Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Worst Injury You've Seen To A Bulldogs Player?

As the title says, just Bulldogs players, and the worst injury you've ever seen. Such as broken arms, broken legs, knees, internal issues to lungs or other organs, broken facial bones etc. - I'm going to assume when kicking was more prevalent that olden day players might be unfortunate winners.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Worst Injury You've Seen To A Bulldogs Player?

Besides Neil Sachs which I believe no one can ever see worse than that, (I hope), I will say Rodney Grinters elbow smashing Terry Wallets jaw. I was on the fence near by and that was horrible.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Wallis is the worst one I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I was trying to work out mine, and I absolutely agree on Wally. I still turn my head if/when there's a replay.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The outcome was certainly one of the worse, but at the time, I couldn't tell what the injury was and how bad it was.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay's ACL against the Saints. Was really angry at him being sent back out there.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Clay's ACL against the Saints. Was really angry at him being sent back out there.
    I was almost crying when he did his 3rd ACL, felt so sorry for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Besides Neil Sachs which I believe no one can ever see worse than that, (I hope), I will say Rodney Grinters elbow smashing Terry Wallets jaw. I was on the fence near by and that was horrible.
    I was on the Hawkins side which he was facing when Grinter assaulted him. It was a very violent, round arm smash, sickening. Being on the Hawkins side I was surrounded by Melb supporters, the one behind me cheering when the stretcher came out after yelling at Wallet to get up and stop faking! I lost a bit of control and grabbed the bastard by the shirt front and twisted and said "you want to be taken out.." Luckily he backed off.
    That smash of Wallace's face was revolting and an argument for charging with assault.
    Footscray Football Republic.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Barry Hall cleaning Mitch Hahn in the NAB Cup Grand Final (I think) was a pretty bad one.

Neil Sasche was terrible. Being at the ground and seeing the players being so emotional is something I will never forget. But one of the worst injuries I saw was when Scott Wynd copped the sharp end of Justin Madden's elbow at the opening bounce at Optus Oval one day. Wynd lay in the middle of the ground convulsing-I thought he was a goner, I literally thought he was about to die-it was a horrible thing to watch.

That was the day Barry Standfield stood up and gave Maddern (who may have been a little bit tentative after that) a bath in the ruck.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Adrian Campbell tore 3 of his 4 knee ligaments at VFL Park one day - his knee could be moved at right angles such was the damage done. It was likened to a high speed car collision injury and completely wrecked a promising young career.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Adrian Campbell tore 3 of his 4 knee ligaments at VFL Park one day - his knee could be moved at right angles such was the damage done. It was likened to a high speed car collision injury and completely wrecked a promising young career.
    Im sure he likened it to a motorbike accident.

I had a bit of a thing for motorbikes when I was younger and one of the things that opened my eyes to the danger of them (that and coming off a Triumph 750 going at 130 Ks along the really long roads where the petrol tankers are in Spotswood, I can still see the road coming up at me as the bike went down now) was the surgeon who operated on Adrian Campbell's remark that his injury was bad and the only other time he had seen that much damage was after a motorcycle (I don't know why the authorities always call them "motorcycles") accident. And from memory he was talking about a specific motorbike accident he had treated not in abstract notions about motorbike accidents. I'm happy to be corrected on that last bit though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Barry Hall cleaning Mitch Hahn in the NAB Cup Grand Final (I think) was a pretty bad one.

Neil Sasche was terrible. Being at the ground and seeing the players being so emotional is something I will never forget. But one of the worst injuries I saw was when Scott Wynd copped the sharp end of Justin Madden's elbow at the opening bounce at Optus Oval one day. Wynd lay in the middle of the ground convulsing-I thought he was a goner, I literally thought he was about to die-it was a horrible thing to watch.

That was the day Barry Standfield stood up and gave Maddern (who may have been a little bit tentative after that) a bath in the ruck.
    I remember that game well. Fish stood up that day and stamped himself as one of my favourite players.

There have been so many!

Doug's knee in 86 was the worst injury in terms of timing, he was dominating the competition and at the peak of his powers.

Paul Dear's kick to Peter Foster's shin that broke his leg. Hawthorn went on to smash us when it counted because of that.

Bamblett's knee that effectively ended one of the best small forward in the comp's career.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd forgotten about Lal's knee.

Post Thanks / Like

I was 7 years old and standing near the fence in front of the John Gent Stand the day Neil Sachse did his injury. I can still feel the eerie silence that followed. Anyone there that day would have it top of the list I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. Yep it was pretty bad that one.

Others:

Bob's knee in 2016 The year we make a Grand Final and win.

Libba doing his knee in a pre season game at Whitten Oval in 2015.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"