Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  49
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are left footers better players?

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    True. Look a bit silly doing blind turns without the ball in your hands. Although they say that in the 1971 grand final all the important moments in the first half took place without the ball.
    One of the best on doing the blind turns and baulks was David Thorpe. Used to do them regularly and with good effect. Disappointed when he went to Richmond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I reckon Td you would love taunting every other team's supporters.
    I have a group of mates that I've been going to the footy with for years. We work as a team. The great thing is a lot of us have kids these days who come along and join in. Nice to pass the baton on.

A couple of years ago we got a Richmond supporter so worked up that the rozzers ended up throwing him out of Marvel stadium.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

3. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    dais55 Guest

I don't know why the world is so 'right', but like defenders, there should be more of us lefties!!
    I think the big advantage of lefties is that players are not used to them. Apart from that, there is no real advantage.
    Timo Bolls' reverse serve is different from a right handers normal sidespin because it is coming from a different angle and it has a different action.

When we return serve we get used to the action to help us to recognize what spin is on the ball. I read here this thing that As a left hander, you would generally use your left foot to step in and reach the short balls.

This is the same for short pushing and for flicking. You may sometimes want to use your right foot (being a left hander) if the ball is short and wide to your backhand. This is because if you use your left foot and the ball is wide, you would be crossing your feet over which could be a bit tricky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dais55 View Post
    I don't know why the world is so 'right', but like defenders, there should be more of us lefties!!
    I think the big advantage of lefties is that players are not used to them. Apart from that, there is no real advantage.
    Timo Bolls' reverse serve is different from a right handers normal sidespin because it is coming from a different angle and it has a different action.

When we return serve we get used to the action to help us to recognize what spin is on the ball. I read here this thing that As a left hander, you would generally use your left foot to step in and reach the short balls.

This is the same for short pushing and for flicking. You may sometimes want to use your right foot (being a left hander) if the ball is short and wide to your backhand. This is because if you use your left foot and the ball is wide, you would be crossing your feet over which could be a bit tricky.
    This has to be the most targeted first post in the history of Woof!!! Classic leftie - when we would all expect our opponent to swing onto their right (post in New Members, or a Game Day thread) dais55 turns on to their left (a 5 year old thread about an obscure topic) and bamboozles us!

Welcome dais55.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dais55 View Post

Great post dai55.

Post Thanks / Like

As a matter of interest can anyone else kick dropkicks? As a kid I used to practise my kicking a lot and would try all the different types of kicks, drop punts, torps, flat punts, bananas, stab kicks, checksides because just kicking drop punts got a bit boring. But the one that I really liked was the drop kick. If you got it right and hit your teammate on the chest it just felt good. For some reason opponents really found it hard to intercept them.

Torpedoes were really satisfying too. Watching it spin and spin through the air was a like like driving a golf ball perfectly and watching it disappear into the distance.

8. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a matter of interest can anyone else kick dropkicks?
    Just at the Nets.
    "It's over. It's all over."

10. Thanks Bulldog Revolution thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a matter of interest can anyone else kick dropkicks? As a kid I used to practise my kicking a lot and would try all the different types of kicks, drop punts, torps, flat punts, bananas, stab kicks, checksides because just kicking drop punts got a bit boring. But the one that I really liked was the drop kick. If you got it right and hit your teammate on the chest it just felt good. For some reason opponents really found it hard to intercept them.

Torpedoes were really satisfying too. Watching it spin and spin through the air was a like like driving a golf ball perfectly and watching it disappear into the distance.
    Yes, my best kick was a drop kick
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m a left footer and played a fair bit of local footy a long time ago.
    I couldn’t kick longer than 45 metres.
    Fumbled the ball if it was below my knees
    Had a turning circle of a semi trailer…..

So I think the only real benefit of being a left footer really is getting a kick in traffic. Most players naturally go to their left to smother a right foot kick. This makes it easier… This advantage is now a lot less in modern day footy as kicking the ball to an area is now frowned upon.

13. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gohardorgohome View Post
    I’m a left footer and played a fair bit of local footy a long time ago.
    I couldn’t kick longer than 45 metres.
    Fumbled the ball if it was below my knees
    Had a turning circle of a semi trailer…..

So I think the only real benefit of being a left footer really is getting a kick in traffic. Most players naturally go to their left to smother a right foot kick. This makes it easier… This advantage is now a lot less in modern day footy as kicking the ball to an area is now frowned upon.
    I'm right foot left handed used to be good to trick a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Came across this article

Left-handed sportspeople have greater advantage in cricket, baseball and table tennis

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2...seball/9175124

Made me wonder: are AFL left footers better players? Is there something about them vs the game they are playing that gives them an edge?

Thoughts?
    Yes.

Source: am a left footer

Post Thanks / Like

I can launch a drop kick further than I can when I try to get on a torp.

Post Thanks / Like

This.

Post Thanks / Like

Every footy training I try to hit a torp from the point where the 50m line meets the boundary, on the first warm-up lap.

There is no better feeling than flushing it, with the roar of the boys around you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Every footy training I try to hit a torp from the point where the 50m line meets the boundary, on the first warm-up lap.

There is no better feeling than flushing it, with the roar of the boys around you.
    It's the best feeling. A pure torp just pings off the boot and transcends the laws of physics.

My favourite after training torp landed in a team mates ute !