Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  13
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 59 of 59
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    9,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Will this year be the year Porter breaks into the team?

    Has he got the attributes to make it as an AFL player?

    Turns 20 years old today, but I think he is in his make or break year.
    He has the attitude, just not sure where he fits in. I suspect he'll get more VFL midfield time this year
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He has the attitude, just not sure where he fits in. I suspect he'll get more VFL midfield time this year
    I think with the number of mids we have, he may be in trouble by year end, unless he can show something and break into the team.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    4,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Half way through last year Brad Lynch was 2.5 seasons in and most of us would have had him in definite delist territory. Next thing he plays the last 9 games of the year and earns a 2 year contract.

    Things change quickly and Porter is only 1 season in, lets give him a chance.

  4. Likes bulldogtragic, GVGjr liked this post
  5. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern Suburbs
    Posts
    2,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Where do others see Callum’s key tricks coming from i.e the possible areas that will worry opposition coaches?

    With Lynch there was always the potential that his speed, elusiveness and outside ability could damage opponents which he’s now started to show.

    I’m just not sure yet where Callum’s potential hurt factor will come from, something that I’m concerned about with Lukas Webb other than having a decent kick.

  6. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,023
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Will this year be the year Porter breaks into the team?

    Has he got the attributes to make it as an AFL player?

    Turns 20 years old today, but I think he is in his make or break year.
    2019 is his 2nd year with us isn't it? While he might be coming out of contract I'm not sure it should be a make or break season for him. When he was drafted it seems we were a bit surprised he was still available so hopefully it means we are looking at him in the longer term. There might be a few ahead of him but he will probably play a couple of senior games by the end of the season
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  7. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    2019 is his 2nd year with us isn't it? While he might be coming out of contract I'm not sure it should be a make or break season for him. When he was drafted it seems we were a bit surprised he was still available so hopefully it means we are looking at him in the longer term. There might be a few ahead of him but he will probably play a couple of senior games by the end of the season
    How many years to do give a smaller player before figuring out if they're likely to make it or not? If he's not having an impact at VFL level by the end of the year it's probably fair to make the call and move on. If he is but hasn't made his debut it's a year extension at most.

  8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
  9. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,023
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    How many years to do give a smaller player before figuring out if they're likely to make it or not? If he's not having an impact at VFL level by the end of the year it's probably fair to make the call and move on. If he is but hasn't made his debut it's a year extension at most.
    You can do it straight away but how many years did we give the likes of Prudden? Porter got named on an extended bench a couple of times so I think we rate him. As Axe Man pointed out with Lynch, things can change quickly and if I recall correctly Greene was regarded as being under the pump at the same time last year. Two years isn't a long time especially if the attitude of the player is good.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  10. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Fuller, Collins & Hamilton all got more than the two years Porter, of whom is just starting. He's only one game short of their combined tally. Under Bevo I'm not sure we've cut more than maybe a couple after just their rookie contract season/s off the top of my head (Goetz a different case). Happy to see where he is at by year's end, with the knowledge similar players have generally been given a third season to prove themselves.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

  11. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Can't see Porter being a star but he could be a solid mid, he's reasonably agile and evasive. See how he goes
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

    Formerly gogriff

  12. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You can do it straight away but how many years did we give the likes of Prudden? Porter got named on an extended bench a couple of times so I think we rate him. As Axe Man pointed out with Lynch, things can change quickly and if I recall correctly Greene was regarded as being under the pump at the same time last year. Two years isn't a long time especially if the attitude of the player is good.
    I don't see Prudden as an example of effective list management to be honest.

    Last year was Green's second wasn't it? In it he dominated some VFL games and was promoted to the AFL. Perfect candidate for a longer contract and being 'under the pump' would definitely have been a premature call. I'm not saying Porter in under the pump but rather that if he doesn't demonstrate at VFL the value he could present the senior team then it's probably time to take a trip to the Homer Simpson institute of coaching and cut him. It's all very speculative and purely in his hands.

    I wish him the best but if he's having 15-20 disposal games as a mid in the VFL by the end of the year would you retain him?

  13. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,023
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I don't see Prudden as an example of effective list management to be honest.

    Last year was Green's second wasn't it? In it he dominated some VFL games and was promoted to the AFL. Perfect candidate for a longer contract and being 'under the pump' would definitely have been a premature call. I'm not saying Porter in under the pump but rather that if he doesn't demonstrate at VFL the value he could present the senior team then it's probably time to take a trip to the Homer Simpson institute of coaching and cut him. It's all very speculative and purely in his hands.

    I wish him the best but if he's having 15-20 disposal games as a mid in the VFL by the end of the year would you retain him?
    The Prudden example was to highlight that we tend to give players a decent stint to prove the recruiters right, and I think 20 disposals at the VFL level is OK for a 2nd year player but it depends on how we think they will go at the next level. Webb was getting some 30 plus games but couldn't make that form work at the senior level. I'm not sure there is a form line you can follow other than if the player seems to have that sort of ability that will transition to the next level. We will know more by the end of the season about Porter.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  14. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,747
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    The challenge for Porter is we have an army of young midfielders in their first 5 years who will be around for a while and are already consistent AFL performers. If he can keep playing well at VFL level he may get an opportunity in the senior side, but his form will need to be very strong to remove any of the incumbents.

    I haven't seen enough of him to have a view one way or the other, but as GVG said, it's a good sign he was on an extended I/C for the senior side, we rated him highly in the draft and he's of good character. Not sure it's a make or break year, but like all young players, he needs to continue to develop and improve.
    #bemorebulldog

    Men of Mayhem

  15. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    The challenge for Porter is we have an army of young midfielders in their first 5 years who will be around for a while and are already consistent AFL performers. If he can keep playing well at VFL level he may get an opportunity in the senior side, but his form will need to be very strong to remove any of the incumbents.

    I haven't seen enough of him to have a view one way or the other, but as GVG said, it's a good sign he was on an extended I/C for the senior side, we rated him highly in the draft and he's of good character. Not sure it's a make or break year, but like all young players, he needs to continue to develop and improve.
    Maybe he needs to reinvent himself as a small forward? If he can kick plenty of goals, then he will get a go.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  16. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    9,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Callum Porter

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Maybe he needs to reinvent himself as a small forward? If he can kick plenty of goals, then he will get a go.
    I saw him play forward a number of times at VFL level. I think he's primarily a mid.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •