Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  49
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are left footers better players?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The trouble with many kicks was the accuracy. The drop punt is the most accurate method of kicking.
    Can understand that in general. Just on Hudson including his career in his native Tasmania and night and rep competitions, Hudson played 372 matches and kicked 2191 goals at an average of 5.89. But that's not even half of the half of it. From 1968, he kicked 100 goals four years in a row. All flat punts and a few torps.

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What about the stab pass? I seem to recall some players using it occasionally in the 70's
    Ted Whitten Jr used to almost knock Kelvin Templeton over with some of his stab passed.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Can understand that in general. Just on Hudson including his career in his native Tasmania and night and rep competitions, Hudson played 372 matches and kicked 2191 goals at an average of 5.89. But that's not even half of the half of it. From 1968, he kicked 100 goals four years in a row. All flat punts and a few torps.
    I just read A Football Genius, Peter Hudson's bio by Dan Eddy. Even though he had kicked 4 tons in a row Hudson was all set for the biggest year of his life, had kicked 8 in the first half of the first round, was convinced he was going to break Fanning's 18 goal record that day but did his knee just before half time and virtually only played another 30 games in what would have been his prime playing years.

5. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Playing local footy in the late 60's the drop kick, flat punt and torp were all we did. With all due modesty I could regularly kick the torp and drop kick over 50 yards...in those days.
    I played u/19s in the VAFA, on the wing, 1972.
    I preferred torps, drop kicks and flat punts. Could stab kick.
    A drop punt was for short passes or for those who couldn't kick.
    We had Mark Browning, thereafter a Swans player, who was a great left footer but clearly the best player I played with was leftie Steve Knapp who would have made AFL if he wasn't Australian table tennis champ at 17 yoa and shipped to China in 1972 by Whitlam to help establish diplomatic relations.
    He was a very competitive, hard worker with exceptional talent and instincts. Rarely missed a goal including snaps, did things before others knew what was happening, could win the ball in a pack of opposition, be under the ball in front of a pack and push the the pack back with eyes on the ball and arc back and take the mark, stuff like that ... leftie..

7. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Browning was a great player. For a few years the Swans whole defensive strategy was to get the ball into his hands and then watch him kick it 50-60 metres down the ground.

Was he part of that deal between Richmond and South that saw John Pitura to Richmond and Teasdale, Whale Roberts and (I think) Browning go the other way?

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Mark Browning was a great player. For a few years the Swans whole defensive strategy was to get the ball into his hands and then watch him kick it 50-60 metres down the ground.

Was he part of that deal between Richmond and South that saw John Pitura to Richmond and Teasdale, Whale Roberts and (I think) Browning go the other way?
    No think it was Francis Jackson.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post