Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  81
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Ed Richards

Richards has delivered inside 50 really well which is why I have wanted him to stay in the side despite not getting involved much
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

His kicking isn't worse IMO. He goes for the killer pass which sometimes doesn't come off. Perhaps you're just remembering the good ones from last year and have come to expect that from him because he certainly grubbed his share last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    His kicking isn't worse IMO. He goes for the killer pass which sometimes doesn't come off. Perhaps you're just remembering the good ones from last year and have come to expect that from him because he certainly grubbed his share last year.
    I can't see any difference either.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I've resisted the urge to call for Richard's head. I think he is better in the side than out. Maybe the time will come when someone in the Footscray side is banging down the door to take his place. Maybe Dale/Lippa, but I think he gets another week or 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I've resisted the urge to call for Richard's head. I think he is better in the side than out. Maybe the time will come when someone in the Footscray side is banging down the door to take his place. Maybe Dale/Lippa, but I think he gets another week or 2.
    He's adjusting to a different role and I'm sure he will get there but so far he isn't quite having the same impact as last season.
    He's still getting the ball but things like how a couple of weeks back he ran into an open goal and missed the lot by spraying the kick are taking the shine off his game. I'd be sticking with him for the time being as he has the pace and skill attributes we need

His decision making and skill level was so noticeable last year he probably has a higher level of expectation placed on him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We see Ed’s ceiling as quite high, which only in his second year, reasonably he hasn’t reached. He offers leg speed, which we seriously are lacking in, and whilst he maybe a bit down on where we might’ve hoped he would’ve progressed to early in season 2, he’s not where our main problems lie. I’d only consider managing him through the season, not dropping him per se.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    We see Ed’s ceiling as quite high, which only in his second year, reasonably he hasn’t reached. He offers leg speed, which we seriously are lacking in, and whilst he maybe a bit down on where we might’ve hoped he would’ve progressed to early in season 2, he’s not where our main problems lie. I’d only consider managing him through the season, not dropping him per se.
    He is still only 19 years old and looking like he will play for a long time. I am not expecting too much from him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I'm not sure we've playing him to his strengths. In the forward line he can use his smarts but his other forte is run and carry. I'd play him higher up the ground - I like his potential as a wingman.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Where is Ed Richards at for the 2020 season?

He's already played 41 senior games in his two seasons with us but for some reason I'm not sure he is seen by the MC as a lot more than a spare parts player. Perhaps that is a harsh assessment but you can probably get my point.

Richards had a terrific debut season where he played mainly as a defender but this year he shuffled between midfield and forward duties and seemed to start games on the bench a significant number of times.

A return to the back line seems a long way off now given the options we have and I think he needs to be established on the opposite wing to Lachie Hunter.

Richards is now approaching 50 games of senior football and he should be primed for a big season in 2020.
    He's got great skills and pace although his goal kicking accuracy wasn't flash and his possession count needs to lift if he is played more in the midfield

I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing if he can develop further

10. Thanks Testekill thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richards clearly has talent, but he also has a lot of competition for a spot in the 22.

His pace is something we need. However he needs a big year just to maintain a spot.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Needs to improve his kicking though, when he has the afterburners on. Sprays too many kicks either for goal or to forwards. Has many good attributes and his ground speed stands out in our midfield group. Winger for mine and he should, in his 3rd full season, start to lower his eyes more often and improve his delivery to our forwards. If he does, he will be a valuable weapon.
    If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like a lot of players adapting to the level he struggles with production forward of centre, and seems much more comfortable behind the footy.

This will become easier for him as his tank improves, right now he's probably spending his tickets and more concerned with getting back and not letting the team down rather than pushing forward to create an option. I want him on the wing or at half forward, we need quick players with penetrating kicks delivering to our tall forwards one out, and he's a guy who can do that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Like a lot of players adapting to the level he struggles with production forward of centre, and seems much more comfortable behind the footy.

This will become easier for him as his tank improves, right now he's probably spending his tickets and more concerned with getting back and not letting the team down rather than pushing forward to create an option. I want him on the wing or at half forward, we need quick players with penetrating kicks delivering to our tall forwards one out, and he's a guy who can do that.
    I think that sums up his challenges perfectly. Wing and half forward are his positions going forward and if he can improve his kicking skills including his goal kicking he will be a great player for us.
    We have a number of emerging players on our list and Richards offers us a point of difference with his pace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Where is Ed Richards at for the 2020 season?

He's already played 41 senior games in his two seasons with us but for some reason I'm not sure he is seen by the MC as a lot more than a spare parts player. Perhaps that is a harsh assessment but you can probably get my point.

Richards had a terrific debut season where he played mainly as a defender but this year he shuffled between midfield and forward duties and seemed to start games on the bench a significant number of times.

A return to the back line seems a long way off now given the options we have and I think he needs to be established on the opposite wing to Lachie Hunter.

Richards is now approaching 50 games of senior football and he should be primed for a big season in 2020.
    He's got great skills and pace although his goal kicking accuracy wasn't flash and his possession count needs to lift if he is played more in the midfield

I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing if he can develop further
    Ed looked terrific in his first season as a defender. Struggled to adjust in his second year which is not unusual for a second year player. Good enough to become a regular particularly given his pace which we lack.

Post Thanks / Like

he really did seem to lose that composure and kicking accuracy he had in his first year. I do have a feeling he can be a game winner and with another preseason of fitness and more time to build his composure in pressure his raw talent and speed can shine.

So much potential.