Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  81
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Ed Richards

He played defence this hyear before getting injured I believe (small sample size I know and this was also before the emergency of Dale).

I would still be open to that. As to whether or not it's worth doing that when there aren't any spots available, we have shown of late a propensity to push Daniel into other spots around the ground (forward against Calrton, Mid against Freo) and Richards has also played those roles before, so we could see him basically share that role with Daniel, where we always have one in defence and the other wherever else we deem it necessary.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

2. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    So, Ed is not far away from returning.

After a promising start to his career, where his wheels were on show and his ball use looked sharp, he’s had a couple of years where he has stagnated to the point where he’s probably in the 18-30 range on our list.

What role do we see him playing when he comes back at VFL level and will he make a positive impact in the best 22 this year?

I’d still love to see him on a wing, but might be hard this year given our depth and his fitness levels. Half back we are stocked, albeit if Daniel spends more time up the field maybe there’s a spot. Our forward half could use his pace, but is he able to sacrifice his game and focus hard defensively to take one of those spots?
    I hope it's wing high half forward. Id like to maximum his speed and running capacity and feel he is a less than reliable kick coming out of defence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I hope it's wing high half forward. Id like to maximum his speed and running capacity and feel he is a less than reliable kick coming out of defence.
    Can you see him taking the role Roarke Smith is currently playing?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Can you see him taking the role Roarke Smith is currently playing?
    It depends on the type of player we want in that position. If we need a defensive minded reliable player to play a more defensive role on a good opposition player we go with Roarke. If we're after more flow and a player who can cover more ground and help our connections maybe we consider Richards. This would likely change on a weekly basis.

What do you think? Can they both play in the same team? Who do you prefer or who else potentially comes out?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the role Roarke plays could be up for grabs (even though he's been really solid), with Richards offering pace as a point of difference. The roles Scott and McNiel, and even JJ play are also opportunities for him.

Some better than decent form at VFL level will see him promoted because the MC thinks he's too good not to be playing.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed Ed taking them on, hopefully he keeps it up.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ed was my highlight from the weekend.

It was probably his most rounded game that I have seen him play.

His disposal efficiency was spot on, he took the game on with his run and carry - especially his pace and he also took some strong marks.

Hopefully this sets his season up.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

His disposal efficiency was spot on, he took the game on with his run and carry - especially his pace and he also took some strong marks.

Agree. Big fan of his game against the bombers. Whose spot has he taken in the side? He’s definitely a defender and I can’t think off the top of my head who is out for him? Crozier?

Post Thanks / Like

He played well in his first season with us as a HBF and after a few years in other roles he has slotted back to his natural position and is performing better.

There was a lot to like about his game on Sunday.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Agree. Big fan of his game against the bombers. Whose spot has he taken in the side? He’s definitely a defender and I can’t think off the top of my head who is out for him? Crozier?
    From memory Williams came in for Crozier.

It will be interesting to see who makes way for Keath when he is fit.

For mine it will have to be Williams or McComb/R.Smith/McNeil. Depending who may mean either Daniel, Williams or Richards is shuffled to a wing / midfield spot.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

His work in the contest is a feature for mine. He’s rarely beaten, can halve contests vs multiple opponents, and is learning to balance his game appropriately with offence / defence.

If he can stay injury free, he’s a best 22 lock now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought his start to the year was poor.

Had a good couple of weeks and looks to have stabilised. Good to see his contest game back and he's using the ball better.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

From memory Williams came in for Crozier.

It will be interesting to see who makes way for Keath when he is fit.

For mine it will have to be Williams or McComb/R.Smith/McNeil. Depending who may mean either Daniel, Williams or Richards is shuffled to a wing / midfield spot.
    I cant see who he is in for as I thought O’Brien was in for Keath - though maybe it’s because Cordy seems to be playing as a swing.

Don’t like Richard’s on the wing, like him less on the forward line. I reckon he might be a one position player - back flank

18. Likes azabob, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I cant see who he is in for as I thought O’Brien was in for Keath - though maybe it’s because Cordy seems to be playing as a swing.

Don’t like Richard’s on the wing, like him less on the forward line. I reckon he might be a one position player - back flank
    Wood & Cordy have been replaced by O'Brien & Richards
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff