Thanks Thanks:  98
Likes Likes:  1,022
Page 42 of 152 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292142 ... LastLast

Thread: MRO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRO Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Forget Greene for a minute, his conduct is unacceptable and has been in any era of the game - he will be dealt with.

The rest of the tactics from GWS were not a million miles away from what happens every week in every game. Jumper punching happens, putting extra mayo on a tackle/spoil happens, bumping into players as they run past happens. Brayden Maynard made Ablett's life miserable on Friday night in very similar ways to what tha GWS players did to us.

The players and coaches should have expected it - we all did on WOOF, talking about it in detail last week. Finals are for keeps - Saturday was a fantastic lesson for our young group.
    Watching on TV doesn't show the real picture of stuff happening behind play or around packs.

The umpires should have stopped it early with free kicks and 50 metre penalties, just like in the Hawks game.

What GWS did was not normal on a footy field. I haven't seen a team apply dirty tactics like that since the 80s.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Forget Greene for a minute, his conduct is unacceptable and has been in any era of the game - he will be dealt with.

The rest of the tactics from GWS were not a million miles away from what happens every week in every game. Jumper punching happens, putting extra mayo on a tackle/spoil happens, bumping into players as they run past happens. Brayden Maynard made Ablett's life miserable on Friday night in very similar ways to what tha GWS players did to us.

The players and coaches should have expected it - we all did on WOOF, talking about it in detail last week. Finals are for keeps - Saturday was a fantastic lesson for our young group.
    If GWS lost on Saturday the media scrum would’ve been all over Leon Cameron’s job.. no doubt the GWS players over-stepped the mark in some instances, and should’ve been held accountable to these action by the umpires, but the GWS coaching team 100% got their game style and matchups correct and played an extremely physical game against a young and inexperienced team.

4. Likes Sedat, Ozza, Funke disco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They did exactly what they needed to do, it was obvious a week out what was coming. We didn’t address it nearly well enough. Must find a way through that level of attention.

There was certainly more off the ball incidents and stuff beyond what a hard tag, scragging, physical contest looks like. Stamping, gouging, stacks on etc I think it is reasonable to call out and also have expected the umpires to address it. The threshold for a reversal or a 50m was far to generously assessed. In the moment? Players needed to engage. Fight. Summon some violence and really disrupt things. I think we were trying to play to the wrong conditions. The line was crossed, it should have been a blood bath.

6. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    If GWS lost on Saturday the media scrum would’ve been all over Leon Cameron’s job.. no doubt the GWS players over-stepped the mark in some instances, and should’ve been held accountable to these action by the umpires, but the GWS coaching team 100% got their game style and matchups correct and played an extremely physical game against a young and inexperienced team.
    Yep the players from the 70's and 80's would have loved it.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs duo charged by MRO

Western Bulldogs duo Zaine Cordy and Matt Suckling have been offered fines from the AFL Match Review Officer for incidents in Saturday’s elimination final against GWS Giants.

Cordy was charged with striking Giants tagger Matt de Boer in the first quarter.

He can accept a $2,000 sanction with an early plea.

The incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact and body contact.

Suckling can also accept a $2,000 sanction with an early plea, after being charged with forceful front-on contact against Giants midfielder Josh Kelly in the third quarter.

The incident was assessed as careless conduct, low impact and high contact.

Two Giants have also been charged for incidents involving Marcus Bontempelli.

Harry Himmelberg has been offered a $2,000 fine for striking, while Toby Greene has been referred directly to the tribunal for a charge of serious misconduct.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yep the players from the 70's and 80's would have loved it.
    I would've loved it if my team played that way too.. they absolutely monstered us.

And I'm not talking about the cheap shots, I'm talking about the other 98% of the time when they completely out-pointed us and left us bereft of any ideas.

10. Likes Sedat, 1eyedog, SonofScray, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I would've loved it if my team played that way too.. they absolutely monstered us.

And I'm not talking about the cheap shots, I'm talking about the other 98% of the time when they completely out-pointed us and left us bereft of any ideas.
    I was agreeing with you. Just reminded me of 70's/80's type of footy where anything goes and the umpiring encouraged it.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall the Cordy incident, but how is Matt Suckling offered the same penalty as Himmelberg.

Sucklingwent to bump, saw the error and tried to pull out, bafrely touching Kelly who suffered no ill effect.

Himmelberg threw a deliberate punch on an unaware opponent after play had stopped over the boundary. Bont took quite a time to recover. Definitely malicious intent.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I can't recall the Cordy incident, but how is Matt Suckling offered the same penalty as Himmelberg.

Sucklingwent to bump, saw the error and tried to pull out, bafrely touching Kelly who suffered no ill effect.

Himmelberg threw a deliberate punch on an unaware opponent after play had stopped over the boundary. Bont took quite a time to recover. Definitely malicious intent.
    Has anybody been rubbed out for stomach punches in 2019? Cunnington has done it 4 times and escaped suspension every single time.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody been rubbed out for stomach punches in 2019? Cunnington has done it 4 times and escaped suspension every single time.
    I understand your point, but it just highlights the hypocrisy.

A deliberate forceful punch is assessed the same as a harmless contact, where the offending player is actually trying to not hurt his opponent.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

A deliberate forceful punch is assessed the same as a harmless contact, where the offending player is actually trying to not hurt his opponent.
    Had Cunnington been rubbed out as promised in R1, the gut-punching epidemic would have stopped. The MRO has decreed, though their deliberations all season, that this is ok and only warrants a fine.

It is the most pissweak 'crackdown' I've ever seen.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

If Kelly's head wasn't ducked so that Suckling got his back instead Sucking would be missing matches next year. Got lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely

Had Cunnington been rubbed out as promised in R1, the gut-punching epidemic would have stopped. The MRO has decreed, though their deliberations all season, that this is ok and only warrants a fine.

It is the most pissweak 'crackdown' I've ever seen.
    AFL is a joke of an organisation and only survives because people love the game.

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If Kelly's head wasn't ducked so that Suckling got his back instead Sucking would be missing matches next year. Got lucky.
    Suckling barely touched him, it wasn't even a free kick, yet he has to pay $2k for nothing, plus they got another goal. AFL have lost the plot

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so sure Greene will be dealt with. He has been either found guilty or pleaded guilty 16 times in 7 years. He really should miss 8 matches just due to the sheer volume of incidents

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I'm not so sure Greene will be dealt with. He has been either found guilty or pleaded guilty 16 times in 7 years. He really should miss 8 matches just due to the sheer volume of incidents
    That was the reason why Redpath got 3 matches because of his previous indiscretions. Let us hope the tribunal is consistent.