Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Team set-up 2018

With the list nearly finalised, let's get our predictions in. I'm going with a slightly different way of naming the side, because I think traditional positions are almost redundant in our style.

Tall defenders: x2 in almost all situations. Maybe not against Richmond or other sides playing deliberately small.
    Medium/small defenders: again dependent on match-ups but I would suspect x2 here as well.
    Attacking defenders: a key to our gameplan, two of the most important positions in our team. Want good skills and ability to run and carry. 60-70m players. Plus at least one rotation. Also noted that Bevo started rotating our attacking defenders into the forward line towards the end of the year.
    Wingmen: similar to the attacking defenders, very important positions.
    Ruckman: we know Bevo's attitude, the most mobile of our big men will get picked here
    Midfielders: x5 (including bench). Forward time expected of all, even if just a few minutes per quarter.
    High half forward/extra mid: hard running, able to hit up targets inside 50 and kick accurately when their chance comes up. Likely to be rotated through multiple players.
    Tall forwards: self-explanatory
    Medium/small forwards: mostly expected to rotate through the midfield, able to apply defensive pressure.

So for me, our most likely set up is:

Tall defenders: Adams, Trengove
    Ahead of Collins, Roberts and Naughton at this stage. Unlikely to change over pre-season.

Medium defenders: Wood, Cordy
    Potential overkill by having Cordy with the other two talls, Adams and Trengove, but I think he is able to play smaller in a Morris type role.

Attacking defenders: Suckling, Crozier (Biggs)
    I see JJ being pushed up the field into either the wing or forward line, and with the retirements of Bob/Boyd that leaves these spots open. Williams is obviously the one I've left out, mostly because I've never seen him live but have never been convinced when watching online.

Wingmen: Hunter, JJ
    I'd really like to see this combination. Hunter is a great runner and has the ability to be an important link-up player. JJ's run and carry make him an ideal wingman, as long as his endurance is high enough.

Ruckman: Roughead
    Has to be leading the way at this stage, with English and Campbell behind him. If Redpath gets the gig as starting forward, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boyd or Schache named as our starting ruckman.

Midfielders: Bont, Macrae, McLean (Libba, Wallis)
    As a midfield 'squad' of five they all have potential to win clearances and spread. Bont, McLean and Libba have all shown decent forward craft.

High half forward: Dale (Daniel)
    Dale's season was excellent, and in tandem with Caleb I think could dominate this area in 2018. They both have great vision and a willingness to take their chances with decent accuracy. I'd like the ball in either of their hands going inside 50.

Tall forwards: Boyd/Schache, Redpath
    Controversial but I still have Redpath in my starting 18 at this stage. I think his season was underrated and basically dismantled by the MRP. If he can control his aggression, I see him having a spot in our 22 until Boyd/Schache demand it off him. Pre-season will have a big role to play, but I won't be surprised if it ends up like this.

Medium/small forwards: Dahlhaus, Dickson, Picken
    I'd like to see Dahl down forward where his foot skills are less likely to result in damaging turnovers. He has a knack for squeezing out sneaky goals and would be a hazard at forward stoppages. Dickson is vital as our only accurate forward, and Picken will be fighting with Webb/Green/Lipinski for that final forward spot.

2. Thanks GVGjr, KT31, Smads57, bulldogtragic, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team set-up 2018

By and large agree, but really think that Dale Morris is still a near automatic selection. I'd have him in ahead of Cordy (and pretty much all of the other defenders).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    By and large agree, but really think that Dale Morris is still a near automatic selection. I'd have him in ahead of Cordy (and pretty much all of the other defenders).
    I love Dale and I'm very glad that he's playing on, but I think he's got a serious fight on his hands for a best 22 spot next year. Roarke, Cordy and Lewis Young are probably the other competitors for that 3rd tall/medium defender role. None have the runs on the board that Dale does, but I think those three will play more than Dale in 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I love Dale and I'm very glad that he's playing on, but I think he's got a serious fight on his hands for a best 22 spot next year. Roarke, Cordy and Lewis Young are probably the other competitors for that 3rd tall/medium defender role. None have the runs on the board that Dale does, but I think those three will play more than Dale in 2018.
    You were losing me when you had Redpath in the best 18, but to suggest Roarke Smith will play more games than Morris is taking it a little far.

Last year Morris had a broken leg, broken arm and a banged up ankle (which he shouldn't have been playing on), but was still a decent contributor.. Smith is coming off 2 knee reco's and has hardly been on the park for 2 years, and when he has, he hasn't been overly impressive... I just can't see what you are suggesting happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You were losing me when you had Redpath in the best 18, but to suggest Roarke Smith will play more games than Morris is taking it a little far.

Last year Morris had a broken leg, broken arm and a banged up ankle (which he shouldn't have been playing on), but was still a decent contributor.. Smith is coming off 2 knee reco's and has hardly been on the park for 2 years, and when he has, he hasn't been overly impressive... I just can't see what you are suggesting happening.
    Sorry I meant combined, the three of them would often take that spot ahead of Dale. Even when fully fit he had started to slow down this year, and I don't think I'm alone in thinking he could drop sharply in 2018.

He might start round 1, but I'd be surprised (and a little disappointed) if that's still the case come round 23.

As for Redpath, why do Schache or Boyd instantly get in ahead of him? We just gave him a two year deal, put him in the leadership group and in 2017 played him in most games that he wasn't suspended or injured. He has limitations but Schache/Boyd are hardly perfect footballers at this stage.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sneaking suspicion that with a bit of luck on the injury front Fergus Greene might claim a couple of games in 2018 as a small/medium forward.

Great thread Jazzadogs
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Adams - hoping for a big 2018. No injuries disruptions. Really liked him down back for us before that injury.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Lukas Webb I recall in a game actually was decent up forward.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really looking forward to seeing Adams put some games together.

I can't remember a player turning up and giving us a glimpse of some real form (potential?) over a couple of years. He's unique.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that with a bit of luck on the injury front Fergus Greene might claim a couple of games in 2018 as a small/medium forward.

Great thread Jazzadogs
    I agree on the Greene call. I also have sneaking suspicion it will be closer to ten games.

When he actually got on the park in 2017 he actually played pretty well.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I agree on the Greene call. I also have sneaking suspicion it will be closer to ten games.

When he actually got on the park in 2017 he actually played pretty well.

He looked good didn't he? He seemed to have plenty of time when he got the ball in his hands
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He looked good didn't he? He seemed to have plenty of time when he got the ball in his hands
    And most importantly has a very good goal sense.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Pat Lipinski may surprise by getting a few games. Was very impressive in his first game and really should have had at least 3 goals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Pat Lipinski may surprise by getting a few games. Was very impressive in his first game and really should have had at least 3 goals.
    Very good debut from Patty - 1000th Bulldog player. Looking forward to seeing how he goes in 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm really looking forward to seeing Adams put some games together.

I can't remember a player turning up and giving us a glimpse of some real form (potential?) over a couple of years. He's unique.
    Yeah we need some luck on the injury front particularly the defence which was battered this year. Adams staying on the park will make opposition forwards a little nervous.