Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Worst Injury You've Seen To A Bulldogs Player?

I know Nathan Judas Brown was with Richmond, but watching that footage of the player falling over his leg and the way his leg was dangling was awful to watch
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This is tough, Tony Libba going for the mark and putting himself in front of Sav Rocca

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I know Nathan Judas Brown was with Richmond, but watching that footage of the player falling over his leg and the way his leg was dangling was awful to watch
    Yep. If we're open to all clubs, Richard Osborne as a swan getting a tracheotomy after getting knocked out at the SCG. Trent Hencthels career ending knee. James Hird's facial injury. Darren Cresswell hitting his dislocated knee cap back in. Lonergan losing a kidney.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Callery was a lecturer at my uni. He told me a story about almost dying on the field.

He was shirtfronted in the middle and knocked out, and vomited which blocked his windpipe. He had to be revived on the field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This is tough, Tony Libba going for the mark and putting himself in front of Sav Rocca

Toughest player ever. The pain and abuse that man could cop with a smile in his face was unbelievable. Talk about your racist, libellous sledging from the crowd. But Tony just ran to the next contest and took his frustration and anger out on the ball (and opposition sometimes)

He was a freak of nature. My all time favourite.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

The Neil Sachse injury was the worst, no question. That day is an indelible memory.

However one of the strangest "injuries" I have seen on the field involved an umpires advisor (Bob Nunn) who collapsed on the field and was carried off on a stretcher. He wasn't actually umpiring at the time, just instructing the field umpires, so from memory it must have been three quarter time. He eventually recovered in hospital.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the first things I have a really clear explicit memory of seeing at Whitten oval was Peter Knights being stretchered off the ground and the trainers accidentally dropping him off the stretcher when they were halfway up the race. It got to the ludicrous stage where they were almost wedged into that tiny space the visitors race occupied after Knights had fallen off because they were having all sorts of trouble managing the stretcher, the unconscious Peter Knights who was pretty much a dead weight and four trainers all getting in each other's way busily trying to prove who was the most important.

It was like watching four Brendan Goddards trying to out point each other

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    The Neil Sachse injury was the worst, no question. That day is an indelible memory.

However one of the strangest "injuries" I have seen on the field involved an umpires advisor (Bob Nunn) who collapsed on the field and was carried off on a stretcher. He wasn't actually umpiring at the time, just instructing the field umpires, so from memory it must have been three quarter time. He eventually recovered in hospital.
    Good to know he recovered. A school friend of mine, Greg Sidebottom who umpired at AFL level, died umpiring recently. I guess it was like the old guys who die on the golf course. The buddhists would say they chose their point of exit, doing something they love.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Good to know he recovered. A school friend of mine, Greg Sidebottom who umpired at AFL level, died umpiring recently. I guess it was like the old guys who die on the golf course. The buddhists would say they chose their point of exit, doing something they love.

I remember that name. Did he play cricket around the west?

Sorry to hear of his passing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Agree....horrible day. Remember being in the Whitten Stand watching him being loaded into the ambulance out the back.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I remember that name. Did he play cricket around the west?

Sorry to hear of his passing.
    I doubt it. School was FTG and I think he stayed in the area.
    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...02-gnwzah.html
    Greg was a great guy. Always had a smile on his dial.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Agree....horrible day. Remember being in the Whitten Stand watching him being loaded into the ambulance out the back.

Oh yeah, I can remember watching that too. It's just come back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I doubt it. School was FTG and I think he stayed in the area.
    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...02-gnwzah.html
    Greg was a great guy. Always had a smile on his dial.
    Cheers. There was a fella with the same name that I played cricket against. Now it's going to bother me until I think of what club and why he stands out until I remember.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I don't remember that one. If Perrin was playing it must have been 1979 or 1980, I can remember Micky Conlan torching us one day at junction oval he was lobbing them through from every angle. I think it was the third quarter that he must have kicked 5 goals.
    Brian Perrin played for us between 1980-1983

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/play...an_Perrin.html
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Dale Morris breaking his leg at Etihad. I was on level 3 behind the goals and could see the leg was just all wrong from there.

Most devestating was Clay Smith doing his 2nd ACL at Whitten Oval. His parents were there and his mum and Clay were both in tears.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Brian Perrin played for us between 1980-1983

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/play...an_Perrin.html

He certainly did Easty. He wore number 40 from memory. Every week over those four years, depending on whether he was playing in the seniors or not, a very dedicated Beian Perrin fan used to hang a sign saying either "Keep Brian Perrin in the Seniors" or "Play Brian Perrin in the Seniors" next to the players race of the ground we played at. If you watch the footage you will see the sign week in and week out.