can guarantee these parts of his game are being worked on.

He needs to not pick and choose when he bodylines the ball and he needs to use the ball with more composure. The tendency to drop his kicks short or shank kicks at full pace was there when we drafted him.

Comparing him to Duursma, Rozee and Butters who were taken in a stronger draft shouldn’t reflect poorly on our coaches. If it does then you would have to give them credit for Smith, Naughton and Dunkley?

The only thing I will say is that he is far better suited to half back or even around the ball than a wing or forward. Not sure you can hold this against the coaching team though because this applies to most players and we can’t play them all there.