Thanks Thanks:  98
Likes Likes:  1,022

Thread: MRO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRO Thread

I think you need to re-watch it. Lynch clearly changes the direction of his approach and cannons into the player.

Yes, Keath was running back, and yes I think players need to be less maniacal with how they run with the flight of the ball, but Lynch could have focused on contesting with Jones in the air but chose to go at Keath instead.

All he needed to do was turn his body and jump for the footy.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think you need to re-watch it. Lynch clearly changes the direction of his approach and cannons into the player.

Yes, Keath was running back, and yes I think players need to be less maniacal with how they run with the flight of the ball, but Lynch could have focused on contesting with Jones in the air but chose to go at Keath instead.

All he needed to do was turn his body and jump for the footy.

At this point lynch is watching the ball.

He had a split second to decide what to do with the guy running at him who wasn't playing the ball.

His mistake was leaving the ground, you have to protect ball players though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Ha - hardly dying.

If you take your eyes off the ball and run back with the flight into the path of the biggest guy on the ground do you think there's some personal responsibility there or just Lynch is a big meany and we should all play nice?

I've been injured with crazy defenders doing that. Until I learnt to use my knee. They don't do it again.

Personally I don't think he did too much wrong his momentum was going forward he had to brace for the guy recklessly running back towards him.

Possibly the leaving the ground will get him in trouble though I'd be leaning more towards a free only.

Keath really lost his head for a second there.

What do you think EW? Gone ski?
    I've said earlier in the thread that I think he should go but he won't.

I've also said this plenty of times before: I think if you've got time to decide between raising a knee to hurt someone or bracing, then you've also got time to decide to put your hands out and minimise the amount of impact that's going to happen between you.

For mine, Lynch clearly could have done this and chose not to.
    "It's over. It's all over."

4. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I've said earlier in the thread that I think he should go but he won't.

I've also said this plenty of times before: I think if you've got time to decide between raising a knee to hurt someone or bracing, then you've also got time to decide to put your hands out and minimise the amount of impact that's going to happen between you.

For mine, Lynch clearly could have done this and chose not to.
    Fair enough.

Still deciding whether Alex was brave or stupid he's the last guy I'd be stumbling towards blindly.

Post Thanks / Like

At this point lynch is watching the ball.

He had a split second to decide what to do with the guy running at him who wasn't playing the ball.

His mistake was leaving the ground, you have to protect ball players though.
    Not sure how you can say Keath wasn't playing the ball. They both look to have their eyes on the ball to me.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

7. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough.

Still deciding whether Alex was brave or stupid he's the last guy I'd be stumbling towards blindly.
    You know what, they just showed it again on the news and if we're fair dinkum Lynch deviates his course to run past the ball and snipes him.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Lynch case has been sent straight to tribunal.

Classified as careless, high contact and severe impact.

10. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post

I think Lynch deserves a suspension - but again, and I feel I'll be doing this weekly, Kozzie Pickett should have got more.

12. Likes Testekill, EasternWest, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    You know what, they just showed it again on the news and if we're fair dinkum Lynch deviates his course to run past the ball and snipes him.
    He clearly deviates to his left instead of contesting the mark to his right. If he had have done the latter he'd not have been running in as severely opposite direction to Keath.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he'd even attempted to contest the mark then there'd be no case to answer, just an unfortunate accident.

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

4 weeks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He ran past the line of the ball and made a direct line to Keath, he might have been going the ball in the first instance but watching it at a different angle he ended up a long way from the ball trajectory. He definitely wasn’t contesting the mark in the last few seconds .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Hypothetical: If Lynch didn?t have a fracture for which he will be for out for weeks anyway, and Tigers were playing in a GF next week would this still be the case?

When I saw slomo replay I thought all the above and came up with 3 week minimum. Totally agree Pickett?s suspension should have been longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Any narrative that Keath was somehow posing as much bodily danger to Lynch as himself is quite something.

Keath had completely pulled up before he was cannoned into by a bloke who was making zero attempt to mark the ball and every attempt to collect an opponent with all the velocity he had.

Unfortunately for Keath he completely stopped his momentum at roughly the same moment Lynch realised he'd badly judged the drop of the ball and was no chance of genuinely contesting it so chose to use his momentum to collect an opponent high and hard with a hip and shoulder he tucked and swung. The instant oopsy! arms in the air at the moment of contact was just *chef's kiss* too.

That Keath left himself prone here doesn't mean he's fair game and I suspect the tribunal will see it the that way.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

22. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've positioned myself as the counsel for the defence, I may as well continue as it's an enjoyable discussion.

Having played as a forward (~100 games at senior level) in a bad team, you find yourself constantly leading up at the ball carrier.

Invariably the ball would sail over my head by just enough that it was out of reach. I was a pretty slight kid back then, and played on man mountains (what are these guys eating?).

Defenders constantly filled my leading lanes tactically and if they hadn't made good position would run with the flight.

Now at this point as I'm steaming out with another guy on my tail I'm watching the ball.

You pick up the flight pretty quickly and determine it's going to go over, so I have a couple of choices with a defender coming at me front on :

1. I can bail out completely and cop the wrath of coaches, supporters, team mates.
    2. I can raise my arms and open myself up to what I'd determine to be the most dangerous injury to me as I've removed any self protection.
    3. I raise my arms and my knees knowing that it's going to cause damage.
    4. I turn my body and try and make it as safe as it can be for both players.

Mind you this is all happening in a split second, you only see the defender in your peripheral vision and you have no idea what the idiot behind you is going to do as he's probably just using you as the guide for reading the flight. Most times they will push you forward making the impact worse.

As my career progressed, I reckon I went down that scale of options until I landed at 3 or 4 dependant on a few factors until I wised up and gave it away (mug's game).

My honest belief is Lynch was protecting himself in the first instance, Keath had to know there was a leading player there or he's completely clueless. Once they both realised the kick wasn't great they adjusted, Lynch left the ground and turned, Keath slowed up.

Personally I'm grateful Lynch went the shoulder brace and not the far more damaging knees up route (those up close are pretty yuk).

I expect him to be cleared, it was self preservation and probably the only option.
    If he goes, expect more knees up Mother Brown as forwards will realise the turn option is removed.

In closing your honour, everyone who disagrees with this can get stuffed
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 10-04-2023 at 09:06 AM.

24. Thanks GVGjr, josie, macca thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, soupman, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post