Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

GWS Giants - the dark horse of season 2023?

I commend you all to read an interesting behind the scenes article about the Giants' new coach, assistant coaches (including Monty) and approach.

On the shoulders of Giants: Inside the return of the 'Orange Tsunami'
    Riley Beveridge goes behind the curtain at GWS, where new coach Adam Kingsley has quickly left his mark on a 'family club' he wants to be raw and relentless in its quest for finals

https://www.afl.com.au/news/873380/o...range-tsunami-

They have a lot of talent - can Kingsley mould them into a finals side in 2023?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Likes GVGjr, Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GWS Giants - the dark horse of season 2023?

Thank you Dry Rot. Ive done one full pass of it and Im intending to go back for another run at it.
    Riley Beverage did an outstanding job and my first thoughts are that Kingsley has been rehearsing this sort of theme over his coaching career.

4. Likes Dry Rot, Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to find some time to read this.

Post Thanks / Like

God I hate this mob I feel dirty reading anything about them.

They need to work so hard on marketing and selling positivity given the challenges faced with their geography but I don't buy any of it. Losing Taranto and Hopper short term will be catastrophic, they could potentially cover one and may even benefit if they had a deeper midfield (i.e. us and Dunkley) but losing both of them leaves a big hole on the inside.

Their genuinely good players are aging (Whitfield nearing 30, Ward nearly 33, Davis nearing 33, Haynes 31), and while they have good young players in Taylor and Tom Green and start power in Grub and Kelly they have holes at both ends of the ground.

They lack a quality second tall down back (Himmelberg has adapted ok but is suspect imo) and lack a quality key forward (Hogan is washy and probably cooked and Riccardi is taking time to come on, but is young). They also lack a quality ruck and a good medium / small forward outside of Greene. I think they're a 6-8 team at best.

They struggle on the road and can't win at the G and long may that trend continue.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to get some insights

Kingsley has done the apprenticeship, and now its time to see if that experience has readied him - they sound well organised and structured, but can the players translate it into action?

They still have a fair bit of talent, but do they have enough class in the middle to get on top?

Can Coniglio*, Kelly, Whitfield get back to their best form, because those three can make a big difference, but you feel like they need Green and others to really improve in the centre square?

*Coniglio was better last year and 2nd in their BnF so presumably pretty good

I like Isaac Cumming as a set up kicker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    God I hate this mob I feel dirty reading anything about them.

They need to work so hard on marketing and selling positivity given the challenges faced with their geography but I don't buy any of it. Losing Taranto and Hopper short term will be catastrophic, they could potentially cover one and may even benefit if they had a deeper midfield (i.e. us and Dunkley) but losing both of them leaves a big hole on the inside.

Their genuinely good players are aging (Whitfield nearing 30, Ward nearly 33, Davis nearing 33, Haynes 31), and while they have good young players in Taylor and Tom Green and start power in Grub and Kelly they have holes at both ends of the ground.

They lack a quality second tall down back (Himmelberg has adapted ok but is suspect imo) and lack a quality key forward (Hogan is washy and probably cooked and Riccardi is taking time to come on, but is young). They also lack a quality ruck and a good medium / small forward outside of Greene. I think they're a 6-8 team at best.

They struggle on the road and can't win at the G and long may that trend continue.
    Agree with all this except I think you are generous - they will be lucky to make finals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Really good article, offers some good insight into their setup and the philosophy of Kingsley. Not surprising that it comes from the AFL website, as theyre desperate to have GWS improve again.

Given the amount of money invested in Kelly, Coniglio, Whitfield, Greene they really need them to be their four elite players. Tom Green, Sam Taylor, Cumming, Perryman, Himmelberg and Jesse Hogan (who had his best season in a long time) are all very capable of lifting them to another level, and there is a layer of largely untapped youth beneath that (Cadman, Jones, Callaghan, Ash, Bedford).

There's no reason they can't sneak a few unexpected wins and push for the bottom half of the eight.

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree with all this except I think you are generous - they will be lucky to make finals.
    Yes best 6-8 and worst anywhere. They've got enough talent to win half of their games but I agree I think they miss the 8 again.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently James Hird left GWS in October and nobody noticed until now...

14. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's like that crazy Uncle at Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He's like that crazy Uncle at Christmas.
    The photo they posted of him gave that impression. I wonder what is next for James?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The photo they posted of him gave that impression. I wonder what is next for James?
    Not sure anyone on here actually cares.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a massive marketing pure play from the AFL/ GWS gaslighting engine room.

Possibly they get a sugar hit, possibly they fail. Possibly after Gill's gone and the AFL board turns over further they'll be tossed out of the competition.

I admire them for making the GF in 2019, I really do. That was a mammoth effort. But it hasn't steeled a supporter base, it was the end of a four or so year hit for the stars that didn't quite make it and the chance is gone. The only question now is for how long we can keep this affordability charade up given the AFL is likely to be eating shit sandwiches in a cost of living crisis that will last for the next couple of years, as target demographics struggle to pay mortgages and bills.

Our management across the inception years of expansion, and eventual premiership and post premiership years thereafter will go down as some of the best in Australian sporting history. We were fairly and squarely ****ed, and the AFL couldn't have timed it better (in theory) to **** us.

The seeing off of expansion is as great an achievement as the 2016 premiership in itself.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes hujsh, jazzadogs, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This is a massive marketing pure play from the AFL/ GWS gaslighting engine room.

Possibly they get a sugar hit, possibly they fail. Possibly after Gill's gone and the AFL board turns over further they'll be tossed out of the competition.

I admire them for making the GF in 2019, I really do. That was a mammoth effort. But it hasn't steeled a supporter base, it was the end of a four or so year hit for the stars that didn't quite make it and the chance is gone. The only question now is for how long we can keep this affordability charade up given the AFL is likely to be eating shit sandwiches in a cost of living crisis that will last for the next couple of years, as target demographics struggle to pay mortgages and bills.

Our management across the inception years of expansion, and eventual premiership and post premiership years thereafter will go down as some of the best in Australian sporting history. We were fairly and squarely ****ed, and the AFL couldn't have timed it better (in theory) to **** us.

The seeing off of expansion is as great an achievement as the 2016 premiership in itself.
    Cannot believe it took so long for someone to say it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

22. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Agree with last paragraph- well said Jeemak.

Personally I cannot admire a club that is a sickly AFL confection with a few remaining players that I still find extremely unlikeable (Grub, if you believe reports from back then …Hide from Drug Testers Twitfield), some that are still playing for other clubs (sour lolly face Cameron), an ex player seemingly as unsavoury in character as he was unlikeable on field (smiling Hymie, who much to my delight shirked a contested ball in 2016 prelim and was called out for doing so by one of commentators-still one of my fave schaudenfraude moments), who have had an association with IMO some AFL embarrassing clowns (ex EFC), surely the worst jumper and club song ever etc. etc.

Funnily enough one of the few players of theirs I could stomach (only just) back in the 2016 prelim days was Lobb. Hoping he kicks a bag when we play against them and that Grub puts in a stinker. A 50+ point drubbing by us will go down well. I hope they fold but very much doubt the AFL will let that happen to their love child. Should have been a Tassie Team instead of the plastics. They’d still lose loads of money but at least it would be for a location that would have been deserving and one that would have a heart.

24. Likes jeemak, Dry Rot, jazzadogs, Bulldog4life liked this post