Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rate a team in 2008: Carlton

The perpetual recent cellar dwellers have a new coach and the Judd factor, along with heaps of recent great draft picks. Their fans are talking up their chances and reckon they have a good team on paper.

But is this realistic? Will Judd have enough support from some talented but very young midfielders? Do they have any ruckman? Aside from Fevola, are their other KPPs up to scratch?

I don't think so. May come out of the blocks well, but ultimately will finish 10 - 13th IMHO.

Thoughts?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rate a team in 2008: Carlton

I think they'll improve a lot. The competition is so even now, that it wouldn't be unrealistic to aim for finals as a Blues supporter. They now have arguably the best full forward and the best midfielder in the competition. Their crop of youngsters is first class too.

They should be aiming to win around 10 games I guess, and probably just miss the 8.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see the Blues cocky supporters fall flat on their faces. Unfortunately I think Carlton could rise pretty quickly if everything falls their way.

With their best midfield up and running they will generate plenty of attacks out of the middle and with the best full forward in the comp getting on the end of their work, they could score heavily against teams who don't match them in this area.

Plenty of holes in defence where they have a bunch of honest toilers at best but a midfield A-team of Judd, Stevens, Murphy and Carrazzo will cause plenty of headaches for other teams....us included. I think the key to Carlton will be how they can support these blokes through the middle without losing any advantage. Their young blokes are probably another year away from making their mark and they are reliant on Kruezer coming on as quickly as possible.

Next year is their big opportunity to make serious inroads but this year they have the potential to make the bottom of the eight...with a large number of other teams, us included.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see the Blues cocky supporters fall flat on their faces. Unfortunately I think Carlton could rise pretty quickly if everything falls their way.

With their best midfield up and running they will generate plenty of attacks out of the middle and with the best full forward in the comp getting on the end of their work, they could score heavily against teams who don't match them in this area.

Plenty of holes in defence where they have a bunch of honest toilers at best but a midfield A-team of Judd, Stevens, Murphy and Carrazzo will cause plenty of headaches for other teams....us included. I think the key to Carlton will be how they can support these blokes through the middle without losing any advantage. Their young blokes are probably another year away from making their mark and they are reliant on Kruezer coming on as quickly as possible.

Next year is their big opportunity to make serious inroads but this year they have the potential to make the bottom of the eight...with a large number of other teams, us included.
    Bang, there's Carlton's X-Factor right there. Stevens being injured last year had a double-whammy effect, not only was he not there, but Marc Murphy, a second year player, copped the best tagger. Put them both in at full strength, throw the best midfielder in the comp into the mix, and Carazzo, who is more than serviceable, and you have Fevola getting some great service.

Unfortunately, that's where the good news ends. Their defence leaks like a sieve and Fevola will have little to no support. If one or two of those 5 goes down again its all over.

If they all stay fit, 9th-12th. If not, bottom 4 again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Bang, there's Carlton's X-Factor right there. Stevens being injured last year had a double-whammy effect, not only was he not there, but Marc Murphy, a second year player, copped the best tagger. Put them both in at full strength, throw the best midfielder in the comp into the mix, and Carazzo, who is more than serviceable, and you have Fevola getting some great service.

Unfortunately, that's where the good news ends. Their defence leaks like a sieve and Fevola will have little to no support. If one or two of those 5 goes down again its all over.
    But how will Stevens come back from injury. Can he miss a year and just come back?

I think their forwardline was actually their strength last year. Up there for most points scored with a crappy midfield. Waite, Fisher and Betts aren't bad backup.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't totally agree on that. Fisher is a pretty good half forward/ forward pocket who is more than capable of kicking 50 goals a season if he can get his body on the park for the full year. If Waite can play forward, and it's a big if they have a mobile CHF type who draws a good player. Betts is a pretty good crumbing type who will kick his 30+ goals a season.

I agree there backline is suspect, but you don't need big names down there to create a good group. Much like us if there forwards and midfielders can place more pressure on the opposition there defence will have a much easier task.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, their defence will be their biggest problem and teams will kick alot against them. Their defence looks like ours circa 2003, 2004.

Post Thanks / Like

Their initial midfield group is good; Judd, Stevens, Murphy, Carrazzo. Who do they have after that? Gibbs is raw & IMO didn't look too flashy anyway - despite his age. It's a decent midfield but they need another couple solid players because IMO in the second half they'll fall away a bit.

No quality ruckmen & a dodgy defence.

Forward line consists of the best FF (Fevola) and a solid HFF (Fisher). Betts is OK, Waite if he plays as a CHF is solid too. However, I think they have to play Waite as a CHB which weakens their attack up forward. Fisher & Betts are inconsistent and can be restricted, Fevola appears to be their only real dangerous weapon.

They have about 8 or so real quality players, but it falls away & badly after that IMO. They'll probably start the season well but I think we'll see a fade from about R14/15 onwards.

10th-13th.