Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  49
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are left footers better players?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Every footy training I try to hit a torp from the point where the 50m line meets the boundary, on the first warm-up lap.

There is no better feeling than flushing it, with the roar of the boys around you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It's the best feeling. A pure torp just pings off the boot and transcends the laws of physics.

My favourite after training torp landed in a team mates ute !
    Story time!

I played shit level football and because I was 6 foot 1 that meant I was destined for ruck/full back.

So one day we're having a close game and it's back and forth. Our forwards were having a mare (because they were as shit as me) but our defense was playing well. Probably because I was in the ruck that day.

Anyway, the other side had this annoying but sort of good midfielder and he'd been giving me the shits all day. Late in the third quarter, we're behind by two points and the ball ricochets off his foot and goes out of bounds on the full. One of our guys goes and looks into the forward line but thinks better of it (for aforementioned reasons) and goes inboard to me. I have to lunge for it and as I do the annoying midfielder goes to "spoil" and cracks me in the jaw. Then puts his hands up after I mark it to say "sorry it was an accident" but of course it wasn't.

So I'm about 55 out with a head full of steam and I'm looking for a forward to lead but there's no space because they're shit and it's shit footy so every player on the ground is in our 50.

I'm thinking I'll just put it to the top of the square and maybe it'll accidentally hit one of our guys on the foot and miraculously go through for a goal, but as I'm running in I glance at the annoying guy's face as he's on the mark and think "nah *!*!*!*! it" and shift my grip and go for it.

I've always been a shit kick but a reasonable badoonker kicker and I've never unloaded a better barrel in my life than that one. It's sailing through the air and I just put a finger up Larry Bird style as the siren goes. The ball goes through the middle at the top of the posts and goes back another ten or fifteen metres. My team mates go berserk and swamp me.

We lose the game.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

There has been some outstanding left footers that come to mind, including Bob Skilton Ian Stewart Royce Hart Polly Farmer and Thorold
    Merrett. All Champions in their own right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Every footy training I try to hit a torp from the point where the 50m line meets the boundary, on the first warm-up lap.

There is no better feeling than flushing it, with the roar of the boys around you.
    What is your ratio of goals v out on the full? You must enjoy jumping the fence to get the footy!

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Story time!

I played shit level football and because I was 6 foot 1 that meant I was destined for ruck/full back.
    How tall are you now?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    What is your ratio of goals v out on the full? You must enjoy jumping the fence to get the footy!

How tall are you now?
    The crushing weight of being a Bulldogs supporter has shrunk me to 4 foot 3.

5. Thanks Axe Man thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Story time!

So one day we're having a close game and it's back and forth. Our forwards were having a mare (because they were as shit as me) but our defense was playing well. Probably because I was in the ruck that day.

Anyway, the other side had this annoying but sort of good midfielder and he'd been giving me the shits all day. Late in the third quarter, we're behind by two points and the ball ricochets off his foot and goes out of bounds on the full. One of our guys goes and looks into the forward line but thinks better of it (for aforementioned reasons) and goes inboard to me. I have to lunge for it and as I do the annoying midfielder goes to "spoil" and cracks me in the jaw. Then puts his hands up after I mark it to say "sorry it was an accident" but of course it wasn't.

So I'm about 55 out with a head full of steam and I'm looking for a forward to lead but there's no space because they're shit and it's shit footy so every player on the ground is in our 50.

I'm thinking I'll just put it to the top of the square and maybe it'll accidentally hit one of our guys on the foot and miraculously go through for a goal, but as I'm running in I glance at the annoying guy's face as he's on the mark and think "nah *!*!*!*! it" and shift my grip and go for it.

I've always been a shit kick but a reasonable badoonker kicker and I've never unloaded a better barrel in my life than that one. It's sailing through the air and I just put a finger up Larry Bird style as the siren goes. The ball goes through the middle at the top of the posts and goes back another ten or fifteen metres. My team mates go berserk and swamp me.

We lose the game.
    Hahahaha gold. 6 ft 1 is a good height. My brother is 6 4 and doesn't have a shred of sporting ability I really hate that I was robbed !

Losing so doesn't matter when you've done that.

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Nah I'm pretty good.

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    There has been some outstanding left footers that come to mind, including Bob Skilton Ian Stewart Royce Hart Polly Farmer and Thorold
    Merrett. All Champions in their own right.
    Bob was also a great kick on his right foot too NBP.

Post Thanks / Like

Playing local footy in the late 60's the drop kick, flat punt and torp were all we did. With all due modesty I could regularly kick the torp and drop kick over 50 yards...in those days.

12. Likes EasternWest, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Playing local footy in the late 60's the drop kick, flat punt and torp were all we did. With all due modesty I could regularly kick the torp and drop kick over 50 yards...in those days.
    Even with the onion tied to your belt?

Post Thanks / Like

What about the stab pass? I seem to recall some players using it occasionally in the 70's
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It was the style at the time so I'm feeling yes is the answer.

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It was the style at the time so I'm feeling yes is the answer.
    I'm betting it was one of those big yellow ones.

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No the onion and garlic were around my neck. Lot of vampires playing in those days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What about the stab pass? I seem to recall some players using it occasionally in the 70's
    It was a great kick too G. When you look back at the kicks that have gone out of the game it is a lost art. All Peter Hudson's goals were flat punts if I remember correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a great kick too G. When you look back at the kicks that have gone out of the game it is a lost art. All Peter Hudson's goals were flat punts if I remember correctly.
    The trouble with many kicks was the accuracy. The drop punt is the most accurate method of kicking.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.