Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team set-up 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yeah we need some luck on the injury front particularly the defence which was battered this year. Adams staying on the park will make opposition forwards a little nervous.

As I say he's unique for us. A player who can hold down KP spots at either end of the ground, plays well in big games and owns moments (he seems to always come up with a goal or a game saving mark deep in defence) he defends one on one and he peels off and creates options and he kicks goals.

If they would hurry up and invent soft tissue transplants then I'd be happy to donate yours to the cause Easty! Marcus could do with some hamstrings that worked properly.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    As I say he's unique for us. A player who can hold down KP spots at either end of the ground, plays well in big games and owns moments (he seems to always come up with a goal or a game saving mark deep in defence) he defends one on one and he peels off and creates options and he kicks goals.

If they would hurry up and invent soft tissue transplants then I'd be happy to donate yours to the cause Easty! Marcus could do with some hamstrings that worked properly.
    Yes can play up forward a bit as well Marcus.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on Dal, it would be nice to have the luxury of playing him forward because he has all the traits of an aggressive small forward in the Cyrol Rioli style, albeit less class and more grunt.

Likewise Adams forward gives us that bustling medium forward presence that we miss with Stringer/Crameri gone. Way better mark than either of those guys.

We should have enough grunt in the midfield and tall defenders to move both of those guys forward.

We sure have a lot of depth now, all over the park. I think we probably even have enough forward depth, its just that we dont know who those players exactly are yet.

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any reason why Adams can’t play a Stringer type role up forward? He has the power and the explosiveness but unlike Stringer, he can mark overhead.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Is there any reason why Adams can’t play a Stringer type role up forward? He has the power and the explosiveness but unlike Stringer, he can mark overhead.
    If we see a combination of Trengove, Cordy and Young (perhaps Naughton at a pinch) able to play as our primary key defenders, no reason Adams can't spend the bulk of his time forward.

Does a forward line of Adams and Schache means Boyd plays in the ruck, or do we go the complete opposite way of everyone else and play 3 key targets up front, knowing Schache can spend time leading right up and Boyd will chop out in the ruck for patches, too?

Post Thanks / Like

Just not sure about his accuracy when having shot at goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannaknowmore View Post
    With some practice that shouldn't be a problem. I think we need Adams as a defender but it wouldn't surprise me if he is played forward from time to time.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannaknowmore View Post

Yep. A career total of 4.7 would suggest that.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't; think Adams has the agility, nor would he play like a small forward (which is really how Stringer played).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You were losing me when you had Redpath in the best 18, but to suggest Roarke Smith will play more games than Morris is taking it a little far.

Last year Morris had a broken leg, broken arm and a banged up ankle (which he shouldn't have been playing on), but was still a decent contributor.. Smith is coming off 2 knee reco's and has hardly been on the park for 2 years, and when he has, he hasn't been overly impressive... I just can't see what you are suggesting happening.
    Interesting now that poor Dale is out for a while Jazza may well be right, Roarke will be a player if his knees hold up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Donuts View Post
    Interesting now that poor Dale is out for a while Jazza may well be right, Roarke will be a player if his knees hold up.
    You seem confident on Roarke, what have you seen in him to form such a high opinion?

The little I have seen of him over the years hasn't suggested to me that he's a long term player. I will be pleasantly surprised if he's still on the list next year.

Post Thanks / Like

I still see Roarke as being behind Cordy and Naughton for the third/mobile tall defender spot, but won't be surprised if he plays 8-10 matches throughout the year.

From all reports Redpath is a strong chance for round one with Schache, Boyd, Roughy and Campbell fighting it out for two spots as ruck/forwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    You seem confident on Roarke, what have you seen in him to form such a high opinion?

The little I have seen of him over the years hasn't suggested to me that he's a long term player. I will be pleasantly surprised if he's still on the list next year.
    I saw him in between knees (not mine) at Port Melbourne and he played a very good game and was good overhead and at ground level, he backed this up in another couple of Footscray games, as a consequence I wasn't surprised that the club and coaches have given him another chance, he can play but as I said he has to doubtful with 2 knee reco's, I will back him in if he can stay on the park.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I still see Roarke as being behind Cordy and Naughton for the third/mobile tall defender spot, but won't be surprised if he plays 8-10 matches throughout the year.

From all reports Redpath is a strong chance for round one with Schache, Boyd, Roughy and Campbell fighting it out for two spots as ruck/forwards.
    I would say Redpath is not much chance for round 1 seeing as he's suspended.

16. Likes bornadog, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I would say Redpath is not much chance for round 1 seeing as he's suspended.
    He is, that little prick Toby Greene is playing for GWS though.