Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  81
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Ed Richards

I don't think season-long rankings do him justice, his last month is what brings him into calculations
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ed's footy over the last month has been as good as Bontempelli's was when he first hit the scene. Apart from Brian Royal and Steve Wallis in 1983 and the freakish 16 yo Chris Grant in 1990 and the Bont I can't remember a more accomplished debuts than Ed's.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Ed's footy over the last month has been as good as Bontempelli's was when he first hit the scene. Apart from Brian Royal and Steve Wallis in 1983 and the freakish 16 yo Chris Grant in 1990 and the Bont I can't remember a more accomplished debuts than Ed's.
    Georgiades

*runs*
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Georgiades

*runs*

There are plenty who had great debuts, Ross Christensen, Kieran Macguiness, even Premiership hero Jason Tutt had a debut against Port Adelaide where the ball followed him around. I was more meaning coming into the side and making a difference with a sustained burst of form.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed is on Bob's Freedom in a Cage Podcast released today.

Details here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ed is on Bob's Freedom in a Cage Podcast released today.

Details here
    Interesting when Ed said last year at school footy he kicked 3 goals 18 for the year!
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Interesting when Ed said last year at school footy he kicked 3 goals 18 for the year!

Biased dads goal umpiring probably.

Post Thanks / Like

UNSUNG HEROES — ROUND 21

Western Bulldogs: Ed Richards

The stats may not depict his influence, but Ed Richards’ bravery with ball in hand was pivotal to the Bulldogs’ second-half comeback.

The first-year product only kicked the ball three times out of his 17 disposals, but his dash off half-back broke the game open when the Dogs started their unlikely comeback.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    UNSUNG HEROES — ROUND 21

Western Bulldogs: Ed Richards

The stats may not depict his influence, but Ed Richards’ bravery with ball in hand was pivotal to the Bulldogs’ second-half comeback.

The first-year product only kicked the ball three times out of his 17 disposals, but his dash off half-back broke the game open when the Dogs started their unlikely comeback.
    After looking fatigued the past few weeks Little Red had spark and dash. He will be a joy to watch over the next few years. (Get your mitts off him Eddie, he’s ours.)
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have any guesses where his great kicking from last year has gone? I don't think kicking skills fall under 'second year blues', so I'm confused how his amazing foot skills have seemingly abandoned him thus far.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Anyone have any guesses where his great kicking from last year has gone? I don't think kicking skills fall under 'second year blues', so I'm confused how his amazing foot skills have seemingly abandoned him thus far.
    Maybe I am watching a different game, but last night he ran at 75%DE and zero clangers. Personally, I don't see an issue.

15. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He had one excellent switch yesterday, but has largely been ineffective by foot this year. Not sure if he is playing more midfield time and that's fatiguing him.

I suspect we don't practice our kicking under pressure enough and this is why it breaks down on game day. But I don't watch training so can't really say.

I'm making an assumption that professional players who practice kicking in the right way get better, and professional players who don't stagnate or get worse. We're seeing the latter, it's the only conclusion I can come to.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He had one excellent switch yesterday, but has largely been ineffective by foot this year. Not sure if he is playing more midfield time and that's fatiguing him.

I suspect we don't practice our kicking under pressure enough and this is why it breaks down on game day. But I don't watch training so can't really say. Players who practice kicking in the right way get better. Players who don't stagnate or get worse. We're seeing the latter, it's the only conclusion I can come to.
    Appreciate the insights Mr J, I've personally seen a decline in his kicking because he was a standout last year. And I couldn't conceptualise how he could fall back into the pack of mediocre kicks. Stats can say one thing, but watching the games and seeing the decline says another. I wonder since it was a learned skill, whether it's a matter of additional remedial training, or whether it's a VFL stint thing?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It might also be the case of where he is playing BT. On a half back flank, he can use his run and can pinpoint more just as Daniel has been doing. Mostly, he’s running in straight lines.

When he’s been playing fwd, he’s obviously running to the ball, getting the ball, then having to either stop, swivel, look around, non existent fwd line, or so congested, he’s in a hurry to hit up a target. A lot of his kicks are only going like 20-30 metres, whereas last year in defence, he was pinpointing more 40+ metres kicks, with a more fluent kicking style. Just my opinion.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

20. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My theory is he is getting bad coaching/advice on how to improve his kicking? EVERY player's kicking skills have gone backwards amd it isn't just since Bevo arrived, it goes back to the latter days of Eade. The last time I can remember our players being adequate kicks was in Rocket's first few years, since then its been a pig's breakfast.